Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a novel one. Having removed the carpet engine cover on my 07 CS many times i am struck how heavy it is. I am in the process of modding my car but at the same time i like to keep it looking as oem as possible. It seems if i am doing other weight saving measures, how about retaining the carpet cover but shaving most of the sound deadening/insulation underneath so it weighs very little. I have driven around with the cover off and it wasn't too terrible so imagine retaining a cut down version wouldn't make much difference to noise/heat.

Thoughts???

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
On a side note, I believe you can not participate in a PCA track event with an HIP engine cover. They do look awesome though =)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I find this a bit of extreme!

If you wear shorts with no underwear instead of jeans you'd save the same weight of the carpet.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You wear heavy undies! My cover weighs 12 lbs. I left it off last year on my predominately track rat to reap the rewards of lightness, but the buzzing/rattle that vary with RPM is sometimes annoying. I'm putting it back on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i will have a better look at it tomorrow in daylight, to be clear i am talking about retaining the cover so from above it looks oem and it still forms an effective seal against heat/noise, but underneath most of the bulky material will be shaved away.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Seriously? Is that published somewhere? I've never seen that in any rule book or published as fact, never had anyone at any track event balk at any clear cover I've had with me.

See this article on clear covers: Clear Engine Cover Shoot-Out! - Articles

Ive never heard that either but in dealing with them trying to make sure my build is legal for club racing it's been absolute absurdity. The decision making process on what you can and can't doesn't follow logic so the above wouldn't surprise me one bit.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I am always amused by weight saving at this minimal amount for the street. It is like people who occasionally cycle and are looking to buy a bike that is 2 pounds lighter. Lose two pounds and you get about the same effect. Same for cars......run with 3/4 tank of gas and save the weight (and more) of the carpet cover. Take everything out of trunk and funk except that which is critical, lose a few pounds and you get the same effect. I in no way am trying to disparage the OP just that everything is relative and, as others have said, if you are a street driver mainly, the savings can be achieved other ways and the loss of sound proofing vs weigh savings is probably not worth the trip, so to speak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ha ha guys yes you're right its the sort of mod that on its own sounds ridiculous but along with the other weight saving mods I'm doing it all adds up. And the way i look at it is yesterday i spent 2 hours making a copy of the carpet cover out of hardboard and black carpet to avoid chopping up the oem part. If you look at it now you wouldn't notice a difference unless you look very closely. It cost me about £30 and the main thing was it was FUN, its all part of the enjoyment of owning the car and when i weighed the two parts back to back i saved 4 kilos. If i get tired of it i'll put the oem part back in. Happy motoring to you...
:cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am liking the clear engine cover more and more...They are quite expensive though XD

**Edit**

Thanks K-Man! Reading your article.

I love clear engine covers...R8...Ferrari and Lamborghinis but the Flat 6 is a little ugly hehe all those hoses T_T

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think for me it's amazing at how much weight Porsche packs into these cars after making so many painstaking engineering steps to take weight out of structural elements of the chassis and powertrain? Almost like engineers of chassis and interior are separated and given different objectives. I think that heavy engine cover insulation is perfect example of where Porsche lost its way trying to make car appeal to luxury crowd. Certainly a thinner lighter bit of sound insulation and lightweight carpet could have shaved lbs off here and in many other places where Porsche let luxurary buyers skew sporting elements. One of my biggest complaints coming to cayman out of 914s and then Boxsters is that cayman feels overly insulated and quiet. While a very capable car I feel a little removed from experience.

it's easy to dismiss single elements that add 5 or 10 lbs to say it's too much trouble for a street car however there are many of these over weight nonfunctional bits in our cars. I m looking at redoing my interior with snap in lightweight carpeting to keep noise down and to aid in keeping interior clean. I suspect when I have all crap out of interior and have lightweight carpet covering all surfaces I will have eliminated nearly hundred lbs of heavy trim, heavy carpet, unneeded heavy insulation.

Im surprised more companies haven't designed an RS interior package that tastefully eliminate all heavy Porsche installed interior in favor of a less insulated more lightweight focused trim for street/track cars. Eliminate all insulation in floors , doors etc replace with lightweight carpet. Replace heavier trim pieces with dry carbon pieces. Seems like there is no compromise available. Either you gut the car and cage it or leave most of interior in the car and it stays on the street. Anyone who has gutted a Boxster or Cayman knows how much dead weight is in the interior of these cars. It's sort of astounding. I have started to experiment with differ lightweight materials and have not seen marked increase in sound levels. Especially if you keep stock induction air box and reasonable exhaust system. Gosh car is so quiet right now I sometimes forget I'm in lower gear as I can't even hear motor spinning at high RPMs.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Actually, at about 7.5 lbs/gal, a quarter tank of gas is about 30 lbs. So get the Braille battery, run with 1/3 tank of gas, get lightweight rims and brakes, run it at the low end of the oil level gauge, remove all carpet, and get the lightweight engine cover and carbon fiber bucket seats. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah - get down to a 30" waist or less, shave your head, don't wear shoes, leave ur smartphone at home, and run on an empty stomach while thirsty.

Makes me want to go have a cold beer when I think about it that way!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
having said all that, I think a cool package would be it clear engine cover coupled with a lightweight rear hatch replacement with big and clear cooling ducting from the engine compartment out through the hatch. Save about 30 pounds of weight and give me all that visual appeal and more cooling of the engine compartment area. that sounds like a cool idea to me (pardon the pun).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm looking at lightweight composite sheet with some sort of lightweight foam core then glue lightweight non backed carpet to sheet. As long as I keep sheet same width as stock retention slots new cover should fit well into OEM location. I will probably put two small straps on it as well to ease removal. Once you get all foam out of OEM cover it makes a good template to make a lightweight alternative .

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think for me it's amazing at how much weight Porsche packs into these cars after making so many painstaking engineering steps to take weight out of structural elements of the chassis and powertrain? Almost like engineers of chassis and interior are separated and given different objectives. I think that heavy engine cover insulation is perfect example of where Porsche lost its way trying to make car appeal to luxury crowd. Certainly a thinner lighter bit of sound insulation and lightweight carpet could have shaved lbs off here and in many other places where Porsche let luxurary buyers skew sporting elements. One of my biggest complaints coming to cayman out of 914s and then Boxsters is that cayman feels overly insulated and quiet. While a very capable car I feel a little removed from experience.

it's easy to dismiss single elements that add 5 or 10 lbs to say it's too much trouble for a street car however there are many of these over weight nonfunctional bits in our cars. I m looking at redoing my interior with snap in lightweight carpeting to keep noise down and to aid in keeping interior clean. I suspect when I have all crap out of interior and have lightweight carpet covering all surfaces I will have eliminated nearly hundred lbs of heavy trim, heavy carpet, unneeded heavy insulation.

Im surprised more companies haven't designed an RS interior package that tastefully eliminate all heavy Porsche installed interior in favor of a less insulated more lightweight focused trim for street/track cars. Eliminate all insulation in floors , doors etc replace with lightweight carpet. Replace heavier trim pieces with dry carbon pieces. Seems like there is no compromise available. Either you gut the car and cage it or leave most of interior in the car and it stays on the street. Anyone who has gutted a Boxster or Cayman knows how much dead weight is in the interior of these cars. It's sort of astounding. I have started to experiment with differ lightweight materials and have not seen marked increase in sound levels. Especially if you keep stock induction air box and reasonable exhaust system. Gosh car is so quiet right now I sometimes forget I'm in lower gear as I can't even hear motor spinning at high RPMs.
Yes and lets not forget a lightweight battery, depending on your wallet one can save around 35 pounds. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts