Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am currently facing the following situation, I was running standard spec summer tires : 235/40/18 and 265/40/18
And now I need to change my summer tires for the first time, after reading several topics, it seems that going the : 245/40/18 and 275/40/18 is the way to go, unfortunately there is a shortage in europe for Michelin PSS tires with that specific size for the back (275/40/18), I called several shop and michelin themselves in France and they said the delay was mid to end of may, without any warranty.

Therefore I was thinking, since i want to eliminate as much understeer as possible (already have max camber in front without gt3 lower arms), would it be wise to run 1 size bigger in front, so 245 instead of 235 and buying the 265 for the back instead of the 275 which is not available before a long time.

Did anyone ran this configuration here ?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
You can also change characteristics by varying the tire pressure front and rear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I run Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions in size 245-40-18 on the front and size 265-40-18 on the rear. I went with the 245-40-18 tires for purely visual reasons, namely, to make the gap between each tire and wheel arch the same—it worked. :) Note that I have H&R lowering springs installed, which, on my 2006 Boxster S, produced a smaller aforesaid gap in the rear than in the front.

I run approximately –1 degree of camber in front and –2 in the rear, and my Boxster S is only driven on the street. I did notice slightly less push in my favorite roundabout with the above mentioned tires than when I ran 245-40-18 and 275-40-18 Nitto NT-05's, but that could be due to slight differences in alignment between the sets of tires or the tires themselves.

I really like the S-04's. They are a little stickier, more compliant, and quieter than the NT-05's, but they do not have the razor sharp turn-in of the NT-05's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts