Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Who on the forum has the highest mileage 987.1? Any engine mods to attribute to the longevity, or just stock? I have 65,000 on my CS and have the motorsports AOS and the Mantis Sport 1.5 quart deep sump. I change the oil every 5,000 miles for the past 50,000 and prior to that it was every 7,500. I use Mobil1 turbo diesel blend 5w/40. No known mechanical problems to date and I drive it hard at times and frequently to redline (7,000 RPM's).
intubator:

70.3K miles on my '06.

PREVENTION: Mantis Sump; Underdrive; TTP Oilsafe; GT3 VOS; PS cooler. Oil changes @ 5,000 or so, depending on use/abuse. Total 5w/40 oil year round. Have heated garage so not many very cold starts. I drive it once a week minimum all year. When winter comes, I spray the exposed threads on the suspension with wax-oil (I use Wurth) undercoating. I did a preventative replacement of the water pump this year and put in a low-temp thermostat. Last year, replaced the plugs and all the coil-packs and ignition wires with stock. Original clutch, engine never out.

GO FAST: Damptronic coil-overs, Softronic plenum & flash, lowered about 1" to Cayman R height...much lower and the suspension starts to feel too stiff, especially in front. Don't know why. New alignment yesteday: -2.5 front camber / -2.3 rear camber (just changed from 3.0/2.8 which is too much.) 1/32 total toe out front/2/32 total toe in rear. Feels pretty good, but I think it'll feel better when the tires wear into the camber settings.; TPC sway bars/quiet links; SpeedART cat-back; Cayman PCCB master cylinder; braided brake lines.

Track Set-Up: Nitto NT-01 245/40/18 F 275/40/18 R on Forgestar rims. Pagid Yellow brake pads on stock brakes, GT2 CF seats with Alcantara inserts; Schroth harnesses; DMC harness bar; Heigo bolt-in roll bar with cross bar between rear wheels.

Street Set-Up: Michelin PSS 235/40/18F 265/40/18R on Champion RG5 one piece forged wheels. Stock Bose/PCM with stuffed subwoofer; My old iPhone in frunk running iPod tunes through a Denison Gatway 500. (Hands-free bluetooth not installed...sitting in garage). Valentine One hooked to always on power socket in the passenger well...want to hard wire to a switched circuit someday.

Winter: Pirelli Sottozero 235/40/18 F - 265/40/18 R on Boxster S rims.

10 track days? in 5 seasons of ownership. None this year. Broke my leg at end of July...just lazy before that. 1 Instructor Group @ Putnam Park, 1 Advanced Group full-course Autobahn CC, the rest Instructor Group @ R/A. Done some sport touring with BMW motorcycle pals in this car. It is much faster than they are. Lots of easy high-speed interstate and suburban driving, occasional forays into the 12th dimension on back roads.

My best use of this car was blasting home on NC 28 through the Pisgah National Forest for 2 solid hours in the early morning, windows open, heat on, 45 degrees with no traffic and a light mist in the air. Yeee-ha! Brilliant!...on Pirelli WINTERS. I may have lost some tread depth on that trip.

I keep looking at the 981 and thinking "Why would I want one?" I have this thing set up perfectly. It's just beautiful the way it is. I would certainly take a big hit on trade, have a lot of parts to re-sell and would squander thousands more on goodies for the new car....and probably wouldn't like it as much as this one. Some day, I'll get a body shop to fix all the paint flaws and have someone pull the engine out for a real bullet-proof rebuild....maybe a 3.8 with all the good stuff? We'll see.

:cheers:

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
490 Posts
Purchased in May with 21,800 on the ticker

Drove today (SUNNY & 73) just about to hit 26,000 MILES.

Almost 2,000 was put on the first week:dance:...TAIL OF THE DRAGON in Tenn/North Carolina trip with my 16 year old son. He LOVED driving it too!

The rest has all been pleasure cruises with a few SOLO/AutoX events thrown in for good measure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
93k on my '07. When I bought it, I told myself I'd only put 2k on it per year, since it isn't my daily... since I've bought it, however, I've been logging a little over 1,000 miles per MONTH! :eek:

Now that is what I call a fun car! I frequently take the long(est?) way home, go for mountain drives, and cruise with great friends and family.

She continues to run strong, and I've enjoyed every mile with her. :kiss::burnout:

·
Registered
306 Posts
‘07 2.7 5 speed with 198k. Bought with 30k. About to do my 3rd set of front lower control arms. Switched to screw-ins so pretty inexpensive. Original clutch. Engine does not use any oil between 9k changes with Castrol 5w40. Plastic casing disintegrated on the coils a long time ago so replaced those. Did plugs once. Did the AOS after some smoke on startup. Headliner held up with about 25 tiny safety pins stuck in but not closed. Did I say no oil use bet changes at almost 200k? Great car!

·
Registered
2006 Boxster S
51 Posts
Got my speed yellow base model with 46K and it had 115K miles when I replaced it with the red S with 23K! Electrical things were starting to fail at about the 100K mark!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased my 2008 RS60 with just under 60k miles on it in Sept 2019 and it has 63,xxx miles now. On average, it has been driven around 5k miles per year, but the previous owners drove it a little more frequently than I have in the past 15 months.

While certainly not a garage queen this is a great looking car from a few feet away. Mechanically, it seems pretty well sorted. It was a CPO car, so a lot of maintenance and upkeep work was done on it. I am also slowly caring for some of the longer-term maintenance items (such as changing trans fluid) and wear items (pads, rotors, etc.). The car still runs strong and feels solid. To me, feels more of an old-school type of Porsche vs. a modern one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
07 base, currently sitting at 83k and some change. Just under 4k of those are mine. First big maintenance trip for me last week (plugs, coils, cv boots, alignment...I'm just coming up on a year of ownership, and none of these are surprising given the car's age). Feels happier with the new plugs and coils, for sure. I had a scare with a cat-related CEL a while back, but I'm starting to think this was related to the shot plugs/coils causing some incomplete combustion or something and fouling things up. Hasn't come back in ~500 miles so I'm letting it be.​
Touch wood, but they went over it at the shop and it appears to be in solid shape. Barring any surprise failures [stares at water pump with suspicion] I don't think next year will be anything more than an oil service and some minor creature comfort upgrades/fixes, mostly involving the stereo which I can do in the driveway once spring hits and the air warms up enough for me to not break plastic bits tearing the interior apart.​

·
Registered
72 Posts
'07 Cayman base with about 115k on the clock. Done a couple of long road trips in it and it is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. Would jump in it and drive anywhere and not worry one bit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
54k on my 2006 2.7 manual.

Cozy and warm in my messy garage during the cold Iowa winter. Still driving it every few days, as long as roads are clear.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts