Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

More weird sounds then your Ex!

Cayman S 
2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Autocutter 
#1 ·
Well the last couple of days have been strange with my 2007 CS. When the car is warm from a drive and turned off, pressing the clutch pedal causes rather loud squeaks in the rear of the car. However, when the car sits for a day without being driven, no sounds happen when pressing the clutch pedal. While I suspect a throw out bearing issue, shouldn't it make the noise all the time? I also noted a strange clutch slippage (even my wife felt it) going from 5th to 6th (at 65 MPH) which I haven't been able to reproduce it since

Even stranger, when starting the car after a long sit time, a rather loud squeaking sound is heard from the right rear side (closer to the side vent then the tail light) Sounds like a bad bearing, but the sound goes away after a few minutes - is it the water pump or alternator bearings making that sound? Had the serpentine belt changed a few months ago, so I guessing that was the trigger.

I suspect a rather large service bill is headed my way as I dropping the car off at the dealership next week!

#2 · (Edited)
Even more strange-started up the car this morning and no strange sounds at all, plus the oil reading showed to be spot on the top mark. Yesterday morning, the oil was down to the first mark-very same scenario as today; same outside temperature, engine had yet to be started. I beginning to think the car is slowly going crazy!

Going to Total Wine this afternoon - I'll see if the clutch is squeaking when I return home-this whole thing is throwing me for a loop!

**********Just got back and, yes, pressing the clutch pedal again causes the rear squeak. Seems that normal operating temperature is the trigger. Will check in the morning to hear if the squeak is still there at cold temperature!

#3 ·
Please let me know if you find anything, My 2007 CS is doing the exact same thing with the Clutch and warm motor, ironically, I had my Oil cooler replaced due to a crack and after the dealership finished the repair and cleaning the engine (oil in coolant) that is when I first heard the squeak... They claim it is a coincidence.

#5 ·
The dealer stated that they found nothing wrong, but stated they topped off the oil; the level reads correctly now. Anyway with the clutch, the squeak seems to have gone away, the last time I drove it was just a short drive whereas it seems that longer drives produce the noise. Tomorrow, we are going for a long drive; I'll test it out when we get back and report back. I don't drive it much anymore because of back problems; 19" wheels on a CS1 can be a bit too firm on an old man's back!

#6 ·
Mine is silent when the engine is cold, but after it warms up and after being shutoff you can hear the squeak when you engage or disengage the clutch, the dealership mentioned dropping the transmission and all of that jazz, but it seems like you would want to eliminate the simple things first? Guess they cannot grease any of the joints with out the transmission being down?

Anyway, with that other loud squeaking noise you are hearing, it could very well be your water pump going out, thats what mine started to do before going out. Come to find out it is good to replace them every 6 years or so anyway. Good luck with everything.

#7 ·
Well back from the long drive, and the pushing in the clutch with the engine off is again producing the loud squeak! It does sound external rather than internal because of the noise level (actually sounds it is coming from the right side.) The dealership had told me there was nothing they could lube and they would have to drop the transmission to continue to trouble shoot. Go figure!

#9 ·
I had that squeak for most of the life of my 08 CS. It was internal to the trans. I took it to the dealer while under warranty and they ended up blowing me off say we'd have to drop the trans. and I never pursued it. At around 87k something broke and the clutch would not disengage. The trans is out right now waiting for parts and better weather.

#10 ·
As near as I can figure out by looking at the Forum's parts PDF & Pelican Parts, there can only be three points for the squeak. The first is the throw out bearing. The second would be the throw out bearing lever & it's pivot points. The third would the pressure splines. What bothers me the engine has to be thoroughly hot to produce the squeak which to me is that something must be expanding. Go figure!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.