Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
If this car every spawns a road going model (and I think that's a big if) the car will unlikely be a 911. Nowdays most Porsches look similar. The Panamera looks like a Cayman/Boxster, especially in the headlight and hood area, and the Cayman/Boxster look like the 911 in the rear window area. Even the Macan has a resemblance to the cars. And Porsche loves to invent new names for its models, like 718, which was as unnecessary as tits on a bull. After 50+ years, having a rear engined Porsche as the flagship vehicle may not be the best business tactic, especially when the parent company is writing checks for billions of dollars with no apparent end in sight... Yes, all those aficionados who can't afford real air-cooled 911s from the 70s, 80s, and 90s will want Porsche to continue to make a car with the engine in the wrong place, but I'd put money down that even Porsche will some day dump the rear engine design. They tried before and lost, but times, they are a changin'

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
If this car every spawns a road going model (and I think that's a big if) the car will unlikely be a 911. Nowdays most Porsches look similar. The Panamera looks like a Cayman/Boxster, especially in the headlight and hood area, and the Cayman/Boxster look like the 911 in the rear window area. Even the Macan has a resemblance to the cars. And Porsche loves to invent new names for its models, like 718, which was as unnecessary as tits on a bull. After 50+ years, having a rear engined Porsche as the flagship vehicle may not be the best business tactic, especially when the parent company is writing checks for billions of dollars with no apparent end in sight... Yes, all those aficionados who can't afford real air-cooled 911s from the 70s, 80s, and 90s will want Porsche to continue to make a car with the engine in the wrong place, but I'd put money down that even Porsche will some day dump the rear engine design. They tried before and lost, but times, they are a changin'
You've interspersed two thoughts here: making this a road car and the 911 continuing.

Look at their literature. They say 911 DNA, including the Macan. All the visible design flows from the 911

Now the racing car. I do believe they had every intention of building a FeFi. VW got in the way. And it would have been the new top of the line model, just like the 928 was the replacement for the 911. Didn't work out well for the 928 but we are talking big money here. I doubt it would phase the 911 buyers. They would buy two. There is a LOT of money out there when you hit the 911 Turbo range and last time it was recorded from PCNA, ~ 1/2 of all 911s were Turbos. They could do it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
21 - 23 of 23 Posts