Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While getting some scratches fixed up the body shop tried to sell me on coating my car with something they call Micro-seal Anti-Corrosion Formula.

The schpeel is that it was designed to protect aircraft, but can be used to protect your car from corrosion, oxidation, etc. and gives it a 'wet'. Supposedly it lasts for years. Also, a sealed car doesn't need to be waxed—just washed. The application process looks a little like waxing from what I could tell. He said it would run about $450 to seal my 2007 CS. Their website has more details.

He showed me a few sealed cars and they look pretty good, but I'm trying to find out what the downsides are. Google is not helpful as it looks like this body shop is the only one to sell under this Micro-Seal name.

Does anyone know what this product really is or have experience using it (or something similar)?

·
Registered
747 Posts
i still remember the $200 dealer Poly Glycoat days in the 70s.Same game different name. Save your money and stay with wax. If needed polish with a good orbital buffer and super fine polish . i bought a Rupes 21 works great and fast, plus safe on the thin paint porsche puts on. carl

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
might be similar to stuff called "Ammo". Check out a guy called "Ammo NYC" on youtube. He does some good work, and puts that stuff on some HIGH END cars.

·
Registered
617 Posts
This is probably a coating, but I've never heard of it. Check out Opti-Coat, a permanent coating that is widely used by detailing professionals. One thing, you want to make sure the paint is in the best possible condition before a permanent coating. Detailer's Domain (a site sponsor) does these coatings and would be an excellent resource.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Even with these coatings the paint still picks up mirco scratches ect. Over the years ive tried a lot of them and the cost/reward ratio just isn't there. Your still better off buying a good orbital and learning how to maintain the finish your self. Once you get the paint in shape you can put on your favorite sealant in 45 minutes. I like Blackfire wet diamound goes on and comes off easy holds up for months. A bottle is $40 and you can get 10-15 applications out of it. So its about $4 per coat. carl

·
Registered
34 Posts
Paint is your corrosion protection. Metal can't corrode if it's coated in paint.

Now... if he was going to coat your undercarriage with that, then there might be something to it.

Sounds like that Klasse or Wolfgang type polymer sealant - which isn't a scam, jut different than wax.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Sounds more like a permanent coating like Simoniz, rather than a polymer sealant. I made the mistake of having one of these coatings put on an Xterra. After a month, it lost its "water and dirt shedding" abilities, and crud stuck to it like glue. Nothing I did ever made it look right again.

Be very afraid. If if sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Clay bar and put on one of the good sealants from any of the reputable suppliers.....check DD sponsor on our site. Use detailer spray on a freshly washed car with micro fiber towel to keep the surface refreshed and high shine in between sealant or wax applications. In fact, I use detailer spray on the wet car before wipe down, it seems to enhance the process and the resultant shine.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I wouldn't spend $450 on that stuff but it's your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts