Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I flushed my brakes today using the Motiv Power Bleeder and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone out there can answer:
1) Is it normal to have to re-pressurize the Motiv after flushing each caliper? I find that mine gradually loses pressure and after about 5-8min goes down from 12psi to about 5-6. I started pumping it up to 12 because by the time I get back to the caliper to loosen the nut I figure it is already back down to about 10. I've checked all the connectors and as far as I can tell everything is tight.
2) How much fluid should be used for a flush? I'm just using ATE Gold, so I have to guess when the new fluid is coming through. I ended up using about 4/5 of a liter after flushing.

This is a car that gets tracked about once a month so I will be bleeding/flushing often.

cheers,
Don

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
If you are not bleeding the car it should not loose pressure unless one of the seals is bad. The seal beetween the top of the plastic bottle and the fitting for the hose or the one from the hose to the top of your brake fluid reservoir.

I do not like to go over 8 to 10lbs/in2. The more pressure the more moisture you can drive into the fluid from the ambient. (if you realy want to know google partial pressures and you can go to town) I live in a very hummid climate.

I do not like to put fluids in the motiv reservoir because I don't want to clean it. So I stop and refill the car reservoir every so often. As you use fluid from the reservoir the pressure will come down.

Flushing means replacing all the fluid in the system. (I rather add information you most likely know) For that about 1/2 litter is about right. Normally I put a little more to be safe. Remember to start from the rear passenger side caliper (further away from the reservoir). I also bleed after every event.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It seems you're doing it correctly. I used one container (1 L.) of ATE superblue. I also flushed the clutch slave cylinder.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
It seems you're doing it correctly. I used one container (1 L.) of ATE superblue. I also flushed the clutch slave cylinder.
Where is the clutch slave cylinder located?

I thought that the brakes and clutch shared the same reservoir. Is there a separate cylinder to flush for the clutch? Obviously there is, or you would not have mentioned it.

Thanks,

Bret

·
Registered
465 Posts
on top of the transmission, from the left side you can access the bleeder screw. I have a lift so had no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts