Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1441 - 1454 of 1454 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Oops. What's this?

I was pulled over by the police one night for not having any tail lights in my VW Golf. I carefully drove the rest of the way home with my hazards on. Next morning I pulled both tail lights off to check the bulbs and found two completely different bulbs made in two different countries. Both burned out.

I was the original owner of the car.

That was a MK IV.

My MK VI Golf came from the factory with a 5 speed shift knob. The car was a 6 speed...

When you’re in the manufacturing business you don’t stop the assembly line because of a parts shortage if you can help it. You improvise.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
My MK VI Golf came from the factory with a 5 speed shift knob. The car was a 6 speed...
That's unacceptable. The light bulbs are hidden, no one knows. But the shift knob is cosmetic and highly visible. I would have rejected the car as incorrectly provisioned. Building products with the wrong parts is never excusable. Its a sign that profits are more important than the customer.

You go to McD and order a hamburger and fries and they hand you a fish sandwich and say "sorry, out of hamburger, take the fish". NO,. Never go back again.

You buy a new iPhone, iPad, or a new HDTV. Get it home and the chip in it last years chip.

Oh sorry, don't worry about it. We ran out of parts so we used last years parts but charged you for todays prices

😡 You can't be serious. That's utter nonsense and BS no customer should accept.

Any company did that to me for any reason, they lost business forever.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
When you’re in the manufacturing business you don’t stop the assembly line because of a parts shortage if you can help it. You improvise.

The electric carmaker quietly started selling Model 3s with an old version of its control chips

"quietly" 😡

Tesla didn't alert new buyers

😡😡

I like Apple products although lately they have been disappointing. I bought the latest iMac, late 2019 model. If I found out the chip wasn't the latest, had to find out myself, and then the company later admitted it, ,.... 😡😡😡😡 That would be it. Never again buy anything from them.

This is not right no matter what the excuses.

·
Registered
913 Posts
This is not right no matter what the excuses.
So, I totally agree with you. However...

What processor does the ECU in your Porsche have? Do you know? When they built your car do you know they put the most recent one in? How do you know they didn’t have supply problems and gave you an old ECU with an old chip?

Tesla still makes mistakes, and they’ll continue to learn from them. But the fact is that we hold them to an entirely different standard than any other auto manufacturer. The spotlight that shines on them is like a thousand suns...

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
So, I totally agree with you. However...

What processor does the ECU in your Porsche have? Do you know? When they built your car do you know they put the most recent one in? How do you know they didn’t have supply problems and gave you an old ECU with an old chip?

Tesla still makes mistakes, and they’ll continue to learn from them. But the fact is that we hold them to an entirely different standard than any other auto manufacturer. The spotlight that shines on them is like a thousand suns...

No, we don't. Don't they think of it as a smart car, a smart phone on wheels? Look at us! We can do OTA! We can upgrade you on the fly!!!

If so, then you know there will be those who will jail break it just like those who hack into all computers. Wanna be a rolling computer? Then you get treated like a rolling computer.

If you want to be a computer, expect to be hacked like a computer. You can take that to the bank. What Porsche or any other car companies does is not relevant. They don't pretend to be rolling computers. You are trying to change the subject.

Tesla got caught. Now they pay the price.

·
Registered
913 Posts
No, we don't. Don't they think of it as a smart car, a smart phone on wheels? Look at us! We can do OTA! We can upgrade you on the fly!!!

If so, then you know there will be those who will jail break it just like those who hack into all computers. Wanna be a rolling computer? Then you get treated like a rolling computer.

If you want to be a computer, expect to be hacked like a computer. You can take that to the bank. What Porsche or any other car companies does is not relevant. They don't pretend to be rolling computers. You are trying to change the subject.

Tesla got caught. Now they pay the price.
Double standards my friend.

So, You keep going on about how they are going to be hacked and it’s only a matter of time etc.

Have Teslas been hacked? Because Porsches sure have.

I think Teslas are LESS hackable than a Porsche with “entry and drive”. But I don’t expect you to change your position.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Double standards my friend.

So, You keep going on about how they are going to be hacked and it’s only a matter of time etc.

Have Teslas been hacked? Because Porsches sure have.

I think Teslas are LESS hackable than a Porsche with “entry and drive”. But I don’t expect you to change your position.
:) Cmon thats 9 year old ancient history. You saw that article is from 2011? Funny thing though, none of those car brands claim to be a smart phone on wheels. They claim to be cars that use chips, not chips that can roll down the highway.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Tesla. California :rolleyes:

TL;DR?

Six counties in CA have locked down. Tesla has not. The County has decided Tesla is an essential service.

To be blunt, BS. :poop: There is no need to build electric cars. In fact electric cars are now screwed. Look carefully at the supply chains. Chinese supply chains, once this is over, are going to disappear.

IMO, its irresponsible to allow these people to work. This is not a "service". They are not fixing cars, cooking food, provide medical facilities, doing pluming, electrical work thats needed. Its just pushing this electric car agenda.

Bad mojo. Watch that "curve" they talk about now spike in this part of CA. Who is going to pay for that?

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
I'm really more worried about all the plastics being dumped into the ocean than I am recycling Lithium batteries or that Lithium batteries "might" recombust.
The law of unexpected consequences

“While we understand how strongly the Cambridge community cares about recycling items whenever possible, reusable checkout bags that have not been sufficiently disinfected could potentially contribute to the spread of COVID-19 among staff and customers at these establishments,” Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui of Cambridge said in a statement, adding that the order also eliminates fees for bags. “This immediate action is necessary to prevent and minimize the spread of COVID-19.”

·
Registered
670 Posts
I see a UK company, Milltek Sport, has a sound kit that can turn a Taken or Model 3 into a exhaust note belching machine. An electric car with genuine fake engine sound makes it more palatable for the sporty driver like me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1441 - 1454 of 1454 Posts