Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raised this issue a while ago, but I'm about to actually purchase the new tires and I'd like to make sure. Have a 2014 CS with the original equipment 19" Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tires all around. Rears still have good tread on them, but it's time to replace the front tires. I've heard a lot of good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and I'd really like to try them, but the general consensus I've heard is: don't mix. My thought would be to eventually replace the rears with the Michelins as well. How really bad would it be to mix? If the tires are both similar in performance, what issues are we talking here? I realize the asymmetric tread might be something to consider. Wouldn't be doing any tracking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My opinion....Don't do it. Handling can really get upset due to dissimilar tread designs. I've read where a few folks have done so and then reported all kinds of squirrelly handling issues until they returned to a matched set. Feel free to contact Tire Rack for advice though. It won't cost you anything to ask an expert.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don’t and wouldn’t for pure esthetics. Never heard of any REAL problems though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
30 Posts
I’ve never had issues mixing.. of course they should be in the same wheel house. My MR2 has 17/18 combo, there is little if any matching sets for that double staggered setup.. it was fine for the most part... If I had a choice, I wouldn’t mix tyres tho

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I feel like it has more to do with selling more tires when a retailer/tire shop says it and because the manufacturers tell them to say it. The problems might occur at the limit of the tires when testing so they just say don’t do it.

Personally it drives me nuts to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
30 Posts
I don’t like it either.. but it was out of necessity for me... I needed 4, but the rack didn’t have 4 🤷‍♂️
I bought 2 A7 Hoosiers 2 Kuhmo v700’s... they’re both top notch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t like it either.. but it was out of necessity for me... I needed 4, but the rack didn’t have 4 🤷‍♂️
I bought 2 A7 Hoosiers 2 Kuhmo v700’s... they’re both top notch
Did you have any issues?

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
30 Posts
Did you have any issues?
No.. but the listed tyres are DOT’s, so there just sticky... I bought a used M3 years ago with mixed tires... it wasn’t bad, but better once I got all 4 new it was obviously better...
matching will always be the better choice imo

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it’s a bigger deal to match 6 year old tires on one axle with new ones on the other, regarless of make. If you’re just street driving, it may not make much of a difference though.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
30 Posts
I think it’s a bigger deal to match 6 year old tires on one axle with new ones on the other, regarless of make. If you’re just street driving, it may not make much of a difference though.
Agree... mixing is never the first option..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to mix tires, although not ideal from what I understand. We go through vehicles before they typically need tires, but the couple times that we've purchased tires they've been all four at Costco due to their discounts.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Agreed with all above. Couple of considerations:

- This car is the most chatty car this side of track-prepped car or racecar that I had chance to sit in or drive. Meaning, it will tell you almost everything - as long as you are listening. So, as much as the mix of tires might be/is non-issue on normal cars, here you might be able to feel it and not like it

- If you keep posted speeds, you will be fine in any case. What I would not do is drive spiritedly in sport mode with relaxed nannies and 6 years old tires on the rear. If old tires were on the front, still a bad idea, but slightly better combo. Again, drive posted speeds +5 mph and you will be fine if point above doesn't bother you.

That said, as soon as you can, put all 4 same tires on. Michelin Sport 4S, which I currently run, are really nice tire - more quiet, more compliant, no steering bump on max steering lock. Wet traction in hot weather is almost unbelievable.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep in mind that the Tires are what connect you to the ground.
Acceleration, handling...and most important - Braking!
I would not mix tire brands as it would not make for predictable handling...and you car is a sportscar, not a prius.
I would also be cautious about mixing same tire brand and type - but different spec. N0, N1 = porsche, M0=mercedes, etc...these are same tires, but different manufacture specifications for the rubber compounds, even sizing characteristics.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had to replace my Contis on the rear and TireRack suggested to stay with the Contis and not mix Michelins on the rear and Contis on the front. The Goodyear’s originally came on my car and I replaced them 3 years ago with the Contis because the 4S weren’t out in my size yet. The Goodyears were not considered very good tires, and I felt some improvement going to Contis. Your Goodyears are 6 years old which is the edge of their lifetime. Replace all four and get the Michelins.

On another note, I t’s strange that the rears are good and the fronts are worn. That’s unusual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree it isn't optimal for handling or cosmetics, but not worthy of overthink. I've run many cars, my CS included, with a mix from front to rear. I bias towards mixing rather than taking off tires with good life left when I transition to something different. I think more drivers would notice a mix of older and newer tires from axle to axle than similarly aged tires of differing brand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I raised this issue a while ago, but I'm about to actually purchase the new tires and I'd like to make sure. Have a 2014 CS with the original equipment 19" Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tires all around. Rears still have good tread on them, but it's time to replace the front tires. I've heard a lot of good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and I'd really like to try them, but the general consensus I've heard is: don't mix. My thought would be to eventually replace the rears with the Michelins as well. How really bad would it be to mix? If the tires are both similar in performance, what issues are we talking here? I realize the asymmetric tread might be something to consider. Wouldn't be doing any tracking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I would strongly advise against the mix. My 2015 Cayman GTS came with the GY tires. They have much lower grip than the Michelin 4S that I'm running now. Even for daily street driving, the handling will change and a minor close call in traffic could easily result in a spin or an accident. In my experience, the 4S is an awesome upgrade and you will not regret replacing all 4.
Best
Paul

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Michelin’s stick better then the Goodyear's. The Goodyears break traction easily on the rear for me the Michelin just don’t so I would not mix. If you are located anywhere near Alabama my rear Goodyears are about done and I have a set of Michelins. I am sure we could work something out for the fronts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts