Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had to replace my Contis on the rear and TireRack suggested to stay with the Contis and not mix Michelins on the rear and Contis on the front. The Goodyear’s originally came on my car and I replaced them 3 years ago with the Contis because the 4S weren’t out in my size yet. The Goodyears were not considered very good tires, and I felt some improvement going to Contis. Your Goodyears are 6 years old which is the edge of their lifetime. Replace all four and get the Michelins.

On another note, I t’s strange that the rears are good and the fronts are worn. That’s unusual.
Yeah, didn't mention, but I've actually replaced both front and rears before, each time with the GY Eagles. It was just this time I'm thinking of doing the Michelins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I raised this issue a while ago, but I'm about to actually purchase the new tires and I'd like to make sure. Have a 2014 CS with the original equipment 19" Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tires all around. Rears still have good tread on them, but it's time to replace the front tires. I've heard a lot of good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and I'd really like to try them, but the general consensus I've heard is: don't mix. My thought would be to eventually replace the rears with the Michelins as well. How really bad would it be to mix? If the tires are both similar in performance, what issues are we talking here? I realize the asymmetric tread might be something to consider. Wouldn't be doing any tracking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi. Never had an issue. I have a 2014 CS and for few thousand miles i drove and tracked front MPS4S and back PZERO. now i have MP4S all around and happy with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't mix if you're going to drive it hard, the dynamics could potentially be very different.

Also from a safety standpoint, you would be putting a better tire on your front with a worse tire on the rear. If you lose traction it will be at the rear because the feedback you get from the front will make you think everything is OK and then you could suddenly lose traction at the back.
If your front tires are worse at the front with better tires at the back, you know where the limit is when you go into a corner. You'll be safer.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts