Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wanted to share my latest modification with the 987 community. Always liked the look of headlights with black out internals rather than two big chromey beacons being on the front of the car.

Did some research and found a company that produces replacement headlights that are aftermarket for about £1k from the US. Felt this was pretty steep so set about modifying my own lights and painting the insides black to achieve the same / similar results. Found an old forum thread which had a small amount of information from someone who had taken on the challenge, and trust me when I say it was a challenge!!!

And here is the finished results. I personally love it and think it really makes the car look much more modern.

Reactions: ottobon100

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice!
How did you separate the lens from the assembly? Heat gun & prying?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice!
How did you separate the lens from the assembly? Heat gun & prying?
Heat doesn't work with Porsche lights from the 987 model years across the whole Porsche range. They swapped the supplier of the sealant around that time and the stuff they used does not break down with heat. The lights would melt and burn before the sealant did anything.

It takes a mixture of home made tools and carefully treating the sealant with solvents being careful not to get any on the plastic as that will melt and discolour it. And a lot of patience and persistence!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Heat doesn't work with Porsche lights from the 987 model years across the whole Porsche range. They swapped the supplier of the sealant around that time and the stuff they used does not break down with heat. The lights would melt and burn before the sealant did anything.

It takes a mixture of home made tools and carefully treating the sealant with solvents being careful not to get any on the plastic as that will melt and discolour it. And a lot of patience and persistence!!!
What solvent did you use? Can you share your procedure? I'd like to open mine for some modifications. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Awesome job on the lights. I was thinking about this for awhile. Do you have the name of the US company that makes the replacement lights?

Thanks!

Hi all,
Did some research and found a company that produces replacement headlights that are aftermarket for about £1k from the US. Felt this was pretty steep so set about modifying my own lights and painting the insides black to achieve the same / similar results. Found an old forum thread which had a small amount of information from someone who had taken on the challenge, and trust me when I say it was a challenge!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey there!

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the sands of time, but I'd love to know if you're still making these modified headlights? I'm in the US, and I'd absolutely love to have a pair for my CS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.