Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
A lot of Boxsters are now being built in Germany, using the extra capacity from the cut-back in production there. Last I had heard, Caymans were still only produced in Finland. Caymans have always been assembled in Finland where many of the early Boxsters, and even some recent very customized Boxsters have been built in Germany.

brad

·
Registered
235 Posts
A few weeks ago I watched a National Geographic program about Porsche (it's part of a series where top manufacturers are spotlighted) and they said, and showed, Boxsters being built on the same line as 911s. No Caymans in sight though.
BW

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
just another rumor from a dubious source. The Porsche world is full of 'em.

·
Registered
159 Posts
According to an anrticle in Panorama the Boxsters have been made in Germany since Mar of 09 because it was cheaper to pay Vlamet not to make them and not ship parts and engins from Stuttgart to Finland for assembly.

·
Registered
501 Posts
According to an anrticle in Panorama the Boxsters have been made in Germany since Mar of 09 because it was cheaper to pay Vlamet not to make them and not ship parts and engins from Stuttgart to Finland for assembly.
Anecdotal, but mine was built in June, and VIN has S for Stuttgart. I would guess all the 2010 Boxsters will be from Stuttgart from what I've read on the "interwebs", since the first batch of 2010 production began in June.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Karmann Cayman anyone.Sounds like a juice bar stripper's name:hilarious:I hope that they are able to keep the quality and product evolving in the Boxster/Cayman line-up.and that they do not use this change as an excuse to change the Caymans heritage,,,,

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Would the owners of recently delivered 2010 Caymans please report whether your VIN# has a "U" or "S" in it please. That would solve the question as for currently delivered cars anyway...
I got a "U".

·
Registered
111 Posts
My June 09 Boxster S has an S in the VIN. Dealer said all Boxsters would now be built at the Stuttgart plant. Don't know about the Cayman but it seems strange to split the production given the shared parts.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
"U" on mine as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts