Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

wondering if if someone out there on the planet-9 forums can help me with a somewhat random issue.
i have a 2010 boxster (987.2 with 2.9L engine). I ordered a maintence kit from Suncoast so I could change my oil myself as I had taken it to an independent shop the last time. During the oil change, I took off the oil filter housing and pulled out the old oil filter. I stuck the new filter in but had a hard time screwing the housing back on. I pulled out the new filter and compared it to the old one and noticed that the new (genuine porsche) oil filter was a full inch longer than the one that I just took out of my engine! I though, 'how is this possible??'... I contacted suncoast and they said that I definately had the correct part for my car so I'm thinking the independent shop I took my car to previously put in a smaller filter and screwed in a shorter filter housing. For comparisons sake, the new filter was shipped in a porsche labeled bag and is apparently made my Mahle. It was 5.5 inches long compared to the old filter which was 4.5 inches long. Anyone have an idea of what happened? I looked up images of filters and filter housings on pelican parts and noticed that they had the extra long filter hanging over the top of the housing. The old filter I had fit neatly in the housing without sticking out. Am I not shoving the filter up far enough? What could be going on here?

tl;dr: got new oil filter and it was longer than old filter. What gives?!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
It could be that you haven't pushed the filter up all the way. It does take a little force - as long as you don't severely mash it, you won't hurt it.
Your indy likely used the wrong filter - maybe from a 986. I don't know if the gen-1 uses the same filter as the 9A1 (gen 2) engines. BTW I use the MAHLE OX 366D Oil Filter from Amazon in my 2.9L.

I really doubt your indy switched the canisters just to use the wrong filter. If so - I'd never go back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waking this thread up from the dead (found it on a search), I just did the first oil change on my "new" 2009 base Cayman 987.2, and the used oil filter cartridge that came out (installed by a shop by the previous owner) was the shorter 986/996/987.1 oil filter cartridge: Mahle OX1281

My new filter was: Mahle OX366 which was a good bit taller, I didn't line them up side by side.

After researching the part numbers, I confirmed that I did have the correct filter, and that it just needed to be pushed up on the oil pickup tube a little more.

I believe the threads on the canisters may be different (LN sells two different spin adapters for M96/97 and 9A1, and it may be different in diameter since I believe there is a 2mm difference in the flutes for the oil filter wrenches for M96/97 ans 9A1.

I am getting a blackstone analysis on the oil, they said they can tell by looking at insolubles whether the oil was bypassing the smaller filter or not.

Text Line Parallel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts