Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car on Thursday, and learning more about it. Apart from a lot of fun driving in the rainy weekend, noticed one thing that surprised me today.

While coming out of 'park' on a decline, there is significant resistance shifting out of 'park' (like to drive). There is a significant audible sound that comes when doing so. Almost like having to force it. This is my first automatic (PDK) car, so not sure if this always happens.

Have any of you guys noticed such an issue? Anything recommended in this case?

Thanks.

Btw. Will post pcs of the car after post rain wash.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have noticed that there is a slight resistance in the PDK lever sometimes that appears to depend on in which position the gears (or whatever there is in there that moves :p ) end up in when parking. It's usually happens on a slight decline.

I suppose this has to do with the PDK having a purely mechanical connection between the wheels and the gearbox, there is no torque converter or anything smoothing things out. If gears (or rather splines) doesn't line up properly, it's hardly surprising that there is a slight resistance.

That being said, I haven't experienced that I have to "force" it, just a feeling that there is something mechanical that needs to become aligned when the lever is moved.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Got my car on Thursday, and learning more about it. Apart from a lot of fun driving in the rainy weekend, noticed one thing that surprised me today.

While coming out of 'park' on a decline, there is significant resistance shifting out of 'park' (like to drive). There is a significant audible sound that comes when doing so. Almost like having to force it. This is my first automatic (PDK) car, so not sure if this always happens.

Have any of you guys noticed such an issue? Anything recommended in this case?

Thanks.

Btw. Will post pcs of the car after post rain wash.
Try applying the electronic handbrake on hills, let the car settle, and then engage park. This stops the strain on the transmission in park.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Note that this should be done for ALL automatics, not just double-clutch fancy ones like PDK. It's actually possible to get a car STUCK on a hill if you don't do this. You can lock the tranny right up and need to actually push the car slightly up the hill to allow it to shift. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
+1 Always apply the e-brake on hills before putting the vehicle in park.
It's best if you stop, keep your foot on the brake, put it in neutral, then put the e-brake on, then let off the brake pedal, then let it settle (it may roll an inch or two into the brake), and only then, after it is settled against the e-brake, put it in park - that way 100% of the strain from the hill is on the brake and none on the transmission.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
I test drove Santosh's car and compared it to mine. Mine also does make a sound under these circumstances, although his is about 20% louder. But then I have 7300 miles while you have 400 miles.

I think it is normal for the reasons stated above and can be avoided by using the handbrake first to keep the stress off the gears.

PS: We also took some pictures... will post them later. Great car if I may say so ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for info guys - wow! little did I know there were complicated procedures with automatics. ;-)

Btw. I am curious does doing something like this action do any damage to the transmission? I am guessing not, but hey newbie to automatics, so what do I know. Would have assumed that this is in the manual etc. etc. if Yes.

·
Registered
832 Posts
In older style automatics moving the lever from Park with any resistance would over time wear out the Park pawl. Then the tranny would come out of Park under some bit of load. If the parking brake was not set the car could roll from its parking spot.

Never having owned a PDK equipped car I can't say what the proper procedure is but you need to find one that requires as little effort as possible to move the shift lever into Park and as little effort as possible to move the shift lever from Park.

Even in my manual tranmission equipped cars I bring the car to a stop. Apply the parking brake. Then shift the tranny into gear.

When it comes time to shift from gear into neutral there is very little resistance to moving the lever. A few times I fail to apply the parking brake enough and when I go to move the shifter there is considerable resistance so I know the gears are loaded vs. the brake taking the load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts