Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started almost four years ago to this day. I walked into a Porsche showroom and saw my first Cayman. When I inquired about the car, the salesman told me I wouldn’t be interested because this was a “true driver’s car”. He told me the only buyers for Caymans were sports car nuts who came in specifically asking for them. I might as well have written him a check then and there. A thirty minute test drive sealed the deal and off I went in a midnight blue 2006 CS.

With only 700 miles on the clock I went to my first de event. Although I babied the car, short shifting to keep the revs below 4,500, the car’s potential was apparent.

But what about that inherent understeer? It started with camber plates. Then there was the Bilstein PSS damptronic suspension. Then came the new Guard LSD, followed by the front sway bar. Then came the front lower control arms along with a new rear sway bar. Meanwhile, I was toying with various power improvements. I tried someone else’s flash before I ended up with the one from Softronic. Of course, I just had to have the underdrive pulley, the Milltek exhaust and the Softronic plenum.

As you can see from my list of mods below, I did a nice job of keeping my local race shop busy. Throughout the process, I was confident my car was getting faster, it was handling better on the track, and my lap times were going down.

But, oh, that ride. With the car lowered and with the stiffer springs and shocks, it was not joyful to cruise the streets of Boston. In fact, I found myself using the car less and less. The car was wonderful at the track but, oh, that ride.

A friend told me early on that modifying your car is a slippery slope. I told myself I would exercise restraint. Really? What was I thinking?

The turning point for me came last fall when I had the chance to drive one of the Interseries Caymans at Watkins Glen. The combination of a stripped, lighter, faster car, with a serious race suspension, full cage, and all the safety equipment, helped me see the light. If I was going to continue to progress as a driver on the track, I wanted to have a fully dedicated track car with proper seats, harnesses, data acquisition, and a roll bar or cage. This is not a package anyone would want to drive on the street.

Another factor was that I suffered three mechanical problems at three events, all hundreds of miles from home, which left the car disabled. In each case I was fortunate to have gotten help (parts, labor, or both) and I was able to drive my car home, but not without missing some track time and suffering some stress. The advantage of bringing a car in on a trailer was becoming more evident.

All along, I was haunted by the words of my dealer who told me when I bought the car that it would be worth more money to him on trade while it was still under warranty so he could sell it as a CPO car. That helped push me over the edge.

After wrestling with the decision all winter, I went to the dealer two weeks ago and made a deal for a new ’11 CS to arrive early this summer. I brought the old car back to the shop to “unmodify” it and restore it to stock condition. It took several days to do the work. I picked it up a couple of days ago.

I was surprised how nice the car was to drive in stock form. As I made changes to the car, I always viewed the reduction in ride quality as a minor sacrifice to better performance on the track. Now, I could say that all those “little” changes added up to a ride quality that was a much bigger sacrifice than I ever let on.

End of the story? The Gen 2 cars definitely ride a little more smoothly and quietly than our Gen 1 cars. The tweaks they made to the interior are subtle but meaningful. Those changes may not seem like reason enough to trade my old car but I’ve got “new” on the brain and it’s a hard feeling to put off.

I expect to drive this new car a lot more around town than my old one. Eventually, I will get another car for track use exclusively. In the meantime, I’ve got a pile of cool parts sitting in my garage that came off the old car. Knowing me, I’d better get that track car soon before I get tempted to start putting them on the new car. It's a slippery slope... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
. . . In the meantime, I’ve got a pile of cool parts sitting in my garage that came off the old car. Knowing me, I’d better get that track car soon before I get tempted to start putting them on the new car. It's a slippery slope...
Better start selling them in the Classifieds so you won't be tempted . . . ;)

I too always have mixed feelings about going down the mod path; it's hard not to get caught up in the fever, especially when you hang out on a website like this all the time. Thanks for sharing your honest feelings; glad to hear you'll still be a Caymanite. :)

·
On Probation
582 Posts
what did the salesman tell you ?

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,652 Posts
I know the feeling. Do I want to get serious and go racing or continue to DE? With what I spent on modding my car I could have a very nice spec Miata & trailer. but the wife would freak out, I'd need to sell the CS & but a tow vechilcle & I have no place to store the car & trailer. SO I'm going to continue to enjoy the dual purpose car for now.

Enjoy your 11 CS. Are you going to run it stock at DE's for now? Perhaps we will finally meet at the track

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enjoy your 11 CS. Are you going to run it stock at DE's for now? Perhaps we will finally meet at the track
Hmmm, tough question. First of all, I am really enjoying these last few days in my '06 now that it's once again completely stock. It's a pleasure to drive around town. However, I know that once I get back into the track events this season i am going to feel very tempted to re-use some of those nice parts I have stashed in the garage.

I will definitely use my track wheels and tires plus Pagid brake pads at the track. If I go further, the next step would probably be to install the sway bars, lower control arms and camber plates. These will help alleviate the stock understeer and help with more even tire wear at the track. That said, I know there are some guys out there running the pants off their CS's in stock form with R compounds and they sound like they are having a blast. Do they know something we don't know?

I'm not sure about the LSD. I really love the Guard unit. I hate driving around now without it. I'll have to spend some time with the new oem LSD to see if I can live with it.

I guess I won't mind continuing to run the '11 as a dual purpose car for a little while. Ultimately, I think it will come down to how many track days I want to do each year, how close to the limit I want to drive, and whether I really want to have another car sitting on a trailer, taking up another garage bay. As I think you know, unless you have unlimited funds and tons of free time, these decisions can be very complicated.

Yes, it would be nice to finally meet. Do you know when you'll be at the Glen this year?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Better start selling them in the Classifieds so you won't be tempted . . . ;)

I too always have mixed feelings about going down the mod path; it's hard not to get caught up in the fever, especially when you hang out on a website like this all the time. Thanks for sharing your honest feelings; glad to hear you'll still be a Caymanite. :)
Hi Jonathan,

As KS-CS mentioned, are you selling the parts?
I am def interested in the part since i am local to you.
PM sent.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,652 Posts
At the Glen:
May 12-13 cups & saucers
June 18-19 Zone 1 (Maybe)
June 23-24 Niagra PCA- Advanced (maybe)
Aug 13-15 NNJR-PCA
September 21-22 NNJR PCA

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
1. Radiator hose blew. An engine mount bolt head chafed through a coolant hose on the underside of the car. The hose was a $20 part. There was a dealer an hour and a half away to get it. The repair took quite a bit of time to remove the panels under the car and reassemble them after the hose was replaced. More time was spent filling the car with anti-freeze, a somewhat unusual procedure in Caymans and Boxsters. The bigger concern here was that I almost crashed the car when the coolant leaked onto the rear tires while I was doing hot laps and the car became nearly uncontrollable.

2. Power steering hose blew out. Probably from all the heat at the track. I was able to borrow some power steering fluid and keep it topped off until I got home and brought it to the dealer for repair under warranty.

3. Sway bar link broke because it rubbed the adjustable sway bar in one of its positions.

#1 above happened at thetrack but it's hard to know if it wouldn't have happened elsewhere. #2 and #3 above were clearly a result of driving at the track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.