Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!

Which do you take more, motorcycle or Porsche?

• Motorcycle over Porsche most of the time

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Porsche over motorcycle most of the time

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Probably 50/50

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • I'm too old for that...

Votes: 25 42.4%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread back in 2006 and didn't feel live reviving it.

A month ago, I bought myself a Ducati, one of our sister companies (not for long?), and have been riding it on the weekends. My bike seems to be more of a nice weather joy rider and the Cayman is more of a bad weather/need to carry stuff joy rider.

Do you guys have motorcycles too? The weather in CA has been crazy hot this past week so I've been driving my car a little more.

I made a poll... hopefully it works

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've had a couple bikes. I couldn't justify owning one once I bought the cayman. I never rode them before I got a Cayman so there was no way I'd find enough time afterwards. For me, it was quite frankly too dangerous and I know too many people with too many serious injuries from motorcycles. My other reason is the weather is never right! I live in Ohio and it's either too hot or too cold. They're super fun but my health/comfort is more important. With that being said i'll probably buy another one someday and use it for some quick trips.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a bunch of sport bike in the past, switched to a FZ-07, but just sold it recently because I was moving. I'm looking at getting a FJ-09 now, I can't do that constant tucked position anymore. Nothing beats riding 2-wheels but as I get older I find myself leaning more towards the safety of a car.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Had bikes in the past, first vehicles I ever bought for myself and drove them exclusively for many years in my youth including a x/c trip in 1978. Due to physical issues and the fact local drivers are more numerous and dangerous I will never have another. They were a great joy, more apt to hop on a bike for a quick trip to nowhere than the Cayman, but I do love my croc. I still remember the sound and feel of my BMW and have always regretted having to sell it as I needed a car and couldn't afford both at that distant time.

Attachments

Reactions: Quasimoto

·
Registered
607 Posts
Re: Motorcycles & Cars

I remember when I got my first bike the sales guy gave me a great piece of advice. He said everyone who rides will eventually have an accident, whether or not it would be serious would be whether or not the driver was driving like a fool at the time, don't drive like a fool. Guess that is good advice for anyone in any vehicle, but on a bike you are much more exposed to serious injury.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Attachments

·
Incurable Gearhead
1,007 Posts

56 yo and've been a rider since early childhood. Currently 8 motos between my wife & I, including a couple of special ones in the living room. So yea, we're ate up with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts

I had dirtbikes through college, then switched to street bikes (1999 Katana 750/2000 GSX-R 750/2004 ZX-6R/2006 GSX-R750) for about a decade. That ended on my 15th or so trackday when I lowsided and then was run over by the bike behind me, my bike was fine his was not as it flipped, but he was fine. I suffered a collapsed lung and multiple broken ribs, but fully recovered after about 2-months, missed 1 day of work to go to the doctor. I haven't ridden since then as my wife said if I ever had an accident that was it. 7 years later I bought a 981 BS and it's about as close to a sportbike as you can get, I don't see myself ever riding again so long as I live in the DMV area.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Congrats on the Hypermotard, 9Eight7! I've owned a 1098S Tricolore, Hypermotard S and Panigale R over the years in addition to numerous Japanese racebikes, but I honestly prefer the Cayman GTS for canyon strafing.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Here are my two RS's. Really wish I still had the '73

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts

Quit riding when I was around 40. At 64 I still think about it but I have a leg full of metal and screws so I know better. Never can tell when that left knee is going to collapse on me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hello iiagdtr,
I agree with you about riding Bimmers. That is a great picture of your gold RS. My first BMW was a 1977 R75/7 and last was a 1991 K 75. I rode for 28 years and stopped riding when I purchased our Cayman. I really enjoyed riding up Angeles Crest Hwy above LA.
However, the Cayman is a blast to drive on the Crest.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Should have been a been a multi-choice poll so I too could have selected "too old for that" as well as Porsche over M/C. Only ever owned 2 M/C, a 1977 Yamaha XS750 replaced by a 2013 BMW C600 Sport. Both were advanced/odd for their day.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are some great pics and stories in this thread! I'm not sure if I'll ever give up riding. My dad is in his late 50's and loves his motorcycle to death. Hopefully I'll be in good health just as he is.

I've only been to the track as a passenger (in a car) and have been itching to go lately. Now that I have they Hyper, I'm more tempted in taking that as it would be significantly less to repair if something were to happen. My last bike was an R6 which was extremely taxing on my lower back. I didn't think I could manage it at the track so I sold it and considered myself "way too old for that" :hilarious:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Was 13 years old in the summer of '69 when a big hailstorm came thru town that required most to put on a new roof. Made enough money roofing to buy my first motorcycle, a Suzuki TS 90, a two-stroke enduro. In the last 47 years have always owned a bike, mostly big street bikes like Suzuki GS 1100s, 1150s, Honda Hurricane 1000, then a V-Max. 20 years ago I decided to slow down, got financially secure enough to buy my first Harley, a 1997 softail custom. Have owned 6 different Harleys currently on this 2016 Street Glide. It suits me perfectly, NAV, interlinked ABS, cruise, stereo, drive by wire, black and chrome :)

Driving a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving my Porsche, but it's also more fun. Worth the risk to me, but have completed multiple MSF safety courses and drive like my life depends on it ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 85 and currently have a vintage '79 R65 BMW, and a near new 2015 Moto Guzzi V7. Been a long time since I've posted pictures so don't know if I remember how to do that. I favored vintage British iron until my knees go so bad I had to go to electric start. I raced a 1965 BSA in vintage motocross about 10 years ago but quit because my knees wouldn't allow me to stand up on the pegs when I needed to. I no longer do any long rides, but am fortunate to live on an island with little traffic and lots of nice twisty back roads. I guess I'll continue to ride until I can no longer hold a bike up.

Norm

Attempting to add photos.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Cobalt blue

·
Registered
537 Posts
My first Porsche was a Boxster. Because it was a convertible, I sold my motorcycle. BIG mistake. FOOLISHLY I thought the experience of the top down in a Boxster would come somewhat close to riding a bike, plus be a whole lot safer. If ya want the open-air, wind-in-your-face experience, ya gotta be on a motorcycle. So I sold the Boxster, bought a 2015 Indian Scout and a Cayman S. Now I've got all bases covered.

Unless you're drooling and forgot how to use a spoon, you're not too old to ride a motorcycle!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Convertible Sports car

John,
You have a gorgeous Boxster. Went to your website and saw more photos... stunning pictures. Well done!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.