Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran the MPSC tires for the first time this weekend on Thunderbolt at NJMP. I previously ran Toyo R888. Using 235/40 F and 265/35 R on 18" wheels, the sweet spot seems to be 33F and 36R hot. This coincides with Michelin factory data for a Boxter but they used a 225/40 front tire. My car has stock springs and struts, GT3 front bar set in the middle and Tarret rear bar set full stiff. Using GT3 LCA, I have -2.5 camber in the front. My tire temperatures indicate that I could use a little more negative camber. I did experience a little understeer in a few spots and am thinking of running the front bar one hole off full loose. Has anyone tired that set-up? Overall, I preferred the MPSC to the R888 for my style of driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a new bone stock CaymanR that will be seeing the track for it's second day tomorrow. Last Saturday (at Homestead) was spent just feeling the car out for the first time since break in. I was running the stock MPSC's at 40lbs hot and I didnt push the car that much so no complaints. Tomorrow I intend to drive the tires off of this thing and look forward to getting into a proper r compound before my next track day towarrds the end of next month.

I'm hoping to get some pressure advice for my stock tires and some suggestion on what new shoes I should look forward to getting. It's a daily driver and sees the track 1-2 days per month average. I'd rather have performance than longevity but don't plan to do any major mods beyond some suspension bits down the road.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Do you have a TBD differential, or an LSD? It seems you should be a little tail happy, if you do.

You are the one that drives the car and feels it. Going softer in the sway bar will improve your grip. I would do it. In my car I used to go 38 hot all around, top speed in my track around 128.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
I have a new bone stock CaymanR that will be seeing the track for it's second day tomorrow. Last Saturday (at Homestead) was spent just feeling the car out for the first time since break in. I was running the stock MPSC's at 40lbs hot and I didnt push the car that much so no complaints. Tomorrow I intend to drive the tires off of this thing and look forward to getting into a proper r compound before my next track day towarrds the end of next month.

I'm hoping to get some pressure advice for my stock tires and some suggestion on what new shoes I should look forward to getting. It's a daily driver and sees the track 1-2 days per month average. I'd rather have performance than longevity but don't plan to do any major mods beyond some suspension bits down the road.

Thanks in advance!
You are running those a little high. When I ran SSs, I know - not the same - but similar, I got the best feel at 36F and 34R hot. I ran those at -2.2F and -1.8R camber with very minimal toe-in on track and as DD. The wear was even when I replaced them.

HTH

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently purchased a 2009 Cayman S, PDK, PASM, sport chromo with 18 inch wheels
that I;ve started tracking at VIR...The manuel requires tire pressure 30 lbs front and 31 lbs rear cold.....What are your recommendations where to run tire pressure on the track????
VIR is a high speed track easily hitting 140 to 145 mph on the back stretch.....
Thanks...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Uhh, I've never hit 140-145 on the back stretch at VIR... maybe for GT3's...

As for HOT tire pressures, go with 36 in front and 36-38 in rear.

Are you actually hitting 140-145 at VIR in a Cayman? My top speed (when I dared to look down) was ~136 but I'm not exactly an expert driver.. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Wow, you got MPSC's from the factory! I got ripped off! They only gave my Bridgestone RE050A's!

Jokes aside, I think you mean the Pilot Sport 2's (PS2s) and not the Sport Cups. Very different tire.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the tire pressure recommendation.....I'll try that next month at VIR.
I took this Cayman S to VIR with First Settlers in Sept and in the 1st morning session on the 3rd lap I hit 140 mph on the back stretch....keep in mind this is a 2009 generation II Cayman S with PDK, PASM and sport Chrono......it's much faster than my 2000 996 I replaced....
at the limits there is some body roll...considering the R suspension or another suspension upgrade maybe next year.....but I love the car....

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cdaniels, Assuming PS 2s look for 36 -38 hot. Top speed has nothing to do with it. If you're doing the Carolina's event in November, look me up. Midnight Blue Cayman S #61, Instructor Group.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I took this Cayman S to VIR with First Settlers in Sept and in the 1st morning session on the 3rd lap I hit 140 mph on the back stretch....keep in mind this is a 2009 generation II Cayman S with PDK, PASM and sport Chrono......it's much faster than my 2000 996 I replaced...
You have a good point about having the DFI engine with 320 hp. I was comparing to a 2008 with 295 hp. Also, your exit speed out of the oak tree was probably faster than mine.

Oh, and Bill is absolutely right. 36-38 was for Michelin PS2's.

Have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bill......Yes...I'm running PS2's ........Thanks for your advice.....
I'll definitely look you up in November.....I'm in a midnight blue Cayman S as well # 6.
I'm in the White group.
Look forward to it......
Thanks again....
Charles

·
Registered
11 Posts
@the_vetman.......the 2009 Cayman is the 1st year of the Gen II and has a number of
improvements...especially with the engine....I was surprised when I looked at
the speedometer at the end of VIR's backstretch and saw 140 mph....the PDK is a big
advantage as well when you set in in sport plus all you do is steer, hit the gas and brake...it does the rest.....
Thanks for you advice....and "fun" is what it's all about....

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took a look at my VIR Data. 135 in the back straight and 128 in the front. Gen 1, no engine mods except Tubi exhaust. I've been in the right seat of several Gen 2 Caymans and can definitely feel the power difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts