Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the folks in AZ. I am close to buying some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires for my Boxster S. The dealer I would have install the tires has cautioned me about Michelins saying he sees a number of Michelins that don't deal with the kind of heat we get in the Tucson area. I am a little skeptical so hoping some of our AZ members can chime in.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That is total nonsense. Michelin PSC2 and P4S tires love being 140-160 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is total nonsense. Michelin PSC2 and P4S tires love being 140-160 degrees.

That was my thinking also but wondered if there were something related to just sitting in the heat for long periods. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in case there really was some kind of issue I wasn't aware of.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah that's whack--- though the opposite-- using summer tires in very cold conditions can lead to damage (according to Pirelli's documentation).

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It'll wear faster but you'll also have insane grip. Take an offramp at 90MPH no problem.

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
103 Posts
I live in Vegas and have the Pilot Sport 4s on my 981. Prior to that I have had three sets of the super sports on two different Subaru's and have never had an issue with the heat. Its a great tire.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Maybe the negative experience weren't with the hot Michelins.

·
Registered
832 Posts
One word; BUNK! I would however suggest you keep the tires at the comfort setting pressure as opposed to the highest setting when the temp is over 100F. I do this year round since I don't track the car and I don't drive it over 160mph, lol.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
For the folks in AZ. I am close to buying some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires for my Boxster S. The dealer I would have install the tires has cautioned me about Michelins saying he sees a number of Michelins that don't deal with the kind of heat we get in the Tucson area. I am a little skeptical so hoping some of our AZ members can chime in.

Thanks
As far as I'm concerned the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s are the best performance tire available. Unfortunately, I can't give you any data regarding extreme heat, but it's hard for me to believe that there would be a superior performance summer tire. Did the dealer guy recommend a tire? I'd be interested in hearing what he recommends.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as I'm concerned the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s are the best performance tire available. Unfortunately, I can't give you any data regarding extreme heat, but it's hard for me to believe that there would be a superior performance summer tire. Did the dealer guy recommend a tire? I'd be interested in hearing what he recommends.
He recommends Bridgestone. But I live in a retirement community and don't know if he is used to seniors wanting hi performance tires. While he seems to be good at flat repair, mounting alignment etc, I think his thoughts are colored by living in an old folks town. He did not recommend a specific Bridgestone and at this point I was already pretty sure I wasn't going to take his recommendation having done my due diligence.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hey I'm a senior and I resemble those remarks. lol BTW Bridgestone does not make a tire that is superior to either the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or 4S. You can take my word for it because I'm senior.
Bridgestone RE-71R is the best high-performance tire on the market right now and is not only superior in performance to the 4S, but also Sport Cup 2; it's the go-to competition tire for autocross and time trials that require genuine street tires (200tw). BFG RivalS and Nexen SUR4G are right up there, too. It's a full performance class above the 4S and is what I DD and compete on. It's also backordered nationally in our sizes, but should be back in stock soon. The 4S is a great performance luxury tire and loved in this board, and 4S or Conti ECS are probably the right tire for most people here, but 4S is by no means the end-all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bridgestone RE-71R is the best high-performance tire on the market right now and is not only superior in performance to the 4S, but also Sport Cup 2; it's the go-to competition tire for autocross and time trials that require genuine street tires (200tw). BFG RivalS and Nexen SUR4G are right up there, too. It's a full performance class above the 4S and is what I DD and compete on. It's also backordered nationally in our sizes, but should be back in stock soon. The 4S is a great performance luxury tire and loved in this board, and 4S or Conti ECS are probably the right tire for most people here, but 4S is by no means the end-all.
While the RE-71R may be quicker on an autocross course it is bit much to call it a genuine street tire. At best it can be called a SCCA legal "street" autocross tire that can be tolerated on the street.

·
Registered
810 Posts
While the RE-71R may be quicker on an autocross course it is bit much to call it a genuine street tire. At best it can be called a SCCA legal "street" autocross tire that can be tolerated on the street.
RE-71R structure, belts, etc., are all solid street tire: it's not one of those DOT semi-slicks like Hoosier A7, it's a genuine street tire and works GREAT on the street. I've been daily driving RE-71R since they first came out in 2015 and honestly have never had a better street tire, it's just fantastic. Dry grip is, well, competition level and damp/light wet grip is better than most tires do it the dry. It's not as hydroplane resistant as tires like Conti DW thanks to the giant water blocks, but it still pumps water very well and works fine at highway speeds (70mph+) even in heavy rain.

MPSC2 is an r-compound track tire that can be streeted; RE-71R is a street tire that can be tracked. What's amazing is that they're both virtually the same lap times, technology is increasing that fast!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Bridgestone RE-71R is the best high-performance tire on the market right now and is not only superior in performance to the 4S, but also Sport Cup 2; it's the go-to competition tire for autocross and time trials that require genuine street tires (200tw). BFG RivalS and Nexen SUR4G are right up there, too. It's a full performance class above the 4S and is what I DD and compete on. ....
I posted this same statement on this site and on the Cayman Register . org site a year ago and all the Michelin fan boys came out flaming away. I don't know why people take it personal when you say that there is something better available, especially when you have the laptimes to compare and prove it.
The Bridgestone RE-71R tires are smoother on the freeway, quieter, and provided MUCH better grip than my previous set of Michelins. I'm also an instructor and I drive student's cars every month at HPDEs and I haven't driven on any tire in the past 13 months that grips better than the RE-71R.
For strictly street use, I really like the Yokohama Advent tires. Almost as much grip as the Bridgestones with an even more luxurious ride.

Back to the OP's original concern, the Michelins can and will harden due to the heat, as will any tire. Our problem is unique in Az. Our road surface temps due get so hot that the asphalt softens and melts. Driving in 100˚+ heat is a heat cycle just like overheating your tires on the track. When the ambient is 100˚ the road is over 160˚ and when the ambient is 110˚ the road temp approaches 180˚ We all know that a tire will heat cycle only x number of times before the rubber hardens and grip diminishes. When we have 25 days of 110˚+ and 40 days of 100˚+ temps every summer, you have effectively heat cycled your tires past their limit. Never buy new performance tires in the spring or early summer in Phoenix, the tires will be hard and useless by Thanksgiving. Few places in the US have the extreme heat issues that we experience here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.