Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up at 0-dark thirty to Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit, where the Mercedes club was having a HPDE. Wet, windy, raining. A 70 mpf turn became a 30 mph turn. Touching the brakes acquainted me to ABS. The fastest cars were Mercedes sedans on all-season tires. My Sport Cip 2s alternated between saying "I told you so!" and "You *****!"

Feel my pain.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
they don't call it Driver's Education for nothing... for sure you got a chance to experience both capabilities and limitations in that bad weather..

·
Registered
154 Posts
A lot of that was tire-driven. The first half of Saturday at Barber was heavy rain, 40's temp and windy, but P zero's were fine (still lots of slip :)). It was shooting fish in a barrel running with GT3's and the like on sticky tires, which don't work in rain. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I love the rain, some of my best days on track have been in the wet. I hate the rain, some of my worst days on the track have been in the wet.

Reactions: D&D

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I never run in the rain. Multiple reasons. Now, if they would just have HPDE at Mid-Ohio with 2" of snow on the ground ... man!

I hate rain on the track because I have to drive with open windows - not going to happen. I am not anal about my car's exterior, but the interior is spotless usually even after 6 years of ownership. No open windows in the rain for me. I hate rain on the public road because, if your tire has available grip from 0-10, in the rain it can go literally from 10 to 0 in less than a 1/4 mile. Imagine torrential rain at 85 degrees F. Michelin PSS or PS4S grip like crazy in hot and wet - until you hit 2" of water doing 80 mph. Then you learn quickly that aquaplaning is not the name of the new ride in Six Flags as you thought yesterday. Also, let's not forget that Township A spent $1,000,000/mile of the road while Township B spent $600,000/mile. How do you think will your wet grip change when you cross from Township A to Township B?

That never happens on the snow. Snow has grip 2 (or 3 or 5, whatever) - but it does so EVERYWHERE, as long as you are on the snow. Driving on packed snow is by far the most fun automotive experience, at least two times better than dry track driving. IMO

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm a firm believer that rain HPDE's teach drivers far more than dry HPDE's, as long as they're not true beginners with no track awareness (in which case they would just be overwhelmed). There are downsides, mainly increased risk and the obvious water in the interior, for sure. My interior got soaked Saturday. But I'll always run in rain unless there is much standing water.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was running P-Zeroes, then PSS, then PS4s, rain was a great way to slow down, perfect your line and try different things, like earlier or late apexes. But now, on PSC2's, it's like being on a sheet of ice. Back again Thursday with dry weather and brand new asphalt - a chance for redemption!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Back in Mar at COTA, we had multiple sessions in heavy rain. They allowed us to keep our windows up and use turn signals for point bys during those heavy rain sessions. Took a few laps to get used to it, but was a good soln to prevent a soaked interior.

I drive street Conti DWs (lower s) and get eaten alive on a dry track vs all the track tires. Driving in a heavy rain helped since my tires are more suitable to those conditions. I still took it easy as I built up trust, but I did make it to 121 on the back straight. That was plenty fast for me and took all my concentration. I had a few slips but nothing crazy. Not sure I gained a lot by doing that session, but I survived.

I’ve sat out plenty of sessions on my local track when it was raining and cold. That is a toxic combination that can quickly become expensive.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Back in Mar at COTA, we had multiple sessions in heavy rain. They allowed us to keep our windows up and use turn signals for point bys during those heavy rain sessions. Took a few laps to get used to it, but was a good soln to prevent a soaked interior.
You know, I always KNEW there was a reason why people in Texas wear big hats, now I know. There seems to be a LOT of brains underneath. Not a case in Mid-Ohio ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.