Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.

I have searched for similar threads but couldn't find any.

I have a 2010 CS. Done 700kms till now. I am getting a mileage of as low as 5kpl. I have manual tranny, no pdk.
What about you guys? Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
That's very low. For US guys, that's ~12 MPG.

If you drive very, very hard all the time, like race track, that might be believable. I get 50% more kpl normally.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have a 2010 CS with MT and 2800 km so far and my gas consumption is within the range stated by Porsche. I do drive hard but never to the redline.
What you have does not seem to be normal. :thanks:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Does the car run smooth? is the fuel 98RON? this is the first thing to watch out for.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the prompt reply.

Ya i guess i have been driving it pretty rough lately.
I am filling around 91 octane of fuel.

I thought this thing was ment to be drove hard and still give around 9kpl.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . .Ya i guess i have been driving it pretty rough lately.
I am filling around 91 octane of fuel.

I thought this thing was ment to be drove hard and still give around 9kpl.
Acceleration = Fuel

You have to remember that when car companies or the EPA does their mileage testing, it is driving a certain profile, in a very conservative manner, to get the highest mileage figure possible. In the case of the EPA's testing, I believe their maximum highway speed is limited to 60 mph.

So, if you want the maximum mileage, you need to drive like an old granny with an egg between your foot and the go pedal. ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
To date, I'm averaging around 18.5 on the street and 10.8 on the track. Long trips on the highway around 27+ :) I drive the car the way it was meant to be with shifts at or near redline most of the time; that's where the power is! The other thing I've noticed is that after about 3500 miles, the motor seems to be loosening up and "feels" faster.

How are you measuring: via trip computer or manually? Something seems wrong if you're getting that little mileage. Like I mentioned above, I barely get that low even at the track.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no idea why is this happening. This cars are ment to be fast.
@ chrisf if you are getting good on track, why am i getting so low?

I keep the revs sometimes at 5000 or 6000 rpm.
I noted it manually.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've found that higher gas consumption is normal during break-in. That coupled with your driving habits, makes 12mpg seem ok to me. Any freeway driving?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you done any performance mods (tune, exhaust, intake, plenum)?
No mods. Noting yet.

I've found that higher gas consumption is normal during break-in. That coupled with your driving habits, makes 12mpg seem ok to me. Any freeway driving?
Yes i have done freeway driving alot.

·
Registered
732 Posts
That's very low. For US guys, that's ~12 MPG.

If you drive very, very hard all the time, like race track, that might be believable. I get 50% more kpl normally.
**** I get 23 MPG in daily driving in my 07 CS with 25 K miles on it.. It takes 5-10 K miles to get the engine "loose". I try to keep the RPM's at 2800-3000 in normal driving. This is the "sweet spot". All this takes into account pulling away from a light, passing, & and a few blasts to the red line.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I pretty much drive 100% in city traffic, about 75% with Sport mode on, on a daily basis in my 2009 CS w/ PDK and I'm averaging around 20.5mpg. IMO that's very good compared to my 2006 CS w/ 6MT, which was averaging about 17.5mpg in the same conditions WITHOUT Sport mode being on.

For long trips on the highway, mileage increases as expected - around 27-30mpg.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Hello guys.

I have searched for similar threads but couldn't find any.

I have a 2010 CS. Done 700kms till now. I am getting a mileage of as low as 5kpl. I have manual tranny, no pdk.
What about you guys? Is this normal?
That's very low. If you are driving the car on very short trips where it doesn't warm up, you can get low economy like that. Another way is to only do "show off" driving...like keeping the car nice and clean in the garage until a friend comes over and then running out to "see what it'll do."

These are both bad ways to break in a new car. Make sure the car is FULLY warm before flogging it. That means more than just the coolant gage being up to temp. Drive the car conservatively at least 15 minutes before you go for it, especially in cold weather.

The only other way I've used that much fuel is at the track. I got 7.8mpg on my M3 once. :banana: It's fun to set the computer right before you go out and see your MPG for the day.

The old fuel injection systems had warm-up regulators that squirted extra fuel until the car warmed up. When one of these broke, the car would run rich all the time and use excessive amounts of fuel, but the new systems are digital. When digital systems break, they don't generally operate at all, so it's probably not that. If you're driving habits aren't like those above, it could be some issue during the prep of your new car.

Best thing to do is take it back to the dealer and have it checked out. I'm sure they'll want to see it if you tell them the MPG you're getting. That just ain't right!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks sixisenuff!! thanks alot. That was a useful information.

I have read your points and i am gonna use them. I will warm up the engine always. And i'll even take it to the dealer soon.

:thanks:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts