Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else moved from a 987.1 Cayman to a 981 Boxster? If so, do you have any regrets?

Here is the incoming Boxster...

2013 Porsche Boxster

03/2013
VIN:ice:ior:
Amaranth Red Metallic
Interior:
Partial leather sports seats in Luxor Beige
Warranty Start:
March 25, 2013

Additional Equipment
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Roadster Top in Black
Bi-Xenon
Light Design Package
Sport Chrono Package i.c.w. PCM
Power Steering Plus
SportDesign steering wheel
European Delivery - Zuffenhausen
Boxster S
Amaranth Red Metallic
Power Sport Seats (14-way)
Infotainment Package with BOSE
Premium Package
European Navigation on PCM
Partial leather sports seats in Luxor Beige

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't think so, but a whole bunch moved from 987.2 to a 981. :cheers:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Budman. Sorry, its a typo. It's not a new Porsche super secret model. ;)

Reactions: Budman

·
Registered
490 Posts
Has anyone else moved from a 987.1 Cayman to a 981 Boxster? If so, do you have any regrets?

We had a 987.1 (Base Boxster) and now have the 981 Base Boxster don't miss it one bit. I know you were asking about the Cayman to Boxster, but wanted to encourage the move.

The 981 is a very different machine.

I doubt you will regret the switch at all.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've driven the 987 on numerous occasions and even drove the Cayman R, you will not regret one bit. A lot of talk about electric steering being numb, blah, blah, 9 out of 10 people wouldn't even notice and if people didn't read about it, they couldn't tell the difference. Congrats, it's a nice build.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blessed,

Thanks for the info. The Boxster to Boxster comparison is helpful. Some of the concerns in making such a move are related to the generation (steering feel, size, power curve, etc.). In my 2 test drives of a similar options Boxster S, I got a short feel of the changes I would see. Its just hard to really get a feel in 30 minutes of driving, so input for more experienced folks is helpful.

Ynot,

Thanks for the Cayman comparison info. I could feel the steering difference in the 981, but if I hadn't read about it previously, I could have chalked it up to a difference in tires/rims. The 981 is smoother both in steering and suspension (compared to my 987 non-pasm). Part of the reason for the 987 to 981 change is that I would like a little smoother ride, as long I still have great responsiveness. It is a sports car, so if I have to chose, I would prefer the responsiveness. Hopefully the 981 will provide both.

I am happy about the build I found. It was challenging finding PDK, Chrono Sports Plus, and PASM all together in a color combination I wanted. I have had a few dark cars lately, and while they look great, I am tired of seeing dust accumulate 10 seconds after washing it. Also, I live in New Mexico, so a dark interior in a convertible (or most any car), can be painful.

It seems like almost every porsche has black outside, or a black inside. They look great, I just didn't them for my "summer" car. My SUV is black on black, so I've got my fill already.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Blessed,

Thanks for the info. The Boxster to Boxster comparison is helpful. Some of the concerns in making such a move are related to the generation (steering feel, size, power curve, etc.). In my 2 test drives of a similar options Boxster S, I got a short feel of the changes I would see. Its just hard to really get a feel in 30 minutes of driving, so input for more experienced folks is helpful.

Ynot,

Thanks for the Cayman comparison info. I could feel the steering difference in the 981, but if I hadn't read about it previously, I could have chalked it up to a difference in tires/rims. The 981 is smoother both in steering and suspension (compared to my 987 non-pasm). Part of the reason for the 987 to 981 change is that I would like a little smoother ride, as long I still have great responsiveness. It is a sports car, so if I have to chose, I would prefer the responsiveness. Hopefully the 981 will provide both.

I am happy about the build I found. It was challenging finding PDK, Chrono Sports Plus, and PASM all together in a color combination I wanted. I have had a few dark cars lately, and while they look great, I am tired of seeing dust accumulate 10 seconds after washing it. Also, I live in New Mexico, so a dark interior in a convertible (or most any car), can be painful.

It seems like almost every porsche has black outside, or a black inside. They look great, I just didn't them for my "summer" car. My SUV is black on black, so I've got my fill already.
Check out all the 981 Boxster reviews on youtube. There isn't one video I've seen that the car journalist prefer the 987 over the 981.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think you'll find the 981 even more refined than the 987 - significantly smoother ride and quieter. I wouldn't expect the visibility to be as good, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I've had a 987, a 987.2, a 981S and a 981. IMHO they all have great steering. Maybe the 981's steering is a little different but you will get used to it quickly.

Nobody asked but I have noticed more difference in wheel size than anything else. I've had 17", 18", 19" and 20" wheels. For handling and ride comfort I like 19" wheels.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't own a 981 but had an extended test drive in one. The biggest differences I noticed over my 987.1 were, over-boosted brakes, more refined but a slightly less sensation of speed, better ride quality and yes, I did notice a reduction in feedback from the steering but not enough to put me of purchasing one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was concerned about the wheel size, as my 981 will have the upgraded 20" Carrera Classic wheels. The 981 I test drove had 20" wheels, and it seemed fine, but 19" wheels could be better.

I figure if I want to swap someone for their 19" wheels later, it won't be a problem. ;)

For now, I am just eager to get the car. The paperwork is done, and the dealer is lining up the delivery truck. Can't they just Fedex it? :hilarious:

I've had a 987, a 987.2, a 981S and a 981. IMHO they all have great steering. Maybe the 981's steering is a little different but you will get used to it quickly.

Nobody asked but I have noticed more difference in wheel size than anything else. I've had 17", 18", 19" and 20" wheels. For handling and ride comfort I like 19" wheels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For now, I am just eager to get the car. The paperwork is done, and the dealer is lining up the delivery truck. Can't they just Fedex it? :hilarious:
Congratulations on the upgrade (I moved from a 987.2 to a 981 Cayman).

Waiting IS the hardest part ... When I purchased my 987.2 from a distant dealer it took nearly 3 weeks from completing the paperwork to receiving the car.
Perhaps the anticipation will make you appreciate the car even more once it arrives ... :cheers:

Looking forward to your impressions once you have the car in your garage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, Albuquerque is a great place for a convertible. Even though the days in the summer are way too hot, the mornings are really nice. Of course we get lots of good days in the Spring and Fall. We even get some nice days in the winter. :dance:

You now have a convertible. That's the only big difference, really.
You might find out that New Mexico is somewhat too hot in summer for driving top down. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts