Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where you can buy a high quality metal gas cap (e.g. billet aluminum or similar) that fits the 981? All I can find is the Porsche OEM faux-metal plastic cap. I also do not care if it says Porsche or not.

Any suggestions?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Does anyone know where you can buy a high quality metal gas cap (e.g. billet aluminum or similar) that fits the 981? All I can find is the Porsche OEM faux-metal plastic cap. I also do not care if it says Porsche or not.

Any suggestions?
It is really faux metal? My father-in-law just got a new Macan and he said it is aluminum. I am getting one for Christmas. I will be dissapointed to pay $154 for a plastic gas cap to replace my plastic gas cap that I will never see since I fill up in NJ where laws require the attendant to fill your tank, becasue of rediculous labor laws.......yes a run-on sentence.

Reactions: jtucker

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not know what came on the Macan. I do believe that the "aluminum look" cap is painted plastic. Maybe someone on P9 can v erify, but google search reveals the same info.

You may have hit on a great idea. If another model gets aluminum and it fits the 981, I will get one.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
maxspeed-motorsports

I had one of these on my 08 CS and my Cayman R. They are real aluminum. Go to the site and search for gas cap. It will come up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The Silver Sport Gas Cap for $150 is a big Hunk of Plastic.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I do not know what came on the Macan. I do believe that the "aluminum look" cap is painted plastic. Maybe someone on P9 can v erify, but google search reveals the same info.

You may have hit on a great idea. If another model gets aluminum and it fits the 981, I will get one.
I could not believe my eyes when I saw aluminuum "look" finish from German Premium sportscar company. They should know better. I am also disappointed to have sports steering wheel with aluminum finish look however there might be safety issues with the steering wheel but how come the gas cap is made of plastic giving aluminum look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Registered
751 Posts
I could not believe my eyes when I saw aluminuum "look" finish from German Premium sportscar company. They should know better. I am also disappointed to have sports steering wheel with aluminum finish look however there might be safety issues with the steering wheel but how come the gas cap is made of plastic giving aluminum look.

Weight savings :hilarious:

Reactions: chickahoy69

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice. That is sharp!
The fitment for the cap appears to be for the 987 2005-2013. Will this still fit the 981?
I spoke with max speed today. It does not work on the 981. It will screw in, but there is some valve or sensor inside the filler tube that will cause a problem. max speed said they are working this but don't expect anything until mid 2015 at the earliest.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I was going to purchase the "metal" Porsche cap until I saw that it was plastic. $150 for a piece of plastic is ridiculous.
But it's PORSCHE plastic! :sigh:

Reactions: Cantrax

·
Registered
47 Posts
I speced one original with my new Cayman. May be plastic, but better than black... and considering discount on order - it's free for me. A number of small items which add up to a final price become free after all... ie. I forgot to spec floor mats and call to dealer after spec was finalised and deposit paid. He added them to order free of charge without problem.
When I'll get mine, I post here... but it's a loooooong wait yet.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I wanted a metal gas cap. Since my car was bought off a dealer lot, I didn't have a choice but to order from an online dealer.

The black cap has a pliable rubber ring and tether that holds the cap to the car. It was fairly easy to remove from the cap and the knob that held the tether to the flap/cover. The replacement came with at least three hard plastic rings/tethers. It took all my force to get the new plastic ring on the knob. I broke one tether. There appears to be no push pin holding the tether on the 981s like the 986/7s or there is some way that was not documented on the internet at the time. Fortunately, the second tether was strong enough to slip over the knob on the flap and all has been well since.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I spoke with max speed today. It does not work on the 981. It will screw in, but there is some valve or sensor inside the filler tube that will cause a problem. max speed said they are working this but don't expect anything until mid 2015 at the earliest.
Bummer. I referred this to my friends. By the way , i showed this with Porsches aluminum look , she preferred the "look" one. Cannot understand her...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Bummer. I referred this to my friends. By the way , i showed this with Porsches aluminum look , she preferred the "look" one. Cannot understand her...

And that is exactly why they can charge $150

Reactions: chickahoy69

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seeing these comments on an "authentic" aluminum or aluminum "look" gas cap is pretty funny. It's not like you see it that often so who cares if its oem black plastic or not?

I'd be more concerned about a metal cap scratching the paint if you kept it on the tether... Even with the stock black cap, I am very careful when I unscrew mine and let it rest against the car during a fill up.

Reactions: BigAlCam

·
Registered
325 Posts
Seeing these comments on an "authentic" aluminum or aluminum "look" gas cap is pretty funny. It's not like you see it that often so who cares if its oem black plastic or not?

I'd be more concerned about a metal cap scratching the paint if you kept it on the tether... Even with the stock black cap, I am very careful when I unscrew mine and let it rest against the car during a fill up.
You do know that there is a "pin" on the stock gas cap that allows you to rest the the cap on the inside of the fuel door during fill-ups, right?
Does the "aluminum look" gas cap also have the "pin"?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts