Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

181 - 200 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a 718 Boxster GTS which I track 3-4 times a month. Was waiting for the GT4, but a bit disappointed in its numbers relative to the GTS. I’m sure it will be a great car though. The new C8 looked too good to pass on however. I put down my money yesterday. Will be at MSRP.
It is a very tempting step forward for Corvette, however I would be scared to death to go near it for at least two model years to see what issues crop up in the real world. Too much has changed vs. prior model years, and they still haven't sorted all of the issues on those models.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I agree. I’d be surprised if there are no issues, but it looks so good, that I couldn’t resist.
Good luck and I guess someone has go first! I hope its awesome for you with little to no drama, and it will be great to hear your experiences with it once you get it

·
Registered
186 Posts
Still keeping the 718 though. Love that car!
Excellent, looking forward to a comparison post!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
In the pics I have seen the gas cap door appears as though it is at the back of the car. Where did they put the gas tank?

Also, while this car will ultimately do some damage to Porsche, it is truly bad news for Ford I think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The new GT4 or the C8? I'm in the market and darn the C8 looks good on paper. I have a jug of Porsche Kool-aid in the fridge, but at almost half the price of a GT4 reasonably configured, it makes you pause. I've never driven a corvette, but plenty pass my Cayman S on the track. I agree the quality is a question, the first year of a totally new car is a big question. So, I'll wait for a test drive of a C8. I know what a Cayman is and can do and since I'm waiting for a PDK on the GT4 the timing may be just right.

The one concern I do have is brakes for the C8. Even the Z51 package (4 piston ft & rr, 335mm, 350mm) seems small for the additional weight the car carries?

The devil on the left should says I can buy the C8, enclosed trailer and a used 2012 Cayenne to tow it with for the price of the GT4 and the devil on the right should says I can drive the GT4 to the track and have more seat time. K

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Your right about the brakes. They do seem a tad small, but the Boxster only has 330/298 front rear.
Yes, the regular 718 come with 330/299 but the Spyder/GT4 come standard with 380mm F/R and the optional PCCB are 410/390mm F/R

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
In the pics I have seen the gas cap door appears as though it is at the back of the car. Where did they put the gas tank?

Also, while this car will ultimately do some damage to Porsche, it is truly bad news for Ford I think.
It certainly has caused me to pause... although the price quoted is for the base, not Z51 or all of performance goodies... I would like to get on their configurator and spec out a car similar to the Spyder or GT4.

So that gas tank is right where it seems, just behind the driver in the very tight space between the engine and the mid-bulk head.

2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-120-1563510650.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
From looking at the current Stingray configurator, my guess is the Z51 package and 2LT trim, high wing and magnetic ride control should be no more than 85K.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What I'll say is, good thing Porsche put the 4.0l in the Spyder/GT4, and we can pretty much be assured they will live up to the early reviews, otherwise there would be even more C8 converts!

Still I can see a C8 finding a home in my garage in the future...

·
Registered
878 Posts
It certainly has caused me to pause... although the price quoted is for the base, not Z51 or all of performance goodies... I would like to get on their configurator and spec out a car similar to the Spyder or GT4.

So that gas tank is right where it seems, just behind the driver in the very tight space between the engine and the mid-bulk head.

View attachment 208761
This seems like a bad idea TBH. I wonder why they didn’t put it up front. Any idea? Crash safety problems? It seems like a trade-off between having volatile fuel next to a hot engine and exhaust and high-speed collision risks.

I would have put it up front for weight balance alone...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
This seems like a bad idea TBH. I wonder why they didn’t put it up front. Any idea? Crash safety problems? It seems like a trade-off between having volatile fuel next to a hot engine and exhaust and high-speed collision risks.

I would have put it up front for weight balance alone...
I would only be guessing, but I was thinking they kept it close to the center of the car to minimize its effect on the force required to rotate the car about its axis... But maybe it was just where it fit best?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anybody who thinks this isn’t going to affect Porsche sales or even sales of the new Supra is living in an alternate reality. At least in the U.S.

·
Registered
607 Posts
How is it Chevy keeps the price so low? To make up margin in volume? If so, they have likely hit the mark still assuming the car has no major flaws.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Not sure how much fun it would be up in the mountains. Since the last car I owned before a long stent with company SUVs was an MR2, the Cayman feels big to me. The C8 is a giant. I'll never have the opportunity to own one, even been considering selling the 981 since we need 2 cars and my wife doesn't want to drive the Porsche.

181 - 200 of 326 Posts