Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished installing my Milltek catback exhaust a couple of weeks ago and I am pleased with the performance gain.

Having read all the posts about aftermarket exhausts in particular the Milltek, I am a little disapointed to discover it has the dreaded booming, drone between 2-3k rpm. I understood the early Milltek's were guilty of this but that the very latests ones had completely designed this out?

I have looked at the articles on adjusting the aftermarket exhausts but are they any other secrets to getting rid of this? Have I got some thing wrong on the install or is this drone to be expected?

Any advice appreicated because I am close to taking it off and putting the stock back on :(

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I finished installing my Milltek catback exhaust a couple of weeks ago and I am pleased with the performance gain.

Having read all the posts about aftermarket exhausts in particular the Milltek, I am a little disapointed to discover it has the dreaded booming, drone between 2-3k rpm. I understood the early Milltek's were guilty of this but that the very latests ones had completely designed this out?

I have looked at the articles on adjusting the aftermarket exhausts but are they any other secrets to getting rid of this? Have I got some thing wrong on the install or is this drone to be expected?

Any advice appreicated because I am close to taking it off and putting the stock back on :(
FYI the GB icon is for Group Buy not Great Britain. :hilarious: Anyway to answer your question, I did not have any booming resonance, only a small amount of drone when lugging up a hill or something in the low RPM range, but it could be with redesigns, installation particulars, etc. that yours could be worse. Not sure there is anything you can do about it other than try to adjust the exhaust pipes a little but in all likelihood that won't do much. If it is bad then by all means take it off and try something else, either a different Milltek or a different system altogether. AS most know I am fond of the Capristo because it has no drone and has multiple sound levels with the valves, etc. and they are on sale right now in a special promotion so that's something to consider along with others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K-Man, thanks for the advice and apologies for the GB icon, I'm just getting used to the forum!

I have sent an e-mail out to Milltek UK to see if they have made any changes to the newer units and I'll keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
im using milltek with cat bypass connecting pipes. no drone but very slight resonance at 3k rpm. the sound is awesome. at low rpm, its bassy but once pass 5k till 7k , its a higher pitch sound!!!
great mod with noted performance gains!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
im using milltek with cat bypass connecting pipes. no drone but very slight resonance at 3k rpm. the sound is awesome. at low rpm, its bassy but once pass 5k till 7k , its a higher pitch sound!!!
great mod with noted performance gains!
Agree. Drone is very minimal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting to hear everyones views - thanks. I've noticed that mine has hardly any drone when it is cold but the drone appears when the exhaust gets warm and only between 2-3k on half or full load. I rather expected it to be the otherway around!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jez, please keep me informed, I'm also considering a Milltek.
db01,

It depends what you want to acheive from changing the exhaust. My view based on the last few weeks of the latest Milltek:

Positive:
- Improves the apperance of the back with the stainless boxes shining through, mine have started to get that nice bluey colour at the edges
- Nice deep sound at idle but nothing too intrusive
- Much improved top-end which is much more like the 997 S frantic rush to the line experience
- Zero drone at motorway speeds - no different from standard
- Better torque noticable from 3k and up

Negative:
- Pain to fit yourself or expensive to get someone else to do it if you experience the problems with the header bolts (same with all exhausts)
- 2-3k rpm drone band is a pain and unavoidable especially when driving in traffic, pulling away from traffic lights etc...
- The better sound and perfomance is only really noticably at the very very top end which means you will already be heading for triple figures!

In summary, if it is a better sound track you want I would pay the extra £ for the PSE system and don't bother with the performance gains and hassle of telling the insurance company etc... If I fix the drone I might change my mind thou!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I have to agree with some other posts here. I've had no problem with Milltek. I have the headers with 2nd design cats. I love the sound. Very 911 air cooled in sound to me.
Had no problem with install either.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
db01,

It depends what you want to acheive from changing the exhaust. My view based on the last few weeks of the latest Milltek:

Positive:
- Improves the apperance of the back with the stainless boxes shining through, mine have started to get that nice bluey colour at the edges
- Nice deep sound at idle but nothing too intrusive
- Much improved top-end which is much more like the 997 S frantic rush to the line experience
- Zero drone at motorway speeds - no different from standard
- Better torque noticable from 3k and up

Negative:
- Pain to fit yourself or expensive to get someone else to do it if you experience the problems with the header bolts (same with all exhausts)
- 2-3k rpm drone band is a pain and unavoidable especially when driving in traffic, pulling away from traffic lights etc...
- The better sound and perfomance is only really noticably at the very very top end which means you will already be heading for triple figures!

In summary, if it is a better sound track you want I would pay the extra £ for the PSE system and don't bother with the performance gains and hassle of telling the insurance company etc... If I fix the drone I might change my mind thou!
After reading many of these exhaust posts I decided to add PSE to my spec
and have been very happy with my choice. Great sound and no hassle if you prefer that route...I did!:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.