Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In general use I find I use the Sport Button quite a lot but it's really annoying that it's down near the gear lever where you have to take your eye off the road to find it. A much better solution would be a button near the steering column like the 918 - easy to access and without taking your eyes off the road.
The panel beside the gear lever with all the buttons connects to the Canbus system, so it's not as simple as taking the button wiring and moving it to a "bracket" on the steering column - there a printed circuit board under these buttons.
So the question is how to do it? Has anyone tried adding something like an extra electrical switch and do you have to hack the canbus wiring? I've searched the web without success and there seems to be no aftermarket solution (I'm a bit surprised by that - am I the only one annoyed by the button placement?)
Any solutions out there?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Firstly, you don't need to look at the button. The buttons are nicely layed out with a ridge on them so make a note of which it is (4th from the back?) and then you can do it by feel. If you need some confirmation that you did it right... there's a display below the tach that tells you.

Really though... why are you using it so much? Why keep switching back and forth? If you want sport mode, leave it in sport mode. :)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
So the question is how to do it? Has anyone tried adding something like an extra electrical switch and do you have to hack the canbus wiring? I've searched the web without success and there seems to be no aftermarket solution (I'm a bit surprised by that - am I the only one annoyed by the button placement?)
Any solutions out there?
I have not seen any other solutions but then I haven't been looking for one. I realize that this is frustrating to you but it is not something I have ever thought about. Always start out in "normal" and then go to "sport" once warmed up and if I really want to play I jump to "sport+" -- so if I were going to go to some sort of button near the steering column then I would need one for "sport" AND "sport+". Sorry I can't be more help but guess I am on of those people not annoyed by the button placement :)

Good luck in your quest --- I do understand how having something be just "not quite" how you like it can be very frustrating .... I know I have spend time trying to solve something that doesn't seem to bother anyone else.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
In general use I find I use the Sport Button quite a lot but it's really annoying that it's down near the gear lever where you have to take your eye off the road to find it.
I have a simple solution. I turn on the ignition and I punch the Sport Button. Problem solved. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I asked my doctor to surgically relocate my "man parts" to the back of my left arm so I wouldn't have to reach so far to scratch them, but he told me that would be just as ridiculous as relocating the Sport button to the steering wheel. In retrospect, I think he gave me good advice and I left them where they were.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I asked my doctor to surgically relocate my "man parts" to the back of my left arm so I wouldn't have to reach so far to scratch them, but he told me that would be just as ridiculous as relocating the Sport button to the steering wheel. In retrospect, I think he gave me good advice and I left them where they were.

I don't think you've thought this through. How would you scratch them if your right arm is predisposed??? You'd have eliminated half your scratching options!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
In general use I find I use the Sport Button quite a lot but it's really annoying that it's down near the gear lever where you have to take your eye off the road to find it. A much better solution would be a button near the steering column like the 918 - easy to access and without taking your eyes off the road.
The panel beside the gear lever with all the buttons connects to the Canbus system, so it's not as simple as taking the button wiring and moving it to a "bracket" on the steering column - there a printed circuit board under these buttons.
Any solutions out there?
The solution is buy a new 911. See Car & Driver article. " The drive-mode selector for the costly Sport Chrono package moves to the steering wheel."

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I still see sport button in usual place.

And I don't buy those square 4 dayrunning lights at all on 911. Looks weird and non-Porsche. I don't know why they think formula "don't change anything" worked for 50 years (except ugly 2000's lights), and now they have to change things again. 911 has round head lights. There is no place for squares there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

New 911 revealed in September in Frankfurt has this on the steering column. Even Porsche think it's a good idea - retrofit anyone?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
When I configured my car, I spent several hundred dollars extra for the Sport Design Wheel to specifically get all the annoying buttons off the wheel (and am really glad I did). To each his own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts