Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left work at 7:00 am for a dental appointment and as I was driving out of the parking garage, I didn't see the chain that was strung across the exit until I hit it and it raked over my bumper and up my hood and fenders. The garage was much darker than what the picture suggests and it was the last thing I was expecting to encounter. The garage office didn't open until 9:00 so I just left out of another exit. There was no warning sign indicating that the chain was there. Am I out of luck trying to get compensation from the garage? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

20150616_070004_resized_1.jpg 20150616_065922_resized_1.jpg 20150616_065944_resized_1.jpg 20150616_065952_resized_1.jpg 20150616_065958_resized_1.jpg

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
No suggestion, just sympathy. What a bummer! And for the dentist, too! Sorry.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can imagine how that chain would be hard to see without a sign hanging off of it. Good luck with a satisfactory resolution.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Apologies for the damage. It's always heart sore when your car is damaged.
At least you were not injured.

But your post brings up the litigious nature of American society. Try to blame everyone for their misfortune and milk the system. This attitude keeps greedy lawyers busy.

In this case clearly it's a garage you know and use daily and you must have known of that chains existence but was in a hurry for an appointment to remember about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I would check/ask if a bright reflective sign is required to be hanging on that chain. I'm used to seeing signs on chains that block entrances/exits. Yes, we are litigious but we are also highly regulated. Your situation probably has happened many times before and I would bet that a sign on the chain is probably required by law or ordinance. In that case, you have every right to seek compensation (and probably wont need a lawyer if you can find the regulation) My 2 cents.

The chain is gray and blends in with the floor. OSHA regs require traffic barriers to be clearly marked with bright reflective signage. This probably does not apply in your case but the logic and thought process is the same and there are other regulations. I bet that chain use to have a sign and it fell/rusted off. Check other chains at that garage and others. See if other chains have signs.

I would also check the operating hours of the garage. Did you have a reasonable expectation that the exit would be open? Do they advertise that the exit will be closed during certain hours? All these could support or undermine your argument.

Reactions: Arch

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Dude, hammered at 7 AM?! WTF. Just lucky the cops weren't around! Doesn't look too bad. Seems like a lot of it will buff out. Take it easy, bro.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Why would you deserve compensation for not paying attention while driving you car? And then there is the 5mph speed limit in the garage as posted by that sign.
I never claimed that I deserve compensation. I was just asking a simple question. Yes, it was a mistake and I continue to kick myself. I have never seen a chain there before and had no reason to suspect that there would be one there. It is in a location where the lighting goes from bright outside light to dark inside light. It was not easily visible and I wasn't going that fast. I first noticed it when it came over the top of my headlights and I managed to stop by the time it got to the top of the hood.

Fortunately, I think most of the damage is minor and can be buffed out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a strangely similar experience. In 1992 I was riding a motorcycle, it was dusk, and as I turned in to a elementary school I was clotheslined by a chain hanging across the parking lot entrance. I was pulled off and had minor injuries, even broke the chain. It had no sign and the patina made it nearly invisible trough the helmet in that lighting. There was some legal wrangling(property damage vs injury) on both sides because I needed a letter from the school saying there was no property damage. Long story. In the end we just called it a non-issue. As earlier posts indicated, I think you are responsible for what is in front of you. As for your damage, that is what comprehensive insurance is for.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'd think it would be in the garage operator's best interests to paint the chain day-glo orange or hang a sign, just to prevent damage to the chain or anchors.

I had a strangely similar experience. In 1992 I was riding a motorcycle....
I had a strangely similar experience. In 1971 I was riding a bicycle....

At dusk, and the chain was across the opening to an apartment-complex parking lot. Hit it full-tilt, chain meets head tube... Larry meets asphalt.:(

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Chill out, guys... Show some empathy. So the OP didn't see the chain. It can happen to any of us if we were distracted or preoccupied.

I'd visit a detailing shop if I were you, OP. And see what remains then I'd get it touched. Sorry.

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
734 Posts
Seeing as how none of us were there, we can't really judge OP for not seeing the chain. There was no sign, just a chain in a dark garage. Now imagine you've taken this route before, and never encountered any chain strung across the exit. I could definitely see someone on a motorcycle running into that, and nobody would be blaming the cyclist.

I would send the garage owners the bill.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Like in texting? Like in speeding? The OP already admitted to not paying attention by claiming "I wasn't going that fast. I first noticed it when it came over the top of my headlights and I managed to stop by the time it got to the top of the hood."
I can relate to the O.P. because my parking garage has this exact same phenomena. It would be bright daylight outside, but the moment you cross into the garage it looks pitch dark for the first 5 feet or so. I usually crawl in at 2mph in case some kid or a dog is hanging around at the garage entrance.

·
Incurable Gearhead
964 Posts
Chill out, guys... Show some empathy. So the OP didn't see the chain. It can happen to any of us if we were distracted or preoccupied.
Seriously. WTF. A little empathy for crying out loud.

OP, I think it should have some sorta signage, or more lighting, to make it more visible. If I were you I'd talk about it with the bldg's management. Chances are they'll agree that it needs changing and take of your car, too. Never know till ya try.

So sorry! Hope things work out well.

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Registered
302 Posts
Find the best detail shop in your area. If the damage hasn't gone through the clear coat you may be OK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As a retired defense attorney, I certainly think the garage owner faces a significant likelihood of being held at least partially responsible for the causing the damage to your vehicle, assuming you had no prior notice, either actual or constructive, of the existence of the chain. Your state and local laws are very important in determining liability; i.e., whether there are any state or local requirements regarding the clear warning of such an obstruction or whether you live in a contributory negligence state (which could bar your claim entirely even if you were only 1% responsible for the damage) or a comparative negligence state (which apportions liability between plaintiff and defendant based on the degree of culpability for causing the damage). If it were me , I would certainly consult your attorney about pursuing the matter

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sh!t happens. If you hit the concrete wall would you post "Am I out of luck trying to get some compensation?" (Just sayin)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Any legal attempt to get compensation is going to cost you more than your insurance deductible, assuming that damage can't be detailed away for some nominal amount anyway. Talk to the building/garage manager, not the maintenance dude, in a friendly manner, "Gee, this unmarked, poorly visible chain caused this damage to my car, thank God it wasn't someone on a motorcycle who could have been seriously injured. I hope you can rectify this situation so it doesn't happen again, and BTW, here is the bill for my car repairs, maybe we can split it." Because some of this is on the driver too.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Any legal attempt to get compensation is going to cost you more than your insurance deductible, assuming that damage can't be detailed away for some nominal amount anyway. Talk to the building/garage manager, not the maintenance dude, in a friendly manner, "Gee, this unmarked, poorly visible chain caused this damage to my car, thank God it wasn't someone on a motorcycle who could have been seriously injured. I hope you can rectify this situation so it doesn't happen again, and BTW, here is the bill for my car repairs, maybe we can split it." Because some of this is on the driver too.
As an attorney I would say this is sound advice that legal costs are more than repair costs for the damage I saw in the photos and there is no need to resort to such if things can be worked out amicably. The advice above is sound, reasonable and fair. I'm giving KCZ a gold star for today. :)

I do want to chime in on responses to the OP in this case. This site is supposed to be about helping others. This individual just had his car damaged and regardless of who is to blame at what % I concur with some other authors here that we need to show a bit more compassion for someone when this happens as opposed to jumping on them and telling them what an idiot they are for running into a chain, don't you think they feel bad enough already? If people would just stop and breath a second and think about how they would want to be treated when something like this happens to them perhaps some of the responses would be more civil. Remember this site is about members helping other members and when people's first reaction is to criticize rather than try to help well then they aren't living up to the expectations I have of this site and its members and they aren't following the posting rules. My moderators have the ability to remove unhelpful responses and I support them doing so as I will not allow topics to be drug down into flame wars, name calling and such.

So now let's please get back to being a friendly and helpful bunch. TIA!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Sorry if my post seemed insensitive. Was trying to add some levity to an unfortunate situation.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts