Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, just acquired a 2014 boxster s that has been well taken care of despite fairly high mileage. original owner was faithful to all the service needs spelled out in the manual and had it serviced at local porsche dealership. however, in the two weeks of owning the car, have discovered a mold smell coming into the cabin, especially when the top is down. shampooed the carpets and mats, no smell there. no smell from upper vents, whether a/c is on or not. it almost seems to come from lower vents and air being "sucked up" when top is down. checked rear drain holes and they are clear and functioning. nothing on front rads. I have searched online but cannot find where drain holes are for front of car (other than one at gas intake on right fender). Appreciate any suggestions or knowledge about this from folks in the forum. Lots of info on older boxster but not the newer generation about this issue or where water drains are in front of car. I should mention that previous owner has parked car in his driveway for 3+ months due to covid-19 before he finally put it up for sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. The filter behind the glove box is fairly new, changed back in November. I pulled it out and it seems clean and has no smell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I may not be able to diagnose the problem but I can offer some friendly advice on how to chase it.

Do NOT bring it to a detailing shop. They just mask/get rid of the smell not source the reason for the smell.

Mold is water - so now you need to chase the area, and then the source of the water.

If you can’t do that yourself, I’m betting an independant Porsche specialty guy in your area will have some tips or can solve it.
Dealership is same as the detailing guys.... flat rate techs are likely to not find the source, rather just mask it.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this great advice. I know there is vent sprays and also even a cabin spray to use but in the end, they are all just covering up a problem. Because the car sat for 3 or so months in the spring, i strongly suspect leaves or a nest, etc....is somewhere up front of the car. I will take you advice and take it to competent specialty shop in our area. Thanks again for your valued time and feedback

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
981s have two filters for the cabin. There is another one in the frunk under the plastic cover in a box on the passenger side. Ive also seen pics of a mouse nest and other critters in that area

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I this the one in the front compartment behind the glovebox by the battery? that is the one i checked. where is the other one?

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
68 Posts
I this the one in the front compartment behind the glovebox by the battery? that is the one i checked. where is the other one?
The first filter is like a pre filter that is long and narrow and and bends 90 degrees when you install it. It is under the removable panel beside the battery in the frunk. The main filter is closer to square and you remove some torx screws to a plastic panel under the glove box to get to it. The main filter that I bought was treated with carbon to remove odors.
Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for this. Does anyone know where I can obtain an online schematic of a boxster 981? See other boxster models online. but cannot source a 981
thanks

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
68 Posts
Thanks for this. Does anyone know where I can obtain an online schematic of a boxster 981? See other boxster models online. but cannot source a 981
thanks
Try this link below, it has information, manuals, parts books, etc.....for most Porsche models including the 981 so don’t get overwhelmed by the size of the download. You can pick and choose what you want to keep.
Jim
Oh man finally! couldn't thank you enough! :)

One more addition: http://delaraspelle.com/porsche/Mobile Technical Library 1-17.zip (2.7 GB) has all the SIT documents of all porsche models, Porsche Training books, Porsche classic cars (911, 928, 944) workshop manuals, Diagnostic info of all the cars.

Now, with your manual I guess 981 info should be complete. Thanks again!

Reactions: Proj_356_B

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
68 Posts
Excellent, what a resource! Thanks
I saved all the Service Information Technik Introduction books which are the overview of the changes for the Porsche mechanics. I kept all the Boxster and a Cayman Technik guides from 2009 on so that covers the changes to the new 9A1 DFI engines and PDK transmissions introduced in the 987.2 in 2009. They only show new changes so the 2014 Cayman 981 guide will not include what was new to the new 2013 Boxster 981. Very good and interesting information. The 6000+ page workshop manual is great once you get the hang of finding things. The 737 page Parts Book for the 981 2014-2016 is great showing diagrams of the sub assemblies with all the part numbers including the different part numbers for the different options.

These are PDF’s and I put the manuals and parts book on a universal thumb drive with a lighting jack for my I-phone on one end and a USB/micro on the other end so I can view the manuals on my phone when I am in the garage. As you can see from my signature I do a lot of DIY projects and all of the service and maintenance. I couldn’t do it without this.
Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much Jim, so much info to take in which is invaluable to a newbie learning everything the 981 does. I have 2005 911 and the technology difference between the cars is incredible. Still working my way through the owners manuals for the boxster! Again, big thanks for your help here. Take care

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
68 Posts
Thanks so much Jim, so much info to take in which is invaluable to a newbie learning everything the 981 does. I have 2005 911 and the technology difference between the cars is incredible. Still working my way through the owners manuals for the boxster! Again, big thanks for your help here. Take care
Welcome to the community!
I grew up with Mad Magazine almost 60 years ago. When are you going to bring it back?:LOL:
Jim

·
Premium Member
34,223 Posts
thanks
The other filter is accessed under the passenger side. there are a few screws that hold the panel that covers it. if you PM me I can send you the docs I have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts