Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who on the forum has the highest mileage 987.1? Any engine mods to attribute to the longevity, or just stock? I have 65,000 on my CS and have the motorsports AOS and the Mantis Sport 1.5 quart deep sump. I change the oil every 5,000 miles for the past 50,000 and prior to that it was every 7,500. I use Mobil1 turbo diesel blend 5w/40. No known mechanical problems to date and I drive it hard at times and frequently to redline (7,000 RPM's).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mine only has 35k on the clock. I test drove another 2006 that had 98k last fall. Drove fine, but I wasn't interested in buying one with that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll hit 85,000 miles in my 2006 CS sometime in the next two weeks. I change the oil every 8,000 to 10,000 miles, depending on how much I was doing spirited weekend driving as opposed to just driving to work on the interstate. Generally I am not an aggressive driver around town, so the car will rarely get above 5000 RPM if I'm not in the twisties.

Most of the time I have owned the car it was stock; recently I added the FVD Brombacher X-51 style oil pan. At the same time I had the IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body installed, at which time we noticed that the AOS was starting to fail. It was replaced with a new stock unit.

The car still drives just fine, and since I've gotten so much useful info from others posting here and sharing their experience and expertise, I do my small part and post whenever the car needs work. I've owned the car for 2 years now, and here's a quick recap of the repairs it's needed:
(bought in April 2011 with ~44K miles, under warranty until 60K)
--replaced TPMS sensors ~50K
--replaced primary cats ~55K
--replaced shift linkage ~64K
--replaced clutch ~64k
--replaced flywheel ~64k
--replaced one wheel bearing ~65k
--replaced water pump ~75k
--replaced AOS ~82K

The mileage numbers for repairs are off the top of my head, but they should be fairly close. Hope the information is useful.

·
Registered
112 Posts
06CS with a tad over 26k miles. 2.5k of which are mine since Sept (I travel). The car still looks near showroom condition and I plan on keeping it that way.:dance:

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,758 Posts
Any preemptive engine mods for longevity?
X51 pan & 996 AOS. OH, rebuilt engine at 105,000 :hilarious:

Edit: I think my engine blew because I ran it to 7000 RPMs too many times. I suggest shifting at 6000 to 6500 RPMs to give your car a longer life.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is really no reason why these cars can't live and enjoy the high reliability of similar modern cars, i.e. 200k miles without major incident (given the care they generally receive they should actually see more

The drivetrains in the 987 are not highly stressed, nor do they put out extraordinary power figures for their displacement. They are nice tractable engines that sound good, but again they are not highly stressed. Just remember, just because its a sports car doesn't mean it doesn't need to be warmed up properly (major issue as many believe they are 'designed' to be revved from the get go as they are 'sports cars')

If a modern Porsche cannot reliably drive 150-200k miles, my 987.2 will be my last Porsche.

M. Zinnen - were your cats replaced under warranty? That is really low mileage for failed cats and should have fallen under warranty as dictated by EPA. Also find it strange that the shift linkage required changing. (hopefully i am not coming off as an a-hole, I just find your problems strange for a car of this mileage)

·
Registered
110 Posts
2008 CS with mods and 34400 miles.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bought with 33k last year and have a tad under 43k now I've changed the oil twice, bought new tires and had an alignment so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2006 here with a whopping 14500k miles. Only about 350 are mine though, I intend to rectify that problem starting this weekend!

The previous owner really babied it too much with about 2000miles a year. On the flip side, it really is brand new inside and out except for the accident that made him sell the car. Easy repairs for someone used to it though but I can see how it could break a proud original owner's heart.

·
Registered
130 Posts
M. Zinnen - were your cats replaced under warranty? That is really low mileage for failed cats and should have fallen under warranty as dictated by EPA. Also find it strange that the shift linkage required changing. (hopefully i am not coming off as an a-hole, I just find your problems strange for a car of this mileage)
Yes, the cats were replaced under warranty. My car was still under the extended CPO at the time, but as you pointed out, they would have been covered under Federal mandate anyway (they were replaced in December 2011). When I posted here about having the cats replaced, I was told by other posters that apparently the primary cats were prone to early failure on the early Caymans. I hadn't encountered that info reading up on the cars before I bought mine, but as it cost me nothing more than a trip to the dealer, and means I should have cats that are good for many more years, oh well.

No need to worry about coming off the wrong way, the linkage cable issue was/is not something that one should normally expect in a car with this mileage. I don't want to rehash the whole thing and stir up a hornet's nest, but that was the one repair I've done that really made me irate. Partly due to the bad luck that it happened just as the car went out of warranty, and partly because it does seem to be a weak point with these cars. The same week that I posted about mine needing to be fixed, there were two other posters here with the exact same problem. I will say that although Porsche denied the goodwill claim the dealer put in on my behalf, after I wrote to Porsche stating my position on the matter, Porsche did send me a parts/service voucher which was approximately equal in value to the cost of the parts, which is what the goodwill claim would have covered. So even if it took a bit of time, I was satisfied with Porsche's response in the end.

·
Registered
130 Posts
X51 pan & 996 AOS. OH, rebuilt engine at 105,000 :hilarious:

Edit: I think my engine blew because I ran it to 7000 RPMs too many times. I suggest shifting at 6000 to 6500 RPMs to give your car a longer life.
DMN987S, what is your experience with your new engine--the rebuild experience and now that you've driven it a bit? I've considered whether I might have mine rebuilt at some point in the future and would love to hear about how satisfied you are with yours. Do you notice the extra power/torque around town? during "spirited" off-track driving? or really only on the track?

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,758 Posts
DMN987S, what is your experience with your new engine--the rebuild experience and now that you've driven it a bit? I've considered whether I might have mine rebuilt at some point in the future and would love to hear about how satisfied you are with yours. Do you notice the extra power/torque around town? during "spirited" off-track driving? or really only on the track?
I'm loving it so far. My engine was rebuilt by Flat 6 Innovations in Ga. I feel I have the ultimate Daily Driver/Track Machine. It's a 3.6L with upgraded internals, I told Jake (the builder) the most important thing was driveability. The car runs great, the rebuild runs around 20K assuming you didn't destroy the block and crank like I did. First track weekend will be next month at Barber, can't wait. :banana:

HP - 330
TQ - 290 (3.6L GT3 has 275 TQ)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm loving it so far. My engine was rebuilt by Flat 6 Innovations in Ga. I feel I have the ultimate Daily Driver/Track Machine. It's a 3.6L with upgraded internals, I told Jake (the builder) the most important thing was driveability. The car runs great, the rebuild runs around 20K assuming you didn't destroy the block and crank like I did. First track weekend will be next month at Barber, can't wait. :banana:

HP - 330
TQ - 290 (3.6L GT3 has 275 TQ)
Thanks for the quick reply. From what I saw on Flat 6's webpage, would it be safe to assume you went with either the Stage II or III build option? The HP you posted is at the crank, right? Do you have other mods (exhaust, etc) aside from the engine build to get those figures?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have 147,680 on my '06. Nothing to bolster the engine, just Softronic plenum & tune.

Haven't had to do a rebuild yet, even though I know I've got a scant few stage-4 over revs. :beer:

·
Registered
667 Posts
--replaced TPMS sensors ~50K
--replaced primary cats ~55K
--replaced shift linkage ~64K
--replaced clutch ~64k
--replaced flywheel ~64k
--replaced one wheel bearing ~65k
--replaced water pump ~75k
--replaced AOS ~82K

The mileage numbers for repairs are off the top of my head, but they should be fairly close. Hope the information is useful.
Good idea! Here's my list

--replaced clutch ~147k
--replaced flywheel ~147k
--replaced water pump ~126k
--replaced AOS ~100K

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,758 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. From what I saw on Flat 6's webpage, would it be safe to assume you went with either the Stage II or III build option? The HP you posted is at the crank, right? Do you have other mods (exhaust, etc) aside from the engine build to get those figures?
Stage I hybrid (added upgraded rods for track use)
IPD Plenum w/ Comp Throttle body
de-catted OEM headers
WHP 279 / 247 TQ dyno
pre-build 230/200 (no upgrades)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts