Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend moving to the SF Bay area and he is going to be working in either San Mateo or Freemont (I think he can choose either location), but he doesn't have a clue where to live. I told him I had "lots" of members from the SF Bay area here on Planet-9 and I'd ask for recommendation. So please recommend away!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
147 Posts
If the individual will actually work in San Mateo, I would certainly consider San Mateo --- it is a nice area. Burlingame is just north of San Mateo and is really nice but more expensive. In my opinion, Menlo Park is the ideal location on the peninsula but be prepared to pay around $1 million for a nice townhouse. The San Francisco Bay Area has many micro-climates, so the weather can vary by quite a bit by 10 miles this way versus 10 miles that way. For the most part, the East Bay is generally warmer/hotter than the peninsula and really heats up as you go several miles inland. The housing market in the Bay Area has really gone crazier in recent years. I moved from there in October 2012 and my previous home has increased in value by more than $250,000 since that time. It is an absolutely beautiful area to live.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I were to choose between San Mateo or Fremont - I'd definitely take San Mateo - it's a little more.....lively. And the weather is a lot better. If I could, I would love to buy a house in San Mateo but the housing market has put most homes out of reach of even fairly decent salaries (100k+ salaries can barely afford a 2 bed 1 bath house in the nicer areas of San Mateo).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Would be helpful to know what age, if they're renting or buying, how long of a commute they can stand. I've lived in the Bay Area for 70 years.

·
Registered
356 Posts
is your friend single, married, and/or kids? all the areas with good school systems, have increased substantially for both buying a home or rental. however, the east bay 20-25% less expensive to live compared to the peninsula depending on where you look and criteria. circle back and i'm sure we can all help.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Fremont, as with other parts of what is called the East Bay, can be quieter and cheaper than say the peninsula, where Sam Mateo is. However the temperature is more extreme.

Also depending on where you live and work, traffic can be a real mess. Not like Los Angeles mess, but close.

I work in Fremont and am pretty familiar with the area if you friend wants to chat a bit. Except for a year in Texas I have lived in the area since 1981, and my wife was born and raised here.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agreed with most of the comments here.
San Mateo has better weather and is much closer to SF.
Fremont a bit cheaper and way hotter.

Definitely worth knowing more about what your friend is looking for, their family situation, etc.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I live in SoCal but have a general recommendation that applies to all Calif costal cities. Live small, live close to work, and enjoy your time here. Spending 3+ hrs on the road every day sucks the party out of life in Calif. I did it for a while and now live 10 minutes from work. I took my life back.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Live small, live close to work, and enjoy your time here. Spending 3+ hrs on the road every day sucks the party out of life in Calif.
This is SUPERB advice.

I grew up in San Mateo. I live in Danville (East Bay). I prefer the East Bay (this part of it, at least) because it is more of a small-town atmosphere, and the schools are better But if I was going to work in San mateo, I'd consider looking at Woodside / La Honda or Half Moon Bay, either about a 30 minute drive (and yes, it clashes a tad with the superb advice above).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Living close to work makes great sense. Many working in the tech industry live in San Francisco and take corporate shuttle buses to work. That can add hours to the work day, but SF is a vibrant place and great to live in if you can afford it or have lived there for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts