Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
My wife and I had the great opportunity to meet and sit down for a discussion with Andreas Preuninger, head of special projects at Porsche inside the Weissach engineering and Motorsports facility. He was a charming gentleman, as you can tell from his videos. He made my wife feel very welcomed and comfortable. He is a "car guy" and knows his stuff for sure. I asked him how much he prepares for the interviews to insure he does not say the wrong things. His response was an emphatic - zero preparation, never! He says he speaks only the truth and from his heart. If he says the wrong thing, so what. "Management has gotten used to me saying too much but now they give me a long leash".

He did share a few things that P-niners might like to know, only 1 of which he asked I keep a secret for a couple of days until the official announcement. But, here are things I can share;

1. GT4RS - when I asked will there be a GT4RS his response was - "I think that is too many letters for a GT4, I don't like too much script on the rear end". He followed up with, no not now, not In this generation, and no plans in the future as it would be too close in price to the GT3.

2. PDK - I asked if they have had time to work on the PDK for a GT4. He replied, yes, the GT4 will be offered in customer choice PDK or manual soon. (Although this might not make sense today, in 3 days it will). This, in spite of the overwhelming success of the concept of getting back to the emotional part of the driving experience.

3. Max Wing Adjustment for the street - he said the manual says don't leave with max adjustment to meet requirements for visibility of the rear brake light, it has nothing to do with aero or fuel economy.

Human Fur

My only disappointment was not getting a photo together. They are very serious about no photos in Weissach and require everyone who enters the facility to lock up all phones and cameras. And, there is a special sign in, sign out procedure requiring co-signed documents by a Porsche employee.

Mr. Preuninger "Andy" as he prefers was kind enough to autograph my car. I feel very fortunate to have had this opportunity and I hope Porsche understands how much it means to the brand to have a champion like Andy lead the way to developing more emotional sports cars - like the GT4.

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but will definitely run with it - it will make good conversation at the track when I am going into my frunk for supplies. I do plan to have the underside of the wing clear coated to preserve the autograph - so long as it returns to the states intact!

Dude

do not wash your car

everrrrr>>>>>>>

Seriously. preserve the interior black piece. Buy an additional one and save the one he signed!

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was was thinking clear coat paint. Are you thinking the solvents in the paint would ruin the signature? Please tell me what you think the best way to preserve it. I was thinking clear bra will yellow over time.

You don't mean clear coat. That's paint. You mean clear bra, I presume. Good idea :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of my favorite movie quotes from Jeromy Irons playing Clous Van Bulawayo .... "You have no idea". This whole European a Delivery thing has been absolutely a dream, I'm in a fog right now. 1900 km in 5 days. I've stayed in a castle, in a fortification, on top of a winery, driven 2 of the Worlds Top Ten roads, been to Porsche Leipzig, Porsche Weissach, and Porsche Zuffenhausen, and I still have tomorrow's 6hr Endurance race to watch Porsche win in person, and Then I go to Nurburgring's driving school for the next 2 days. Whew!!!! I need a rest. No, we sleep another day! :cheers:

Wow.. You are living the dream! Awesome -Awesome, stuff Matt..:D
I'm guessing in 3 days we will here of regular production of the gt4?!?!?!!?:helpme::confused::banana:

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
You don't mean clear coat. That's paint. You mean clear bra, I presume. Good idea :)
Clear coat would work as well, just not sure how you could clean the paint to be sure that the CC would stick if there were any wax residue on the surface... PPF might present an issue with the alcohol...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was was thinking clear coat paint. Are you thinking the solvents in the paint would ruin the signature? Please tell me what you think the best way to preserve it. I was thinking clear bra will yellow over time.
Just a though...buy another wing and keep that one somewhere nice. That's what I would most likely do. Very special trip deserves a special memento.

·
Super Moderator
13,976 Posts
The wing already has clear coat. I don't see why you can't put some Xpel on the wing. That should preserve it warranted for 10 years. Even if it yellowed, you just have it removed and new clear bra put on.

The black interior piece I would just put in the house and buy a new one. It can't cost that much. Then when time to sell the car you have something special.

If this were me, I would clear bra the wing, and toss the black thing in the house and order a new piece of black plastic. Then you have something far more special than everyone else.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you do a clear bra put a pice of plastic over the Signature so the adhesive on the clear bra does not pull it out. Your clear coat on your car will make that signature not want to stay on very well. I would leave the one in the frunk as it is very well protected as is not going anywhere and can easily be displayed wherever you go. That's a really great conversation piece to be had at any event you might attend.

·
Incurable Gearhead
1,007 Posts
What a great story! It doesn't matter how often one's around a big guy like that, they never fail to impress. Yea, good on ya to preserve the writing and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Wow that's so cool, he's like the Carroll Shelby of Porsche! Congratulations.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Way to go Matt! Awesome experience. Thanks for sharing with us. How did you arrange to go to Weissach and talk with AP?

Not surprised to hear there are no plans for an RS version.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was very pleased he took the meeting. Not sure why. I did mention that I was an active member of The Planet-9 Forum :)

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.