Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1457 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,361
Your idea of what basic education should be made me laugh, teach them just what you want them to know to sell your point, or in this case a Tesla...
I'm saying I hear some pretty crazy stuff about electric cars. I had someone ask me once if I could drive it in the rain or would you get electrocuted if you weren't careful... I'm like WTF? It's just sad to see so much FUD spread about electric cars to the point where people don't even try them out. For example I still don't think Chows has gone down to his local Tesla store and driven one... what's it been now 3 years since I started this topic thread? :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Let me be very specific, I never said that EV's are the savior of the planet. What I did say is that they are better for the planet than gas cars.
I can only say with certainty that, for a specific purpose of local grocery getter, EV is far better than ICE for ME. I am still not that sure that it is better for planet Earth.

They are more energy efficient and can be powered from renewable sources like sun, wind, nuclear fusion, etc. :) Would there be an impact of solar panels being on roofs in terms of absorbing heat (although roofs absorb heat and radiate it away at night just like solar panels do) and an impact of lower reflected light from say a black solar panel vs a brown roof? Sure, but that impact is far far far far less than the impact of dumping more carbon into the atmosphere. Just ask Venus. :)

For the record I also like Dyson spheres but it makes those on the outside a lot colder... :)
Just as in my lengthy and winded example, you are not thinking big enough. Again, in order to manage energy needs for 15 billion humans, I envision unpopulated areas like whole Mojave desert being covered by solar panels. Forget about the roofs, they are/will be a rounding error in the whole picture couple of decades from now.

Do we think about possible consequences? Hell no.

Just to stay coherent, I always have a solution when I complain about something. In this case, the only solution to keep BOTH human race and planet Earth going happily everafter is a drastic reduction of the number of humans inhabiting planet Earth. And that is the only solution we will not contemplate.

That is the ONLY point I give 100% to lil Greta. Ponzi scheme needs fresh blood to keep going. Our whole economy system is based on kicking the can down the road and adding fresh suckers to the game. That will cost us everything. As it should.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
OK, I’ll provide more detail. I’ve already explained its not so simple to just throw a charger up. Its complicated and cost $$. So trips. ... I see your trying to convince me. ;) And mundane day to day living, after the sunk costs, is not an issue.

I think it is more reasonable to say that you drive maybe 1% or 2% of the year driving cross country on road trips., not 5%
Its not “days”, its mileage. When I said 5%, that’s averaged over life. I’ve done 1,200 mile days and 100 mile days. My 5% estimate might be a lifetime estimate. In reality some years it could 70% of the driving, in other years 1% of the mileage. I’d take a month trip, add a coupled of type 2 trips, drive 18K that year, and 70% of the driving would be “on the road”. In other years, go nowhere and its 100% no trips. So I averaged it out.

Trips come in three forms. Types of road trips.
  1. Planned trips (e.g., day trip, 3 day weekend, week at the beach, WDW (about a 2500 mile trip), etc.) These are planned. You know the route, you know the hotel you stay at, and they are tourist spots. I wouldn't expect "planned trips" to be an issue.
  2. Visiting Relatives. These are ~1300 mile trips and misery. Up and down the I95 corridor, you haven’t lived until you’ve driven that corridor on holidays, in the snow, and traffic, and experienced the joy of the Jersey rest areas, NYC, and so forth. Have you ever driven across the George Washington Bridge and the Cross Bronx? No, I don't "eat". Just drive. And over the years its gotten far, far worse. Ever open the window driving through Newark? ? Yes, it really, really stinks. Now think traffic backed for miles. Its misery. No, I’m not stopping for a leisurely lunch. I need to get where I’m now, absolutely hate the big cities, and then get home. Can you spell S T R E S S?
  3. "vacation". Some years we take a month at a time and drive the USA, literally, around it, each time trying to go to the places we’ve not been to before. This includes the southern parts of Western Canada including BC and Alberta (the usual Banff, Jasper, Lake Lousie areas). I've seriously considered driving to Alaska. Wife wasn't happy so never happened. Think “See the USA (and Canada) in your Chevrolet” These were 10,000 mile trips. On two occasions, we wore out the rear tires and I had to buy tires “on the road”. That was fun.:rolleyes: I've even had oil changes done "on the road".
Part of that is “spur of the moment”. It’s off the beaten track. It’s through towns with “Population 10”. Yup, that’s real Its driving and not seeing towns or gas stations on state roads, rural roads, and logging roads for 50 miles. Its driving and watching the FM radio seek stations and finding none (well not today because of XM radio).

I was on a road in MT when a sign appeared saying "Road Ends" WTH? This was real. The next 10 miles was a dirt, rock road and the road being built, and they let cars through. That was fun too :rolleyes: Its driving where there is NO cell service. Take a look at the cell maps. See those areas with no service? That's where the fun is. Thats where I head. We make ad hoc decisions all the time (and some planning for the long hauls).

Ad hoc decisions are the best decisions. The best laid plans of men disappear in the midst of war? Spur of the moment means having a reservation in the North Rim of the GC and deciding “screw it” lets go to Zion. I have little patience. You really think I’m going to go look up charging stations?

Road trips are THE MOST important mileage. Like you said, I agree that I don’t care if at home. That argument is valid. The hardest part matters the most.

Do you ever stop to go to the bathroom? If you are truly driving 500-800 miles in a day, even after a 70mph average that's 7-11+ hours of driving. Maybe your bladder is better than mine, but I need to use the facilities on road trips.Do you ever stop for food?
When we travel, we travel. The point is to get somewhere (not talking about the spur of the moment when “there”. So I kind of haul (legally of course ?). Yeah, my wife is not always happy and makes comments about trying to drink hot coffee while doing …. I’ve heard that said once or twice. A pit stop is in and out. I pump the gas while she hits the ladies room, then I do. Eat? You got to be kidding. That’s called “road food”. Eat breakfast at the hotel, have a stock of road food, and hit the road. No time to waste spending money on ridiculously overpriced food at rest areas. Who does that?

I learned decades ago that if you want to get somewhere, any stopping is a killer. If you are trying to make time, traffic, construction, and weather will kill you. You can never make it up. Pit stops are minimal. Get breakfast before you leave for the day, carry a bag of road food and drinks. Stop only for the concurrent bathroom/gas. Gone in 10 mins top.

Vacation time is MINE time. I guard it jealously. Time is precious and short.

Are you only eating food thrown at you through a window
If I got miles to make, of course? Why would anyone stop (other than for the rest room)? That part of the journey isn't pleasure. Its work. The pleasure part is when you get to where you're gong and then can make ad hoc, off the beaten trail decisions, not while your hauling down some concrete interstate with a thousand other cars.

I normally make KC to Des Moines on a single charge? Yes,
Now do Grand Forks to Glacier over US 2 or Jackson to Reno across US 50. Oops. no superchargers. Over time there will be and the numbers will grow but the point is this, and this is the real essence. I will not allow my precious vacation time be dictated by:
  1. Being forced to have a computer/cell phone service. I don't want to see any computer (I've gone a month never seeing a paper or TV and it was GLORIOUS).
  2. Searching ahead of time and planning routes
  3. Cannot make ad hoc driving decisions without planning ahead
  4. Cannot drive certain roads because of no place to get “electrons"
Life is WAY to short to worry about these kinds of things, to being forced to plan.

Plus I have no patience, ever, to stop along the I95 corridor, with a million other cars, in traffic, in bad weather, other than the absolute mimimum to survive, although I do like the names of Jersey rest areas like:

Molly Pitcher
Joyce Kilmer
Vince Lombardi
James Fenimore Cooper

I’m guessing many people might know who Vince Lombardi is but Joyce Kilmer?

“I think that I shall never see, a poem lovely as a tree”

Yeah, they taught as that maybe in grammar school. No Joyce is not a female.

On “my time”, I seek solitude, nature, wildlife, mountains, hiking alone up in the wilderness, “far from the maddening crowd”, the exact opposite of the hectic “electronic device” life of modern life. The absolute BEST times were not seeing a newspaper, computer, or TV for WEEKS. Just forgetting about everything and being around nature. I don't want to see a cell phone. I want to dump it.

My time is precious time and in the end, there is only so much of it. Life is short.

I will not be a slave of having electronic devices of any kind place limitations on me. Or, I guess I could be called lazy.

What did we ever do 20 years ago with no GPS, no cell service, no computers? Oh yeah, We still traveled. Imagine that. :)

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
A thought for Friday...

I read an older article that cows outnumber humans in the terms of biomass by about 60%, essentially based on weight they are the number one animal on the planet, all I say is it is a good thing we eat them then the other way around!

Back in 2017 the score was 600 million metric tons of cow, 370 million metric tons of people, IIRC food production is one of the bigger problems we face going into the future, not what kind of engine our cars have!

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
I read an older article that cows outnumber humans in the terms of biomass by about 60%, essentially based on weight they are the number one animal on the planet, all I say is it is a good thing we eat them then the other way around!
The beef thing is why I no longer care about global warming anymore. The extremists don't want you to own pets because they are carnivores. :rolleyes:

A last thought about my Type 3 trips, using an electric car, and electronics. It used to be common, and probably still is to take a long weekend or week trip to the beach. People waited all year for that week vacation. So what happened?
  1. You'd plan a trip, call a hotel, book a week at any beach of your choice.
  2. Get there and check out the TV. Can't live without a TV, even on vacation. Or today make sure there is a wifi connection. Gotta have the laptop or iPad.
  3. Rooms always have a clock radio alarm too.
  4. In the morning, no matter where you were, outside the door was a USA Today paper. Not a local paper but the national news.
  5. Hit the beach and everyone had a radio. Everyone.
It took some years to realize none of this was important. I can't criticize what others like because people like different things but I figured out I did NOT want to see any TV, listen to any radio, read the "web", or read a paper. NONE of it was important. Email was not important. The world will get along without you.

The most precious thing was to be as far away from technology as possible. I wanted to look up at night and actually see the Milky Way. The Milky Way is a glorious thing. Far away from town lights, from streets, from people, look up to a black sky and truly see the Milky Way makes you feel exactly where you are this life and ...

We are puny and insignificant. I can't see the Milky Way and don't know when I will again. But get out into the boondocks and look up. You won't regret it. There are still a few places where you can see it in the lower 48.

Forget all that electronic garbage. Look around you at nature. See the glory of the land. See how magnificent this country truly is and you might be in awe. We are all blessed here, all of us including the wonders of Canada, with a beautiful land. Just go see it.

Or look for bigfoot. That's cool too. :)

Life is very short. All time is precious. Wasting vacation time is a cardinal sin.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Almost there ... Almost. Again, what the heck is wrong with exploding H2 in existing ICE with minimal modifications, mainly fuel tank? But we gotta keep appearances - species-wide insanity being the main one.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
2,000 miles, 8 hours charging? Not going to happen. I know, charge the hotel. That only works "if" the hotel has them and "if" they are not being used. More cars? No spots

This guy? He gets credit for taking the chance on US 50, but no one with a family is going to do that.

4 hours wait. Got fed up and left. 8 hour wait. Sure. Did he get permission from the hotel to plug his car in or did he just plug it in? Why you ask? Notice the two different headlines

Entitled Tesla Jackass Parks on Stranger's Lawn, Steals Electricity for 12 Hours

EV blog

Tesla Driver “Borrows” Electricity From House Without Warning Owner

He didn't borrow anything. That's theft of services.

"he did not even apologize for doing so." In the following, I did not see him ask for permission to plug in at the hotel to a normal socket not being metered.

And all the decision? :rolleyes: Never. 50 mins at a supercharger? No. Exits far and few apart ? duh 100 miles no service? LOL he's "shaking". Moab, love it. Dead Horse SP, been there. PO says stay out? He tries to get in. Some beautiful country in Red Rock country. Too bad he's constantly worried about charging.

Videos like this show an "attempt" to normalize this. Its not normal. Its advertising. And it sure seems the reality is not appealing, even to those making the videos.

You think I'm going to go through the following? This is crazy. What if I have no phone? Who remembers to take a phone everywhere? I'm going to force my wife to go through all this nonsense?

What connection?
Where do I go?
How long to wait?

This can't be serious. Just getting here to pump gas she does. But all this? Not going to happen, ever.

These vides are showing a complex solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,368
I can only say with certainty that, for a specific purpose of local grocery getter, EV is far better than ICE for ME. I am still not that sure that it is better for planet Earth.

Just as in my lengthy and winded example, you are not thinking big enough. Again, in order to manage energy needs for 15 billion humans, I envision unpopulated areas like whole Mojave desert being covered by solar panels. Forget about the roofs, they are/will be a rounding error in the whole picture couple of decades from now.

Do we think about possible consequences? Hell no.

Just to stay coherent, I always have a solution when I complain about something. In this case, the only solution to keep BOTH human race and planet Earth going happily everafter is a drastic reduction of the number of humans inhabiting planet Earth. And that is the only solution we will not contemplate.

That is the ONLY point I give 100% to lil Greta. Ponzi scheme needs fresh blood to keep going. Our whole economy system is based on kicking the can down the road and adding fresh suckers to the game. That will cost us everything. As it should.

I have an alternative solution for you: MARS! Well space actually... get people off this planet and elsewhere in the galaxy, you are correct, only so many humans can be supported on this planet. I don't know what that number is, but we've probably already exceeded it...

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,369
OK, I’ll provide more detail. I’ve already explained its not so simple to just throw a charger up. Its complicated and cost $$. So trips. ... I see your trying to convince me. ;) And mundane day to day living, after the sunk costs, is not an issue.

Its not “days”, its mileage. When I said 5%, that’s averaged over life. I’ve done 1,200 mile days and 100 mile days. My 5% estimate might be a lifetime estimate. In reality some years it could 70% of the driving, in other years 1% of the mileage. I’d take a month trip, add a coupled of type 2 trips, drive 18K that year, and 70% of the driving would be “on the road”. In other years, go nowhere and its 100% no trips. So I averaged it out.

Trips come in three forms. Types of road trips.
  1. Planned trips (e.g., day trip, 3 day weekend, week at the beach, WDW (about a 2500 mile trip), etc.) These are planned. You know the route, you know the hotel you stay at, and they are tourist spots. I wouldn't expect "planned trips" to be an issue.
  2. Visiting Relatives. These are ~1300 mile trips and misery. Up and down the I95 corridor, you haven’t lived until you’ve driven that corridor on holidays, in the snow, and traffic, and experienced the joy of the Jersey rest areas, NYC, and so forth. Have you ever driven across the George Washington Bridge and the Cross Bronx? No, I don't "eat". Just drive. And over the years its gotten far, far worse. Ever open the window driving through Newark? ? Yes, it really, really stinks. Now think traffic backed for miles. Its misery. No, I’m not stopping for a leisurely lunch. I need to get where I’m now, absolutely hate the big cities, and then get home. Can you spell S T R E S S?
  3. "vacation". Some years we take a month at a time and drive the USA, literally, around it, each time trying to go to the places we’ve not been to before. This includes the southern parts of Western Canada including BC and Alberta (the usual Banff, Jasper, Lake Lousie areas). I've seriously considered driving to Alaska. Wife wasn't happy so never happened. Think “See the USA (and Canada) in your Chevrolet” These were 10,000 mile trips. On two occasions, we wore out the rear tires and I had to buy tires “on the road”. That was fun.:rolleyes: I've even had oil changes done "on the road".
Part of that is “spur of the moment”. It’s off the beaten track. It’s through towns with “Population 10”. Yup, that’s real Its driving and not seeing towns or gas stations on state roads, rural roads, and logging roads for 50 miles. Its driving and watching the FM radio seek stations and finding none (well not today because of XM radio).

I was on a road in MT when a sign appeared saying "Road Ends" WTH? This was real. The next 10 miles was a dirt, rock road and the road being built, and they let cars through. That was fun too :rolleyes: Its driving where there is NO cell service. Take a look at the cell maps. See those areas with no service? That's where the fun is. Thats where I head. We make ad hoc decisions all the time (and some planning for the long hauls).

Ad hoc decisions are the best decisions. The best laid plans of men disappear in the midst of war? Spur of the moment means having a reservation in the North Rim of the GC and deciding “screw it” lets go to Zion. I have little patience. You really think I’m going to go look up charging stations?

Road trips are THE MOST important mileage. Like you said, I agree that I don’t care if at home. That argument is valid. The hardest part matters the most.

When we travel, we travel. The point is to get somewhere (not talking about the spur of the moment when “there”. So I kind of haul (legally of course ?). Yeah, my wife is not always happy and makes comments about trying to drink hot coffee while doing …. I’ve heard that said once or twice. A pit stop is in and out. I pump the gas while she hits the ladies room, then I do. Eat? You got to be kidding. That’s called “road food”. Eat breakfast at the hotel, have a stock of road food, and hit the road. No time to waste spending money on ridiculously overpriced food at rest areas. Who does that?

I learned decades ago that if you want to get somewhere, any stopping is a killer. If you are trying to make time, traffic, construction, and weather will kill you. You can never make it up. Pit stops are minimal. Get breakfast before you leave for the day, carry a bag of road food and drinks. Stop only for the concurrent bathroom/gas. Gone in 10 mins top.

Vacation time is MINE time. I guard it jealously. Time is precious and short.

If I got miles to make, of course? Why would anyone stop (other than for the rest room)? That part of the journey isn't pleasure. Its work. The pleasure part is when you get to where you're gong and then can make ad hoc, off the beaten trail decisions, not while your hauling down some concrete interstate with a thousand other cars.

Now do Grand Forks to Glacier over US 2 or Jackson to Reno across US 50. Oops. no superchargers. Over time there will be and the numbers will grow but the point is this, and this is the real essence. I will not allow my precious vacation time be dictated by:
  1. Being forced to have a computer/cell phone service. I don't want to see any computer (I've gone a month never seeing a paper or TV and it was GLORIOUS).
  2. Searching ahead of time and planning routes
  3. Cannot make ad hoc driving decisions without planning ahead
  4. Cannot drive certain roads because of no place to get “electrons"
Life is WAY to short to worry about these kinds of things, to being forced to plan.

Plus I have no patience, ever, to stop along the I95 corridor, with a million other cars, in traffic, in bad weather, other than the absolute mimimum to survive, although I do like the names of Jersey rest areas like:

Molly Pitcher
Joyce Kilmer
Vince Lombardi
James Fenimore Cooper

I’m guessing many people might know who Vince Lombardi is but Joyce Kilmer?

“I think that I shall never see, a poem lovely as a tree”

Yeah, they taught as that maybe in grammar school. No Joyce is not a female.

On “my time”, I seek solitude, nature, wildlife, mountains, hiking alone up in the wilderness, “far from the maddening crowd”, the exact opposite of the hectic “electronic device” life of modern life. The absolute BEST times were not seeing a newspaper, computer, or TV for WEEKS. Just forgetting about everything and being around nature. I don't want to see a cell phone. I want to dump it.

My time is precious time and in the end, there is only so much of it. Life is short.

I will not be a slave of having electronic devices of any kind place limitations on me. Or, I guess I could be called lazy.

What did we ever do 20 years ago with no GPS, no cell service, no computers? Oh yeah, We still traveled. Imagine that. :)
Chows, an enjoyable read for sure, but I still come back to my point that until you've tried it you really don't know. Gas cars place limitations on you too, there are places you cannot get gas that you can get electrons, in fact lots more places to get electrons than gas as I can use any 110 wall outlet in a pinch :) Anyway, you really need to take an ad hoc road trip in a Tesla to see what it is like. I think you might be afraid that you might just like it. :) :) Especially with CAMPER MODE which you do NOT get in any gas car... :) :) :)

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,370
A thought for Friday...

Back in 2017 the score was 600 million metric tons of cow, 370 million metric tons of people, IIRC food production is one of the bigger problems we face going into the future, not what kind of engine our cars have!

Absolutely and in fact if people would give up meat just 1 day a week it would make a huge impact on our environment. Watch the movie Racing Extinction for details...

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,371
The beef thing is why I no longer care about global warming anymore. The extremists don't want you to own pets because they are carnivores. :rolleyes:

A last thought about my Type 3 trips, using an electric car, and electronics. It used to be common, and probably still is to take a long weekend or week trip to the beach. People waited all year for that week vacation. So what happened?
  1. You'd plan a trip, call a hotel, book a week at any beach of your choice.
  2. Get there and check out the TV. Can't live without a TV, even on vacation. Or today make sure there is a wifi connection. Gotta have the laptop or iPad.
  3. Rooms always have a clock radio alarm too.
  4. In the morning, no matter where you were, outside the door was a USA Today paper. Not a local paper but the national news.
  5. Hit the beach and everyone had a radio. Everyone.
It took some years to realize none of this was important. I can't criticize what others like because people like different things but I figured out I did NOT want to see any TV, listen to any radio, read the "web", or read a paper. NONE of it was important. Email was not important. The world will get along without you.

The most precious thing was to be as far away from technology as possible. I wanted to look up at night and actually see the Milky Way. The Milky Way is a glorious thing. Far away from town lights, from streets, from people, look up to a black sky and truly see the Milky Way makes you feel exactly where you are this life and ...

We are puny and insignificant. I can't see the Milky Way and don't know when I will again. But get out into the boondocks and look up. You won't regret it. There are still a few places where you can see it in the lower 48.

Forget all that electronic garbage. Look around you at nature. See the glory of the land. See how magnificent this country truly is and you might be in awe. We are all blessed here, all of us including the wonders of Canada, with a beautiful land. Just go see it.

Or look for bigfoot. That's cool too. :)

Life is very short. All time is precious. Wasting vacation time is a cardinal sin.
I'm taking you Bigfoot hunting in my CyberTruck Chows! :) You know every day in a Tesla is like a vacation right? :) Just throwing that out there...

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,372
2,000 miles, 8 hours charging? Not going to happen. I know, charge the hotel. That only works "if" the hotel has them and "if" they are not being used. More cars? No spots

This guy? He gets credit for taking the chance on US 50, but no one with a family is going to do that.

4 hours wait. Got fed up and left. 8 hour wait. Sure. Did he get permission from the hotel to plug his car in or did he just plug it in? Why you ask? Notice the two different headlines

Entitled Tesla Jackass Parks on Stranger's Lawn, Steals Electricity for 12 Hours

EV blog

Tesla Driver “Borrows” Electricity From House Without Warning Owner

He didn't borrow anything. That's theft of services.

"he did not even apologize for doing so." In the following, I did not see him ask for permission to plug in at the hotel to a normal socket not being metered.

And all the decision? :rolleyes: Never. 50 mins at a supercharger? No. Exits far and few apart ? duh 100 miles no service? LOL he's "shaking". Moab, love it. Dead Horse SP, been there. PO says stay out? He tries to get in. Some beautiful country in Red Rock country. Too bad he's constantly worried about charging.

Videos like this show an "attempt" to normalize this. Its not normal. Its advertising. And it sure seems the reality is not appealing, even to those making the videos.

You think I'm going to go through the following? This is crazy. What if I have no phone? Who remembers to take a phone everywhere? I'm going to force my wife to go through all this nonsense?

What connection?
Where do I go?
How long to wait?

This can't be serious. Just getting here to pump gas she does. But all this? Not going to happen, ever.

These vides are showing a complex solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.
Asking me to watch videos of people who don't know how/when to charge is like asking Patrick Mahomes to watch videos of kids learning to throw a football and talking about how difficult it is.... :) Probably funny but not very useful...

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
I never thought about this until today. Living up north, when it snowed, it snowed - period. But its common here for freezing rain, far too common. Not like this where its a sleet and froze but true, black ice, freezing rain. It can reach 1/2" thick on everything. It makes tree limbs falls, forget about walking. The salt truck comes and you can drive in the salty mess but getting out of the residential streets is the issue as well as walking on sidewalks.

Over the years, the common way to avoid this is people will put up their wipers so blades don't freeze to the windshield, then put a large, old bath towel across the windshield. Come out in the pre dawn winter hours to head out for the day, you pulled the bath towel off in one large frozen sheet, toss it to the ground to thaw out, pop down the wipers, get the scraper out for the side window, squirt a little lock thaw into the door lock, and off you go.

Who waits a half hour to "preheat" the car? WAY to inconvenient. Wait for the car to heat up? ? No. I see his idea to put a baggie on the charger idea. Maybe not bad.

This kind of weather is a frequent winter companion. It makes it difficult not only for driving causing lots of accidents but difficult for what winter jacket to wear. If its cold enough for snow, then its winter parka. But if its raining, some parkas are "weather proof" but not "water proof". Its all the same idea, weather with rain on the 32 - 35 degree range means problems.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I never thought about this until today. Living up north, when it snowed, it snowed - period. But its common here for freezing rain, far too common. Not like this where its a sleet and froze but true, black ice, freezing rain. It can reach 1/2" thick on everything. It makes tree limbs falls, forget about walking. The salt truck comes and you can drive in the salty mess but getting out of the residential streets is the issue as well as walking on sidewalks.

Over the years, the common way to avoid this is people will put up their wipers so blades don't freeze to the windshield, then put a large, old bath towel across the windshield. Come out in the pre dawn winter hours to head out for the day, you pulled the bath towel off in one large frozen sheet, toss it to the ground to thaw out, pop down the wipers, get the scraper out for the side window, squirt a little lock thaw into the door lock, and off you go.

Who waits a half hour to "preheat" the car? WAY to inconvenient. Wait for the car to heat up? ? No. I see his idea to put a baggie on the charger idea. Maybe not bad.

This kind of weather is a frequent winter companion. It makes it difficult not only for driving causing lots of accidents but difficult for what winter jacket to wear. If its cold enough for snow, then its winter parka. But if its raining, some parkas are "weather proof" but not "water proof". Its all the same idea, weather with rain on the 32 - 35 degree range means problems.

It's currently -28 C here now (-18.7 F) and going down to -33 C (-27.4 F) overnight the next couple of days. At these temperatures, electric cars (not just Teslas) go into hiding.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Note to self, NEVER EVER move to the great white north ?

Global warming here, last two days high 60s. ? Crocus starting to pop up but ... it always catches up, winter comes on the weekend :cry:?
lol...global warming hitting us hard, too. I remember winters where we'd get a couple weeks of -35, now -33 is about the best Ol' Man Winter can throw at us.

·
Registered
673 Posts
lol...global warming hitting us hard, too. I remember winters where we'd get a couple weeks of -35, now -33 is about the best Ol' Man Winter can throw at us.
Be careful what you wish for!

-5C and snow in Vancouver which is snowmaggedon for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

I talked with someone in Vancouver today who said "Winter is hitting us hard, too." Right. I see people out on the streets here in shorts at -5 lol.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I talked with someone in Vancouver today who said "Winter is hitting us hard, too." Right. I see people out on the streets here in shorts at -5 lol.

It IS Snowmaggedon on the coast, we even get 'special' snow for our event, as it lands it goes straight to slippery with no in between! :oops:

We don't normally have to dig out... (n)

·
Registered
673 Posts
And all us boys raised on the Prairies are laughing our butts off. Or maybe that’s just the friggen cold!

1361 - 1380 of 1457 Posts