Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered my 2017 718 CS with PASM Sport. It shows on the order sheet, window sticker, and I have the "suspension" button on the console.

That said, is is me or does the gap between the wheel/tire and fender well look a little "high water" for this car to have PASM sport? My memory of looking at images of cars here on P9 and in person on a dealer's lot is that there isn't as much a gap here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, the gap imaged above is the front. I noticed the rear has less of a gap.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 718 BS with PASM. The gaps are identical to yours. If I had realized how compliant the PASM suspension is on the 718 (even when suspension is in sport mode), I would have opted for the SPASM suspension to get the extra 10mm lowering. My 981 GTS with x73 suspension certainly had less wheel gap. Then again, all this is about "looks", because the handling of the 718 with PASM is superb.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha, it sounds like we're talking about whiskey. "I'll have three fingers of the Glenlivet."

photonscience, I believe the S models come with SPASM, which is 20mm lower. PASM is only available on the base 718s.

·
Registered
257 Posts
According to the Porsche configurator, the S models don't come standard with either PASM or SPASM. Both are extra cost options. If you ordered PASM, you got PASM, not SPASM. The only reason I ordered PASM (and not SPASM) was I wanted a less harsh ride, but I think that was a mistake because the ride quality on PASM is so good, I don't think an extra -10 mm would have made much of a difference.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apologies. I sincerely thought that PASM was not an option on the S and only SPASM was available. Regardless, my car is supposed to be equipped with SPASM according to my order sheet and window sticker.

Given the gap I'm seeing on the car, it looks like the ride height is only 10mm lower instead of the 20mm.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have to admit this does not look 10mm lower than my car which has standard PASM. But my car is a 981 CS so there might be some body differences that I am not aware of.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think that looks more like a 10mm drop than a 20mm for the Sport PASM.
Don't know if it will help but here is my car that has a 30mm drop on Techart springs with standard suspension compared to the stock set up.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Yellow
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar

Also a couple and before measurements.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Yellow Auto part
Tire Yellow Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Alloy wheel Wheel Red Rim Vehicle
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel

Thanks so much for the image of the fender to ground measurement! I'll check mine out this evening.

During lunch, I visited a few dealer websites too find various 718s with base, PASM and PAMS Sport. As you know, most dealers put up very detailed images of their cars. I have to admit, it's difficult to distinguish PASM from PASM sport in the images. Attached is the following:

red S with black wheels with no PASM

red S with silver wheels with PASM

Silver S with silver wheels and PASM Sport

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I believe I'm good. Perhaps what I'm seeing is an illusion caused by looking at 20" wheels vs. my 19" wheels?

Here are images of the total fender height of the front and rear of my car with PASM Sport.

Front

Rear

·
Registered
325 Posts
I believe I'm good. Perhaps what I'm seeing is an illusion caused by looking at 20" wheels vs. my 19" wheels.

(A) I'll bet there's a bit of a illusion of a fuller fender with the larger wheel (even though the total diameter should be the same)

(B) it appears the sidewalls on the 19" tires roll back into the tread where it appears the 20" tires have more a right angle at the wall / tread area.

Here are images of the total fender height of the front and rear of my car with PASM Sport.

Front

Rear

I have a 718 BS with PASM. The gaps are identical to yours. If I had realized how compliant the PASM suspension is on the 718 (even when suspension is in sport mode), I would have opted for the SPASM suspension to get the extra 10mm lowering. My 981 GTS with x73 suspension certainly had less wheel gap. Then again, all this is about "looks", because the handling of the 718 with PASM is superb.
I have been curious about the 718 PASM Sport option (aka "SPASM" on the 991 forum) ever since it was announced, and I wondered if it was as low as the X73 passive suspension. Now I think we know the answer. I took some measurements of my car for comparison purposes (X73 suspension, 20" stock wheels). (And the next obvious implied question is, can SPASM be combined with X73 springs?)

FRONT:

REAR:

Here are a couple photos that better illustrate the 981 X73 wheel gap:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great post, gearFX. Thanks.

Perhaps if would be good for me to visit the local dealer as they have another 718S with PASM Sport in stock and take my tape measurer. Your car has a great looking aggressive stance, I like it.

Reactions: gearFX

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I stopped by my local Porsche dealer today. They had a 718 CS with PASM but none with PASM Sport.

Here's the 718 CS with PASM Sport

You can see the $1,790 PASM option on this Jet Black 718 CS.

I believe I have the proper springs, etc.. for PASM Sport on my car when comparing the measurements between the PASM equipped car and my PASM Sport.

718 CS PASM Front

My 718 CS PASM Sport Front

718 CS PASM Rear

My 718 CS PASM Sport Rear

Reactions: gearFX
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.