Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since i last visited planet-9. I must say, it's good to be back.

Unfortunately, this thread may be my last, depending on how things turn out by the end of it, and this is why...

1. My Cayman S was transformed by TPC almost 3 years and 30,000+ miles ago. Rock solid daily driver. More than I could've ever asked for.

2. My car was one of the first in CA, tuned with CA 91 octane

3. If my car does not pass smog in the next 60 days, I can't renew my registration, which means the car will be up for sale out of state.

4. My first trip to the SMOG station last week yielded good and bad news.

Good news first: the car, with stock headers and cats, passed the sniffer with flying colors, easily passing all emissions requirements.

More good news: the technician was unable to locate my engine after checking the front boot and the rear deck. So much for the visual inspection.

Bad news: overall, the car failed the smog test because the OBD2 port reported that the car was not in "smog ready" status. This is usually caused by dead battery or resetting a CEL/fault code. The standard "fix' is to simply drive the car around for 50 or so miles for all the various emission sensors to be "ready." Unfortunately, neither my battery failed recently nor did i clear my CEL/fault code within the last 50 miles.

4. After some research and comparison with fellow TPC owners, it's evident that the TPC tune disables our O2 sensors, which permanently keeps the car from being in "smog ready" status as far as CA is concerned. This is fine in almost every state except for CA, which requires: (1) sniffer, (2) visual, and (3) ECU "smog ready" status.

NOW WHAT? :helpme:

Well, it's the moment of truth. If [email protected] can work his magic and get the car to "smog ready" status, then I will most likely pass SMOG with flying colors. This will open the flood gates in CA for TPC, especially for all the owners on the fence but have not pulled the trigger because of the dreaded smog test. My car will once again happily be the guinea pig as the first CA car, first 91 octane car, and hopefully soon, first CA car to pass smog.

THE ALTERNATIVE?

If TPC can't get my car to be "smog ready," whether permanently or temporarily through their flash loader, then my car will officially be up for sale to a good home in another state. Not too many options to replace my mid-engine, RWD, 450+hp sports car < $100k...

I'll be happy to stick around and answer any questions about my 6-speed Silver/Black, 50k+ mile daily driver with the last 30k being turbo charged.

It's the moment of truth... with my fingers crossed.

Wish me luck! :thanks:

UPDATE 6/1 - [email protected] requested that I send in my ECU for modification. I'm going to get in touch with Mike on the phone to discuss details, find a temporary car to drive, then will send the ECU cross country to see what TPC can do to help.

UPDATE 6/3 - [email protected] confirmed that a software update could be made to turn on the necessary readiness bits. I've removed the ECU and will send it out on Monday. FrankinCayman and Tach Miami both confirmed that their Durametric readings both show Oxygen Sensors as failing the Ready Status. HOWEVER, diverdog reported that his Ready Status screen shows everything as "Pass." Need to find out if diverdog is running a different software version, or if the three of us all have failed O2 sensors????

·
Registered
515 Posts
I too will have this issue shortly, as I will have to get a smog test soon as well :-(

Mike and guys, Please help fix this....

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,593 Posts
I think you are wrong about disabling the O2 sensors. Can you share the results of the ready status?

To pass emissions in any state that does a plug in test you have to show ready on the OBD status. A TPC car will be abe to pass this test. The O2 sensors are necessary for proper engine operation. In fact if you are showing not ready for O2 you are not operating in closed loop and will be down 30-50 HP.

One thing that is done for catless headers is to reduce the after cat signals so they won't screw up the DME response.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
More good news: the technician was unable to locate my engine after checking the front boot and the rear deck. So much for the visual inspection.
Unfortunately, this good news is based on the technicians ignorance. You would not have progressed to the next stage if he had known where the engine is.

I will be surprised if TPC comes through here, unless they have a simple fix. In the past they haven't shown much interest in doing what it takes to get the turbo kit to be legal in California before. Undoubtedly it is too expensive to make it legal.

Good luck.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,593 Posts
Certifying is one thing, passing is another. Passing OBD ready is easy, passing sniffer is easy, visual is not easy unless the tech is ignorant or lazy.

Certifying is a very expensive and time consuming process for such a small number of cars

·
Registered
155 Posts
When a small business from Maryland find's another state's regulations too burdensome, that's really telling you something.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Our O2 sensors are disabled by TPC?!! Are you sure?

I don't think so... but I'm curios to learn about this as I'm sure if so the ECU won't be able to run the engine properly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not sure what "smog ready" status is. Are you talking about readiness codes? You can fail up to two IIRC - unless something has changed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, this good news is based on the technicians ignorance. You would not have progressed to the next stage if he had known where the engine is.

I will be surprised if TPC comes through here, unless they have a simple fix. In the past they haven't shown much interest in doing what it takes to get the turbo kit to be legal in California before. Undoubtedly it is too expensive to make it legal.

Good luck.
Thanks Rob. Yes, I am well aware that a lot of luck is involved in me passing visual. That being said, I am hopeful that TPC will come through with a solution and show their commitment to post-sale customer support.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what "smog ready" status is. Are you talking about readiness codes? You can fail up to two IIRC - unless something has changed.
Hi rastta,

Yes, you are right, I said "smog ready" but I was referring to the readiness code.

Below is the result of my smog test. Notice that the car passed everything except for the ECU self test, aka readiness codes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Certifying is one thing, passing is another. Passing OBD ready is easy, passing sniffer is easy, visual is not easy unless the tech is ignorant or lazy.

Certifying is a very expensive and time consuming process for such a small number of cars

You're right. I'm looking to pass. Hope you're right about passing OBD ready = )

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you are wrong about disabling the O2 sensors. Can you share the results of the ready status?

To pass emissions in any state that does a plug in test you have to show ready on the OBD status. A TPC car will be abe to pass this test. The O2 sensors are necessary for proper engine operation. In fact if you are showing not ready for O2 you are not operating in closed loop and will be down 30-50 HP.

One thing that is done for catless headers is to reduce the after cat signals so they won't screw up the DME response.
diverdog,

you might be right. I meant obd readiness code. I updated my original post with the smog test result and the ready status through durametric. As you can see, the car passed all tests except for ODB readiness.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
If you have a stored code for something that failed what is the code? You could simply have a bad oxygen sensor that needs to be replaced. You could have a code totally unrelated to the TPC system that is causing you to fail.

With regard to the secondard O2 sensor it is VERY COMMON for them to fail tests because they cycle into a readiness state, if your car had not cycled into a ready state then your secondary O2 sensor would report a failure. This happens on completely stock cars, typically some driving around will get it to click over into the ready state, but it can take up to an hour in some circumstances.

I don't personally know how TPC handles the secondary O2 sensors with their ECU flash, but I'm pretty sure that Softronic puts theirs in a perpetual ready state that ignores readings from the sensor and thus won't trip a CEL for people with headers.

If you are failing on the secondary O2 sensor you need to find out if it is just a "stock" failure that Porsche's will have at times due to cycling, or if it is due to however TPC's programming sets the sensor, or something else like a bad sensor. I'd suggest talking to Durametric and see if they can diagnose which cause is behind the failure of the sensor to report ready. Once you know the actual cause then you can look at potential solutions.'

(EDIT - looking at durametric to me it looks like your cat efficiency passed which means the secondary o2 sensors were reporting values that were deemed OK, but that you have a bad O2 sensor, but again check with Durametric or take your car to your dealer and get it diagnosed on the PIWIS machine)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have a stored code for something that failed what is the code? You could simply have a bad oxygen sensor that needs to be replaced. You could have a code totally unrelated to the TPC system that is causing you to fail.

With regard to the secondard O2 sensor it is VERY COMMON for them to fail tests because they cycle into a readiness state, if your car had not cycled into a ready state then your secondary O2 sensor would report a failure. This happens on completely stock cars, typically some driving around will get it to click over into the ready state, but it can take up to an hour in some circumstances.

I don't personally know how TPC handles the secondary O2 sensors with their ECU flash, but I'm pretty sure that Softronic puts theirs in a perpetual ready state that ignores readings from the sensor and thus won't trip a CEL for people with headers.

If you are failing on the secondary O2 sensor you need to find out if it is just a "stock" failure that Porsche's will have at times due to cycling, or if it is due to however TPC's programming sets the sensor, or something else like a bad sensor. I'd suggest talking to Durametric and see if they can diagnose which cause is behind the failure of the sensor to report ready. Once you know the actual cause then you can look at potential solutions.'

(EDIT - looking at durametric to me it looks like your cat efficiency passed which means the secondary o2 sensors were reporting values that were deemed OK, but that you have a bad O2 sensor, but again check with Durametric or take your car to your dealer and get it diagnosed on the PIWIS machine)
K Man S,

I don't have any stored fault codes. It's unlikely that both tach miami and i both have faulty sensors, but i'll reach out to durametric to confirm on Monday.

Is there any other way to diagnose a faulty sensor versus a purposely disabled sensor through tuning?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts