Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a Porsche fan all my life. That commercial of the kid on a bike going to the dealer, sitting in an 911, and then telling the dealer he'd be back in 20 years or so? That's me. Approaching my 50th birthday and ready for my first Porsche. However, my budget is under $30k, so I am looking at 996/997 models. There are LOTS available to select from in this price range, but.....I don't fit!

I am 6'-7" and definitely not fit, at 320 lbs or so. I am your classic VLA - Very Large American. Used to be fit, but blew out my knees, got an office job, had kids, and now have a sizable "dad body"

Recently sat in a 997 (a clean 2005 C4) and struggled to get my knees under the steering wheel, and absolutely could not get my right foot on the throttle peddle due to the position of the center console. The model I sat in did not have tilt steering, only telescoping. Is that normal? Is tilt steering an option for 997's? I had the seat cranked back, down, and tilted, as I am accustomed to doing in anything smaller than an F-250, but I jus t could not get my leg in a position where I could actually drive! So crestfallen!

So I hopped over to a 2002 996 C and found the proportions to be different, but not better. The alignment of the gas pedal to center console was more beneficial, but again, no tilt steering wheel, so I struggled mightily to get under the wheel properly, and simply couldn't do it.

I've read hundreds of posts where "I'm 6'-6" and 250 lbs and fit great!", but I've yet to read about anyone actually Big AND Tall. After 40 years in production, surely someone has figured out how to fit in one of the most classic and desirable cars on the road. What is the secret? How are you fitting? What mod's did you make? In the jeep world there are "big boy" seat riser kits and so forth. Anything similar in the Porsche world?

For reference, I also have tried sitting in a 2008 Cayman (nope, way too small), and a 2014 Cayman. I actually could drive the 2014 Cayman, but I began cramping after about 5 minutes and was clawing at the door to get out (which was a struggle because my body was up against the door lever and blocking access to it!). I figure the 911 is more promising because there is no silly firewall 1" behind the seats, but I never thought that the steering wheel would be so aggressively in my way.

I'd love to hear from other, big and tall VLA's about how they manage to fit in their beloved Porsche. I am so tired of the conspiracy against the tall!

Here is a photo of me in comparison to my family. I am in the green on the left. My son is 6'-9", my daughter is about 6'-1", and my wife 6'-2"

Also, Here is that commercial I was thinking of: https://youtu.be/7sWPHKU1XZU

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
I've been a Porsche fan all my life. That commercial of the kid on a bike going to the dealer, sitting in an 911, and then telling the dealer he'd be back in 20 years or so? That's me. Approaching my 50th birthday and ready for my first Porsche. However, my budget is under $30k, so I am looking at 996/997 models. There are LOTS available to select from in this price range, but.....I don't fit!

I am 6'-7" and definitely not fit, at 320 lbs or so. I am your classic VLA - Very Large American. Used to be fit, but blew out my knees, got an office job, had kids, and now have a sizable "dad body"

Recently sat in a 997 (a clean 2005 C4) and struggled to get my knees under the steering wheel, and absolutely could not get my right foot on the throttle peddle due to the position of the center console. The model I sat in did not have tilt steering, only telescoping. Is that normal? Is tilt steering an option for 997's? I had the seat cranked back, down, and tilted, as I am accustomed to doing in anything smaller than an F-250, but I jus t could not get my leg in a position where I could actually drive! So crestfallen!

So I hopped over to a 2002 996 C and found the proportions to be different, but not better. The alignment of the gas pedal to center console was more beneficial, but again, no tilt steering wheel, so I struggled mightily to get under the wheel properly, and simply couldn't do it.

I've read hundreds of posts where "I'm 6'-6" and 250 lbs and fit great!", but I've yet to read about anyone actually Big AND Tall. After 40 years in production, surely someone has figured out how to fit in one of the most classic and desirable cars on the road. What is the secret? How are you fitting? What mod's did you make? In the jeep world there are "big boy" seat riser kits and so forth. Anything similar in the Porsche world?

For reference, I also have tried sitting in a 2008 Cayman (nope, way too small), and a 2014 Cayman. I actually could drive the 2014 Cayman, but I began cramping after about 5 minutes and was clawing at the door to get out (which was a struggle because my body was up against the door lever and blocking access to it!). I figure the 911 is more promising because there is no silly firewall 1" behind the seats, but I never thought that the steering wheel would be so aggressively in my way.

I'd love to hear from other, big and tall VLA's about how they manage to fit in their beloved Porsche. I am so tired of the conspiracy against the tall!

Here is a photo of me in comparison to my family. I am in the green on the left. My son is 6'-9", my daughter is about 6'-1", and my wife 6'-2"

Also, Here is that commercial I was thinking of: https://youtu.be/7sWPHKU1XZU
I'm afraid you're looking at a Panamera, or a Cayenne. Both are extremely fun and agile cars for their sizes, and are infused with Porsche DNA . I think you're just too big for a 911. Sorry about that!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
How far are you willing to go? How DIY are you?

996/997 engine problems aside (metric tons of info available on this - whole nother topic).

Here is what I would do as an avid DIY guy (also 6.4" and 50 yo)

1.) Find a place that sells Sparco seats and go sit in a "Sparco Evo 3" seat. Its a race shell, with thin padding but surprisingly comfortable for street use and sized for big boys.
2.) If the Sparco wont work try similar seats and find one that is comfy - it has to be a race type shell seat.
3.) purchase seat and mounting assembly for car
3.) mount seat in car as far back as possible - this will get you a couple of inches over stock, but....it may not be enough.
4.) if the over the counter seat mount solution will not work then carefully remove carpet and look at options for fabricating a mount. This may involve removing the back seat, cutting out the stock mounting points and welding in a basic framework for the seat to mount to. You should be able to get the seat back and down a bit farther, I know they do in the race cars.

If you are not comfortable with the welding go to a shop like TRE motorsports in LA or a place that works on 996/997 race cars and they can fab the mount. Paint mods to taste and re-install carpet with any necessary cut modifications.

You may have to wear driving shoes all the time depending on size of ?

If you have to cut and weld I would start with a $12K 996 because it will probably negatively effect the value of a nice car. Note $12K 996's have their own long list of problems - do your research so you know what you are getting into if you have not.

It can be done! Dont let your size keep you from the dream! :)

Great looking family that you will want to be around for. Consider 20min a day of moderate exercise and watch the carbs, soda and coffee drinks with sugar....:)

Make it a goal to fight the dad bod and do some track days with your new fitness!

·
Registered
832 Posts
At 6' 7" and +300lbs you may need to give up on the idea of a compact sports car. Good news is there are many sporty SUV now available which just might do the trick. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
A very nice looking family. However, I too have to recommend you give up the idea of a small sports car. Getting comfortable is important and I'm sure that's not going to happen in any sports car. The only alternative is the Porsche Cayenne or Macan, both of which handle like sports cars but have the room you need. Both of those alternatives will likely also exceed your budget but appear to be the only alternative. Good luck.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Look for a 991.2 without sunroof.-Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BudRichard, yes clearly a 991.2 is the answer, but after selling the house, where will I sleep? Lol.

Yes, I am open to the DIY option regarding seats, and found the BK line of seat mounts, but it’s still really, REALLY hard to spend $20k on a car without driving it, or even knowing if you will ever be able to drive it!

BMW X5 fit amazing, but are heavy and plain, uninspiring, even the V8 versions

Maybe I should just get a CTS-V until 991’s fall into my price range :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I’ll chime in. I’m 6’6’’ and up until 6 months ago was 380#s. My last car before marriage was a 997.1 C2S. Pre-marriage and a desk job and when I owned the C2S I was 320. I was the most comfortable that I have ever been in a Porsche. In fact I even had to move the seat forward to have the most comfortable driving position. My question is what in particular is the biggest hang up? Is it bending the knee to get it on the other side of the steering wheel? Do you have limited mobility in that leg since your injury? PM me and i can give some more tidbits. Stay away from the CTS-V. Drove one for a few months and it is just not as fun as the 911. I started on the Keto diet and in 6 months have lost 75lbs and am rewarding myself with another C2S once I hit 100lbs. Don’t give up on the dream as I know it can be done from one big man to another.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For reference, I’m 6’8” and 260. I had a 997.2 and was pretty comfortable, but had a slight issue with the steering wheel as you describe. I found an extender that added about 2” to the length of the steering column. It provided more clearance for my legs, but also allowed for a more overall driving position since it allowed a little more bend in my arms, even with the seat all the way back and with some recline. I will say, I just moved into a 992.1 and it’s a car that I’m extremely comfortable in. The 997.2 was a weekend car, the 991.1 was so good I sold my grand Cherokee so I could dd the Porsche.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.