Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a few threads on this, but no clear answer, and need some advice. Just moved to Cal from Florida, which had no emissions testing. In my INFINITE WISDOM, I removed the first set of cats that are inside the header. Have a CEL and code for converter efficiency. I know I can try to buy a set of used headers/cats and resolve the issue.

Does anyone know if any of the O2 sensor extenders, or mini-converters that fit between the sensor and the cable can get the car to pass? I installed a set of simple extenders, but the CEL is staying on, so obviously it doesn't likely clear on it's own. Is it possible I could have someone clear the code and it would stay off, or is my only alternative to replace the headers and get back to stock??

Thanks!!!!!!:helpme:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have a set of headers/converters they would sell at a reasonable price? I'd RENT them from you, if that works..... :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
lol. Don't think mine are unreasonably priced for relatively low mileage cats based on previous transactions :p

I could absorb part of the shipping if you are willing to wait for 6 to 8 weeks. Let me know via PM if interested. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zinger,
I don't think yours are unreasonably priced either. The freight and time is the challenge. Will get back to you on them soon.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
479 Posts
Make sure your smog tech knows to always disable the PSM when the car is on the dyno. And he will have to do it several times since the test involves stopping the car. You'll get a error code otherwise.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Zinger,
I don't think yours are unreasonably priced either. The freight and time is the challenge. Will get back to you on them soon.

Thanks,
Chris
haha cool. Just hoping recover some $$$ out of them and have them out of my tiny apartment. That's all.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Make sure your smog tech knows to always disable the PSM when the car is on the dyno. And he will have to do it several times since the test involves stopping the car. You'll get a error code otherwise.
Interesting. I always just ignored the error since it goes away after driving. Does a non-PASM car keep the code?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Two of the three errors (ABS, PSM, Check Engine) will clear with some driving.

The check engine needs a tool to be cleared. An active check engine error will auto-fail a smog test btw.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the input, and thanks to Zinger for great deal on the headers and cats. I installed them and the engine light went off after 2 days. I passed the smog test yesterday, with a recorded CEL, but no active CEL.

THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Two of the three errors (ABS, PSM, Check Engine) will clear with some driving.

The check engine needs a tool to be cleared. An active check engine error will auto-fail a smog test btw.
With the two SMOG I've done, I only got PASM fault/ABS. Both cleared without a tool and 2-3 min of driving. (Didn't see a PSM fault, only PASM)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks to all for the input, and thanks to Zinger for great deal on the headers and cats. I installed them and the engine light went off after 2 days. I passed the smog test yesterday, with a recorded CEL, but no active CEL.

THANKS!!!!
Congrats! Good stuff then. You could always swap back to the aftermarket cats after inspection hehehehe

these are ultralow mileage cats anyway. Seems like they only have 10,000miles on them. Previous owner seemed to have taken the cats out when the car's pretty new ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts