1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's a reality. A mid-engined Corvette. For purposes of discussion I am lumping the 981 and 718 together versus the new Corvette. If you had a do over and between 60K and 80K to burn, which dealer gets your money, Porsche or GM?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27116013/chevrolet-corvette-c8-mid-engine-confirmed-2020/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflowTWCD&src=socialflowTW
I am super pumped about the C8 but there is no way in hades I’d buy one from the first year or two of production. Way too many bugs to work out.

Down the line, well, a lot of that will depend on the interior. I could see keeping my 911 and replacing my 981 BGTS with a C8 rather than a four pot Boxster.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’ve owned seven Vettes over the years but since they are not planing a manual I’m out. If they come out with one later I’m back in.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It would be fun to drive them all, but my experiences with GM in the past is...they would be near the bottom of any vehicle buying list along with FCA. IOW not seriously considered. Now if for some reason it comes out with a quality build and performance... Immho a smaller, lighter vette (split window motif?) closer to those early models with maybe 250hp or so EV horsepower would be something they could sell a lot of.

That said I'm not in the market as my CFO would not agree to a new ride.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a reality. A mid-engined Corvette. For purposes of discussion I am lumping the 981 and 718 together versus the new Corvette. If you had a do over and between 60K and 80K to burn, which dealer gets your money, Porsche or GM?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27116013/chevrolet-corvette-c8-mid-engine-confirmed-2020/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflowTWCD&src=socialflowTW
I am super pumped about the C8 but there is no way in hades I’d buy one from the first year or two of production. Way too many bugs to work out.

Down the line, well, a lot of that will depend on the interior. I could see keeping my 911 and replacing my 981 BGTS with a C8 rather than a four pot Boxster.
The interior is supposed to be an improvement over the last generation according to these spy shots.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27017451/chevrolet-c8-corvette-gauges/

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I’ve owned seven Vettes over the years but since they are not planing a manual I’m out. If they come out with one later I’m back in.
I know what the article stated, but I just can't believe that GM would offer a Corvette without a MT. So I still hold out hope for a MT C8.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I'd only consider a C8 if it could be bought and serviced somewhere other than a GM dealer.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a 2014 981 CS in agate gray. To me one of the most beautiful shapes ever, I may be a fan club of one, lol. But, I just love the car both to look at and to drive. So as far as the Corvette is concerned I'd have to see it in person inside and out. Personally I would be very surprised if it measured up but we'll see.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Supercar performance for 60K is very tempting, and the maintenance costs are so much less, but credit to a poster on another forum for this take:

"The one advantage that the Cayman still has is that it’s *tight*. I don’t know how else to describe it, but a Corvette is faster, more comfy, cheaper, but it feels kind of loose and flabby. Every Cayman I’ve been in feels lean and intentionally designed in a way that no american car I’ve driven has felt. The C7 Corvette is a bit longer, the V8 is a bit lazier than the flat 6 (I pretend that the 4 cylinder versions don’t exist) and the fit and finish is good but still sort of Cadillac-level luxury, not Obsessive German Engineering levels of quality.

This becomes more evident when you look at a 10 year old Porsche Cayman with 80,000 miles vs a 10 year old Corvette with 80,000 miles. The Corvette is probably still a monster to drive, but it’ll look more dated, the leather will be wrinkly and the plastic panels will be not quite aligned right. A 10 year old Cayman generally still holds up.

Also, and this is totally subjective, I find it hard to imagine a mid-engine corvette looking nearly as beautiful and well-proportioned as a Porsche Cayman."

·
Registered
71 Posts
We'll see if the real MSRP is $60,000. At $70,000 the mid-engine Corvette would be a steal, as long as performance levels are commensurate with current generation Corvette.

I cross shopped a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport before ordering a CGTS. My wife did not like the Corvette, and the car I looked at reeked of fiberglass. The smell was so strong that I have to believe there was a production error of some sort.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts

While I do not have money to burn, although some might think so ;), if I were thinking of moving 'up' to that yet not announced 718 Spyder with a 400HP flat 6 I would have to throw in about $60k to make it happen and oh yes, give them my 2016 BGTS as well...

So I am seriously looking at the C8, of course up here in Canada it won't be $60-80K, more like $100K, which considering my 2016 BGTS was $104K before taxes makes the 2020 C8 Corvette seem like a bargain!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lots of good comments here, so here is my take:

I've never owned a Corvette, but I've owned several GM products. I know the Corvette is a pretty damn good car and a strong value for the $$, BUT...

My 2014 981 BS has 40K miles, including winters in New England, it's a daily driver, has done ~25 autocrosses, ~12 track days, been thru 6 sets of tires and 1 set of brake pads. It still looks great, runs perfectly, has no squeaks or rattles, everything works, and nothing has ever broken on it. I doubt you will EVER get that result from a GM product, at any price.
I rest my case!

Tim

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I kinda tell people that I am a pretty good driver so they bought it and let me be instructor for PCA, POC, BMW, ... so I had chances to drive many different cars and I am telling you that the Corvette C7 is pretty amazing and I can only guess that C8 would be better.

If you're big guys the C8 might be better, if you're little guy like me 5'8" / 140 lbs then 981/982 would be better.
If you like to carve corners they are both good but Porsche have a little advantage.
If you like the push to the seat then C8 won easily.

It's all personal preferences. For me with one car I'd picked the Porsche but if I can affort it then I would get both.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I had a ‘61 Olds 88 in 1970. Then a ‘65 Beatle in ‘71. Nothing but Audi, VW, a Volvo for me wife, and Porsches for me. It would be very hard to get over that Olds and even consider a
Even though the bug wouldn’t start in the rain and I had to park facing downhill—I later modded it and cured it—I still loved that bug and hated the Olds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 981 CS in agate gray. To me one of the most beautiful shapes ever, I may be a fan club of one, lol. But, I just love the car both to look at and to drive. So as far as the Corvette is concerned I'd have to see it in person inside and out. Personally I would be very surprised if it measured up but we'll see.
I'm with you on this. I had a 2015 981 Cayman and the look of it just somehow made my pulse race - absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately, it was a 6 speed manual and my knee/ankle just wouldn't handle the clutch anymore so I traded it for a 2014 911 Carrera. I'll probably be tarred and feathered for this, but I really feel like the mid engine Cayman handled better than the rear engine 911. It just felt like you could take a tight curve at almost any speed without breaking the rear end loose. That being said, the 911 is faster and the PDK transmission is phenomenal, the interior is virtually identical to the Cayman and the interior noise (engine/road noise) is significantly less. But...the shape just lacks something to my eye. As for a Corvette.... nah, it's not a Porsche!! In my mind, a Corvette is steroid pumped muscle whereas a Porsche is speed, agility and finesse. Kung Fu vs. street brawling!

·
Registered
176 Posts
It will take a while for them to perfect it. But, I think eventually, the Corvette mid-engine will be an outstanding car and will be less $$ than a Cayman/Boxster. But, it will take a few years. Porsche have been manufacturing mid-engine cars steadily since 1997 and started with the Spyder back in the '50s. Hell, even Lotus eventually got it right after starting with the Europa (I had one). One thing is certain: you'll be able to get an oil change for less than $550.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know that this really changes anything honestly. I didn't buy a Porsche simply because it was a mid-engined. I love my Boxster S because I don't see them too often on the road and it's great fun to drive. For driving on the street my car has plenty of power. I love being a member of PCA Chesapeake and taking part in all the events. I wouldn't want to give up my PCA membership to become a member of the Corvette club. With all that being said, the Corvette has always offered unbelievable performance for the dollar and if the pricing is accurate this car will be a massive hit for Chevy.

1 - 20 of 326 Posts