Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to report a problem and the probably cause.
I suddenly picked up a metallic screeching noise while driving, that fluctuated between quiet enough to pretend to ignore it, to alarmingly loud.
I pulled over several times to inspect and could not find anything amiss. I had wondered if I had picked up a branch or wire which was stuck or dragging.
The noise seemed to be in the front wheels because jogging the steering wheel affected the noise.
Then the noise stopped.

My service advisor immediately diagnosed it as a pebble stuck between the brake rotor and the backing plate.
He advised me just to ignore if it happens again, because the only thing that could be done was to bring it in and put the car up on a lift.
I wondered about pumping the brakes and he thought that might help dislodge it.

Extra words for search index: rock, shriek

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Hi Paylors,
Thanks for the update. I have had this happen a few times on other cars. Best to first try driving backwards a bit to see if that dislodges the stone. Has worked for me in the past.

Btw, I have the PCCB brakes on my car and this IS my biggest fear with those brakes. A rock like that could permanently ruin a PCCB rotor. Very expensive to replace.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Happened to my right rear. Wore a slot in the rotor drum, resulting in an ugly rusty ring. Dealer was nice enough to replace under warranty.

Though I noticed the boxster loaner they gave me had slots worn on both sides. My advice... Drive super slow on any gravel surface and check regularly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you check for this? If you don't hear the noise, doesn't that mean there isn't anything stuck there.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Yep, that is my understanding too. Once the noise goes away the rock/pebble/whatever has probably been dislodged.

I'm my experience the sound is there one second then gone the next. Usually after hitting a bump it the road or stopping.

Since your tech said your car was ok I would assume it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts