Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are moving to Seoul this summer. I'm wondering if I should bring my Cayman S...

Are there any other fellow members over in Seoul who might be able to give me the inside track??

Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
My wife and I are moving to Seoul this summer. I'm wondering if I should bring my Cayman S...

Are there any other fellow members over in Seoul who might be able to give me the inside track??

Thanks!
During my numerous recent trips to Seoul, I've seen a fair number of Porsches--911s, Panameras, Cayennes, and Boxsters. I don't recall seeing Cayman though. I am quite certain you will have fun driving Cayman around the streets in Seoul, but a lot of patience is required. There are some beautiful mountain roads, and all the traffic radar locations are stored in local GPS devices. Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've spent some time in Korea, wouldn't recommend taking a car. Public transport system is excellent, and the drivers there are HORRIBLE! They turn a two lane road into six, roads are heavily congested, and right of way... Let's just say, give way to the larger vehicle or else.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I taught English conversation in the RSK for a year and would go into Seoul on the weekends so I had something to do. Here are my observations for what they're worth.
Seoul is the most sophisticated city in SK and pretty much has everything you could want except driving. Public transport is excellent and you will get where you want to go using it a long, long time before you would driving a car. Traffic congestion is horrific and the laws governing traffic violations, especially DUI, are much harsher than ours and, once you get to know some Koreans, you will be doing a lot of drinking as that seems to be the national pastime.
Parking in Seoul is risky at best and if you worry about your car you will not be able to enjoy what you're doing thinking about what may be happening to your car.
There are decent to good roads in SK but getting out of Seoul to enjoy them is chaos.
I was never tempted to buy a car when I was there as the public transport is cheap, in excellent condition and on time.:cheers:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess it depends on what you would like to do in Seoul. If you plan on spending most of your time in Seoul working long hours, it will be a lot cheaper and more convenient to take subways, buses, and cabs instead of driving your Cayman. Plan on walking a lot though, changing subway stations going up and down stairs. I used to get 8-10K steps easily whenever I was in Seoul.

If you want to tour the country during weekends, it is nice to have your own car. While parking in general is a challenge, most high-end restaurants, hotels, and shopping malls have valet services for parking. Many places park Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, and Audi R8's in front to show off their clientele. I am also assuming your company and apartment will provide parking. You just need to learn to travel during off-peak hours.

Whenever I was in Seoul, I had a friend who drove a BMW. It was A LOT more convenient traveling with him than taking buses or subways. Drivers seem a lot more courteous now than a few years ago. There are numerous beautiful country roads outside Seoul with not much traffic. Just make sure you get a local GPS that alerts all published radar traps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Traffic congestion is horrific and the laws governing traffic violations, especially DUI, are much harsher than ours and, once you get to know some Koreans, you will be doing a lot of drinking as that seems to be the national pastime.
So true about drinking. In Seoul, there is a popular service for those too drunk to drive. You call a number. Someone will show up within 10-15 min and drive you home in your car. You pay him ~$10-20 depending on distance. That's it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome feedback guys, thanks!

I'm going to end up taking the CS along for he ride. I intend to do most of the "around town" transportation with public means but I like the idea of making my way out of town with my own car. I'll definitely have parking with my apartment so that's not a huge concern.

Now I have to figure out what neighborhood to live in. I'll be wirking in Yongsan but I'd like to live in a good, upscale hopefully, fun neighborhood that has a good mix of locals and international folks.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Awesome feedback guys, thanks!

I'm going to end up taking the CS along for he ride. I intend to do most of the "around town" transportation with public means but I like the idea of making my way out of town with my own car. I'll definitely have parking with my apartment so that's not a huge concern.

Now I have to figure out what neighborhood to live in. I'll be wirking in Yongsan but I'd like to live in a good, upscale hopefully, fun neighborhood that has a good mix of locals and international folks.

Any ideas?
There's a neighborhood I used to hang out in for those reasons and it is referred to as "the art" neighborhood but I've forgotten the exact name of it in Korean. If you get a good tourists map of Seoul it will tell you the neighborhoods. It was a fun place with lots to do and a little more laid back and less crowded than other areas. It was also the place I saw the most exotic cars parked. Enjoy your time there but be prepared it is a VERY different lifestyle.:cheers:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Welcome, do you still live here?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Driver02, I spend a lot of time in Seoul. In fact, I was looking up the exact same thing this morning! I did find out it is about $3k to ship the car from NYC or Baltimore. I could not find any good info on the customs and duties applied by Korea (please pm if you have this)! I never found the traffic horrific, certainly not when compared to NJ (philly area, not nyc area). Was about the same. Yes, take the subway to work, find parking, blah blah blah. No different than any other major city.

Fyi, there are 5 porsche dealerships around the Seoul region. I didnt see too many on the road, certainly nothing like Tokyo. If I were going expat, I would ABSOLUTELY take my car. I agree with using public transportation to get to work regularly, but for fun or driving to dinner or getting out of the city, it would be a blast.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We certainly do! We're in Uijeongbu, so also in Gyeonggi like you! What area are you in?
Greetings, driver 02.

If you live in Northern part of Gyeonggi province, I bet you are in the army base. Camp Jackson is it?

I used to frequent there to have Army Stew aka Johnson stew.

It's good to know some people are stationed here.

An nyong~

·
Registered
381 Posts
Besides, Seoul is a great city with great people. All the more to enjoy!
Great news Steve!

Do you get the car through Stuttgart motors or military dealer?

I was informed that the ship arrives at the dock on the 30th of Oct but my SA doesnt know the delivery date. My ball park was from 6th~12th. It usually takes 7 to 1 days here.

Congratulations for both of us.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This thread just gave me an idea, how about a picture thread with Porsches around the world? Would love to see pictures of Boxster/Caymans in a foreign country. Never been to Korea but my wife is a K-drama fanatic and Korea looks like a nice place to visit.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
This thread just gave me an idea, how about a picture thread with Porsches around the world? Would love to see pictures of Boxster/Caymans in a foreign country. Never been to Korea but my wife is a K-drama fanatic and Korea looks like a nice place to visit.
The best thing about Korea is the people. Really great people, and I have traveled a lot of places.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Steve, I brought my car in conjunction with a military move so I didn't get hit with the customs piece. I have to admit though, I sold the CS a bit ago... it made a great downpayment on a condo. I did end up bringing a 6spd BMW E90 335xi which is currently undergoing a full engine build. I bet you're counting the days till your GTS arrives!!

What do you do over here in Korea?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Camp Jackson is still around (just south of Uijeongbu) but I work a little further north in Dongducheon.

I can imagine that your car is a magnet for attention... seeing a yellow car here is like spotting a unicorn!! Everything else is black, white or grey...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts