Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Porsche spec recommends 30F and 31R Psi for gen 2 cars. I would like to try and soften up my daily commute across town, so does anyone know how low you can go with the tire pressure without harming the tires?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I see you have PASM and 18" wheels. Either you're driving some very rough roads, or maybe the Cayman isn't the right car for you, b/c the ride doesn't get any softer than a PASM equipped car in normal mode.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
I see you have PASM and 18" wheels. Either you're driving some very rough roads, or maybe the Cayman isn't the right car for you, b/c the ride doesn't get any softer than a PASM equipped car in normal mode.
Agree. It can be really rough on tires. You also risk damaging rims if the tires are too low.

I've found that sometimes when you under-inflate low profile tires, they actually ride stiffer.

If you have several year old PS2s on your car, that could be the reason you're not liking the ride. They seem to harden up or something.

I found that the Nitto 555 tires ride a lot better than PS2. When you have 19's and live around Chicago, you need all the help you can get. You give up a little cornering, but for cruising around, they're still fun. Cost about half, which is nice.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I totally agree; the ride is very soft when PASM is in the normal mode with 18 inch wheels. While 30 psi (Front) and 31 psi (back) are specified by Porsche, I do end up adding an extra 1 or 2 psi to each tire.
:thanks:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm driving on the OEM Bridgestone RE050's with only 2K miles, so they're pretty fresh. The problem is with the rough roads between my house and work. Several sections are so bad that I've written letters to the various jurisdictions giving them my vote as worst roads in the state.

I was hoping to deflate them some for commuting and pump them back for touring, but it sounds like that's not a recommended strategy.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.