Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, out of the blue, my car gave a "max oil level exceeded for safe operation of the car", or words to that effect. It did clear itself after I restarted the car about an hour later.

No oil has been added for months. The car had been sitting for 2-3 hours. No previous alerts after I drained a pint of oil about 5 months ago.

Taking it to the dealer Friday and will post when I get an answer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've gotten a minimum oil level message 3 times since I got the car in June. I've just added half a quart each time. The dealer told me it happens when you "push the car". I have no idea but since im at 9,200mi, I'll make sure they'll look at the sensor when the 10,000 service comes.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, the good news is that the error message never left a trace in the computer. The tech and service manager figure it was a glitch of some sort. But found out some interesting info.
I have always had my oil level showing at the top acceptable point, not in the overfilled segment. When the tech hooked up his computer, the computer wanted to drain 1.4 Qts of oil out to get to an acceptable fill level. Keep in mind my display NEVER showed oil level in the last "overfilled" segment. When I asked the tech what was up with that, he gave me a sly grin and then explained Porsche's thinking on oil. When we look at the in car oil level display, if you look closely, there is a little triangle or arrow at the second segment up from the bottom. That is 100% filled. There is also a small triangle at the second segment from the top. That is 200% filled. Now, don't try and figure out why it only takes about 1 Qt to go from that lower triangle to the upper triangle, the tech and I couldn't make the math work but on his computer, the lower segment is 100% and the upper segment is 200%. According to him, this is Porsche's way of doing things and any level between that lower triangle and upper triangle is acceptable. Withe the computer wanting to drain oil and my 1 year point coming up in Dec. I decided to go ahead and do a full oil change. My car took about 8.25 Qts. to fill me up to the segment just below the full mark. In other words, my segment below the "full" mark is not lit up, and his computer indicated about 180%, acceptable because it is below 200%. And his computer indicated it would take 0.2 Qts. to fill to the 200% level. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had the OP's issue three times. Each time it cleared itself: 2 days later, then 3 hours, then 1/2 hour. Each time the dealer said there were no error codes so they couldn't find anything. The third time they changed the oil just to be sure there was the proper amount of oil in the engine - AT NO COST!! So as annoying as the problem is, a free oil changed is always good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For all the engines I care for, I try to be about mid-point or lower on dipsticks - metal or electronic. As long as I'm above the "add" mark, I'm happy. Whether this holds true when racing a car - I don't know. Perhaps being at full capacity then would make sense.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this is going to be how I do it going forward especially considering what I learned at the dealer. Doing that my car does take right around 8 Qts.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
If you drive the car aggressively, I think full is better (i.e., with just the one box showing overfill empty).

Reactions: CHRIST
1 - 9 of 9 Posts