Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently I have a reasonably well equipped RED 2007 Cayman S...most things are nice except...for business/safe driving it should be iphone/bluetooth friendly, and Red attracts the cops....and the S version sits pretty low, it has 30K miles and is CPO for 100000 miles....I am tempted to get 09, with NAV (std bluetooth seems pretty lame)...different color and likely would seek auto temp control....am I crazy?....Do Canadian handless phone deal really work...any advice would be appreciated....this was my first Porsche...

·
Registered
175 Posts
In a word YES you are crazy. You are trading a racehorse for a pony. Drive the non S before you commit. just my opinion, I may be wrong. Spend about 2k for a professionally installed kenwood double din stereo with nav, backup camera, bluetooth, ipod, hd radio instead. As far as the red, sports cars are supposed to be red.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Although now is the time to act; while there are some 2009's still available at pretty fair prices.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an '09 CS, but have driven a non-S model and I think it depends a lot on your driving.

If I could afford it, I'd drive a non-S Cayman everyday and keep the S for track events and sportier weekend driving.

People forget how good even the basic Boxster/Cayman are, compared to most other cars on the market. For everyday driving, starting with a non-S leaves you $$ room to add comfort/convenience options that you'd want for normal use.

Still look great, drive great, feel great...

However, it is true that a lot of the aftermarket electronics are probably better than some of the things Porsche provides - they do engines, brakes and handling best; sound systems, not so much...:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well when younger had a Red Ferrari...very nice, very attractive to police...but getting to the real point...iphone/bluetooth/ipod and perhaps NAV...the challenge in doing this right is how to get around "MOST" fiber on the 2007 Cayman S in such a fashion that won't hurt my CPO warranty....and have everything work....do you have the answer

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
For what it is worth. I had an '08 Cayman S and enjoyed it great car, clutch with the manual was rather soft and vague (I was also driving an GT3 and tracking a '83 SC for comparison) I now have a 2010 base Cayman on order and that was by design. It is basically stripped except performance options like LSD, PASM, PDK and SC plus sport bucket seats. Plan to track and autocross it and a base car is in a more competitive class. While the base Cayman does not have the DFI engine and quite the power of the "S" it does have a new 2.9 engine with 265 hp and the improved oiling system like the new "S" The brakes are better than the first generation base car ( almost identical to the "S") and PDK, well after tracking a Carrera and Carrera S with PDK it IS THE WAY TO GO. Much smoother and quicker shifting than the manual , not threat of mechanical over rev on the track and when combined with the sport Chrono (SC) it is a blast. Bottom line while the "S" is a great horse the base car has grown to more than a pony. Oh yest I did get bluetooth and will use a portable nav unit. That said if I was not focused on reducing weight the Porsche factory nav is the best of any brand very user friendly

·
Registered
115 Posts
I drive my '09 2.9 liter Cayman daily. It has Bluetooth and the CDR30, etc. The Bluetooth works flawlessly, but the trick is to find a phone that is compatible with it. I found an AT&T rep that was very helpful, and she spent an hour working with me in the car. Stereo is lousy at lower volumes, but gets better as one turns it up, and the speakers get broken in a bit.
As far as power goes, the 2.9/6 speed trans combo is very good in traffic and when you get the rpm's up it cooks. Go drive one and decide for yourself if you think you should trade. I think you'll really like the 2.9........

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As to phone, its an iphone....my concern with the CDR 30, from what I can tell, is that it doesn't do a good job with "contacts"....apparently it is limited to 100 and they are entered one by one....unlike the NAV unit which dumps them all in...

·
Registered
115 Posts
As to phone, its an iphone....my concern with the CDR 30, from what I can tell, is that it doesn't do a good job with "contacts"....apparently it is limited to 100 and they are entered one by one....unlike the NAV unit which dumps them all in...
Not in my case. We downloaded all my contacts at once.....if I recall I have about 60. Go to the Porsche website and you can find a list of compatible cell phones with the CDR30, albeit an old list....but it is a starting point. We found 2 phones that linked for me: An LG and a Nokia. There may have been ohers, but I do not need a multi-tasking device like a Blackberry or iPhone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
with the CDR 30 do you see who is calling....
how did he get the contacts into the car?, perhaps it would work for me

·
Registered
115 Posts
with the CDR 30 do you see who is calling....
how did he get the contacts into the car?, perhaps it would work for me
Usually, the thing startles me enough that I merely hit the answer button on the dash without looking at the screen! If I do look at the screen, I'll see the number calling me and the name of the caller if the contact is in my list. If not, all I get is a number.
SHE and I sat in the car and first established the Bluetooth link with the CDR30 and merely followed the directions in the Porsche manual...very simple. You might do a search on the subject. As I recall, the iPhone was not compatible with the CDR30....at least the older ones were not. Not sure if they were compatible with the other Porsche system. On the bright side, Porsche may have a download upgrade to assure a link.....they are slow to accomodate in this area. I think they see Bluetooth as they do the need for cupholders....bah!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not in my case. We downloaded all my contacts at once.....if I recall I have about 60. Go to the Porsche website and you can find a list of compatible cell phones with the CDR30, albeit an old list....but it is a starting point. We found 2 phones that linked for me: An LG and a Nokia. There may have been ohers, but I do not need a multi-tasking device like a Blackberry or iPhone.
I have a new 2009 Cayenne with the CRD 30 and I have it showing my call logs and works really well. However, I cannot get my contact list in. Apparently iPhone does not allow you to bluetooth the contact list I have had the porsche dealer try as well Apple. Does anyone have any suggestions for a work around to make this happen?

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Presently I have a reasonably well equipped RED 2007 Cayman S...most things are nice except...for business/safe driving it should be iphone/bluetooth friendly, and Red attracts the cops....and the S version sits pretty low, it has 30K miles and is CPO for 100000 miles....I am tempted to get 09, with NAV (std bluetooth seems pretty lame)...different color and likely would seek auto temp control....am I crazy?....Do Canadian handless phone deal really work...any advice would be appreciated....this was my first Porsche...
I would not get the Canada phone thing. I bought one and may use it for a longer trip but I found that it takes a long time to hook the thing together if you're not planning a call or going on a short trip. The one call I made using it caused the other person to tell me I wasn't coming through well. It's all a bit fussy.

Might be smarter to just buy one of those handsfree things you stick in your ear. Get a good one and you'll be surprised at the quality. Just don't forget to remove it when you leave the car or you'll look like my Cyborg accountant.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
One of the US magazines got a 0-60 of 5.1 out of the 2.9 DFI Cayman so performance wise you will not be missing a huge amount between the old standard CS and a standard '09- non-S.....however the brakes I assume will still be better on the CS due to their size.

If it was me the new car would seem tempting, but overall a little pointless, and i'd stick with the CS and fit the dension gateway 500 and the bluetooth adaptor to get the handsfree....not only that but Guards Red is the best colour for the Cayman ;) and as for sitting a little lower, well it simply looks better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts