Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from the leather experts here. I've been told, and have done some research to confirm, that with the leather in my Boxster, which isn't the premium analine stuff, I should be using a water-based conditioner rather than an oil-based conditioner.

My previous car had analine leather and I really liked the feel and smell of the Mothers conditioner I used on it. That stuff came in a bottle.

So for my Boxster, I bought Mothers stuff again. This time it comes in a jar. It's this stuff: Mothers® Leather Cream Moisture-Rich Conditioner

The problem is that I bought it before learning all this about water vs. oil and what not and now I can't seem to find any information telling me which this stuff is.

Can you guys help? Is this stuff good to use? I've got a full-leather two-tone Black/Luxor interior so I'd expect to be using it just about everywhere.

As an aside, it's my impression that the cleaner you use isn't as important. I bought Mothers leather cleaner as well and expect that'll be just fine. Please chime in if that's a mistake as well. :)

Thanks guys!! If this stuff isn't good to use, I suppose I can save it for my Jeep and furniture around the house. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi Weasel,

I don't have much info on that particular conditioner, but you are correct about Leather cleaners. Pretty much anything is good.

For general maintenance, here is my regiment:

-Weekly basis I will use a Swiffer refill pad to cling off any light dust particles. I will wipe down areas where bare skin is likely to contact with a warm moist microfiber cloth. The act of using water will hydrate the seats.
-Monthly or semi annually I will use a non-aggressive cleaner. Many different options for this, I been told foam based cleaners are a bit better on our perforated seats. But anything works. Heck even if a quick detailer or diluted rinseless wash would work. I personally went with Leather Master for cleaner/conditioner
-If your leather doesn't have UV protection yet, I would look into getting a product specifically for that. You are trying to maintain the protective coating on the leather, not the leather itself. Optimum Protectant Plus or Aerospace 303 is a good one.

Since our last discussion, I found a great site with many useful tips/info:

Leather Car Seats should be your first must read from the Expert

Unfortunately I am not much help about your particular conditioner. I ended up using trustworthy brands of Lexol and Wolfgang that I have to my leather jackets and furniture.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I think I've got the info I need about what I'm looking for. I just can't seem to find out if this Mothers stuff fits the bill. :)

I've got a California Dash Duster that I've had for years and years that does a great job of dusting off the surfaces prior to any further action. Always done a great job.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
The guy that owns this web site has a few dozen videos about all phases of auto detailing on Youtube. He is a little long winded and most of his videos are on the long side but it is a good place to go if you want to brush up on your detailing skills and products.
They all seem really long winded lol. Even the Ammo NYC guy has great tips, but they over explain to ad nausea.

Weasel, if you can't find a suitable response you can try spot testing on your furniture or clothing. Apply the conditioner on an area, see if it absorbs. If the surface remains oily/greasy then I probably wouldn't use it on your car. It would only attract dust.

·
Registered
737 Posts
So I wonder if I can use the Autoglym Leather Conditioner in the 981. It doesn't specify anwhere which type of leather it's for, only that it's "pH" balanced, which suggests to me it should be safe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts