Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum. I'm planning to get a Cayman GTS (hope this is the right forum) and debating whether to get the MT6 vs PDK. Test drove the MT6 and love it. However, the spec states that the PDK is 3 mpg better than the MT6 in city driving, and 5mpg better in highway. Is that true? What gas mileage are you getting typically on either?

A couple more questions:
1. Does fuel consumption increases when Sport Plus is turned on, assuming driving style remains the same?
2. Does PDK blips like the MT6 in Sport Plus mode during downshift?

Thank you in advance for your input.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum. I'm planning to get a Cayman GTS (hope this is the right forum) and debating whether to get the MT6 vs PDK. Test drove the MT6 and love it. However, the spec states that the PDK is 3 mpg better than the MT6 in city driving, and 5mpg better in highway. Is that true? What gas mileage are you getting typically on either?

A couple more questions:
1. Does fuel consumption increases when Sport Plus is turned on, assuming driving style remains the same?

1. The 6MT in Sport Plus probably wouldn't use significantly more fuel than the other modes because you select the gear and in steady-state driving, there isn't any difference in fuel consumption. What changes is the "throttle response curve", eg, how quickly the throttle responds to pedal input. The PDK in Sport Plus auto mode doesn't shift until redline so it's not suitable for daily driving. In PDK Sport Plus manual mode you select the gear so that would be the determining factor. In regular Sport mode, the PDK in auto will always hold gears longer than Normal mode. For instance, in Normal auto mode, PDK will shift into 7th at about 46mph. In Sport auto mode, you have to be doing greater than 70mph for the PDK to select 7th. PDK Sport Plus auto mode will never select 7th.

2. The PDK blips the throttle on downshifts in every mode, including Normal. How aggressive the blip is depends on your driving style; if you are driving aggressively, like braking hard into corners, it will aggressively rev-match, like I said, even in Normal mode.

With cruise-control on the highway in 7th gear going 65mph, I've averaged as high as 34mpg with the PDK and for a trip with a mix of mostly highway and some stop lights, 28+ is not uncommon. In general, I would say the EPA numbers for the PDK are pretty accurate, but it all depends on your driving style.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
+1 blinsc. Just to add a few of my observations regarding PDK. I drive in normal auto mode a lot to warm up the car faster in the morning, and it shifts below 2000rpm even into 7th gear. This is why the fuel consumption is so good! Of course, when in this mode I might as well be driving a Passat... After the car is warmed up I put it in manual mode and tend to hold gears much longer than the car suggests (PDK cars have an upshift arrow to help you save gas...) If driven slowly (below 45mph) in traffic it will barely blip on downshift although it always blips into 2nd gear (nice) even in normal mode.
If you want to feel more sporty in normal conditions, get the 6MT. If you want to feel like you're driving a car on a Playstation, get the PDK...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I would pick which transmission you like better instead of the mpg it gives you, my brother drove his DCT M3 for a long time and recently started to drive a 6MT. He told me, he almost forgot how fun it was to row gears even in heavy traffic. Now if you live in Europe where it's $7/gallon, it'll be a different story.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I test drove both and ordered my GTS with a 6MT and never thought twice. Certain reviewers have said the 6MT in these cars is one of the best ever made...

I found the PDK un-involving. Most of the time, I had no idea what gear is was in or should be in. I felt really disconnected from the car and I didn't like it.

I have no real care about a 2 or 3mpg difference. I didn't buy this car for it's MPG ratings.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
+1 blinsc. Just to add a few of my observations regarding PDK. I drive in normal auto mode a lot to warm up the car faster in the morning, and it shifts below 2000rpm even into 7th gear. This is why the fuel consumption is so good! Of course, when in this mode I might as well be driving a Passat... After the car is warmed up I put it in manual mode and tend to hold gears much longer than the car suggests (PDK cars have an upshift arrow to help you save gas...) If driven slowly (below 45mph) in traffic it will barely blip on downshift although it always blips into 2nd gear (nice) even in normal mode.
If you want to feel more sporty in normal conditions, get the 6MT. If you want to feel like you're driving a car on a Playstation, get the PDK...
The key is that the Cayman S with PDK has a gear ratio of .62 in 7th gear, whereas the Cayman S with MT has a gear ratio of .81 in 6th gear. That accounts for the better gas mileage for PDK cars.

·
Registered
763 Posts
"If you want to feel more sporty in normal conditions, get the 6MT. If you want to feel like you're driving a car on a Playstation, get the PDK..."

And if you want to feel like an F1 driver, get the PDK and the sport design steering wheel and drive aggressively in manual mode using the paddle shifters. With the sport exhaust (standard on the GTS) it takes your breath away...every time you're out. Guaranteed

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Hi all,

A couple more questions:

Have you driven the PDK version yet? If not, make sure you play around with the different modes to get a good understanding how it behaves in each mode. Once you do, I doubt your selection criteria will be focused on mpg. You'll probably come up with a new set of questions that you'll have to answer.

For some, like myself, it was an easy decision to make. It had nothing to do with mpg and, if memory serves, gas prices were in the 4's when I placed my order.

I usually avg about 21-23 mpg. I have a commute that consists of street and highway driving, about 50/50, and, once in awhile, I'll incur stop & go traffic on a very small stretch of my commute. I definitely don't drive in a manner to maximize mpg but I don't goose-it every chance I get. One of these weeks, I'll have to see what I can achieve for max mpg. But right now, being obedient to the shift indicator will be near impossible given how much fun the 981 is.

What car and transmission are you coming from? I'm assuming the GTS will be your daily, right?

I forgot to mention, congrats on such a beautiful car. Whichever way you go you'll be all smiles!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have no doubt the PDK gets better mileage. It’s got an extra gear for the highway for one thing. And in auto mode, it probably upshifts at ridiculously low speeds. Even with the manual, the shift light indicator tells me to shift up when I hit 2000 rpm.

IMHO, don’t make your transmission choice based on fuel mileage. Picking the right car and keeping it for a long time helps save the planet, too.
:cheers:

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The car gets pretty decent fuel mileage with either transmission .... good enough that fuel economy shouldn't be the deciding factor in the choice of transmission.

Basically, if you enjoy shifting and like the feel of the car with the excellent 6 speed manual, then that's what you'll choose. If you're not convinced you need the manual as an integral part of the sports car experience, and don't mind shelling out another $3,000, then the PDK is arguably the finest and most versatile dual clutch automatic transmission currently on the market. Two fantastic choices, so how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
So I'll be going from PDK in the GTS to 6MT in the GT4 since I have no other option. Prior to the GTS I had driven manual transmissions for about 87% of the time I've had a license. I did five test drives to come to the decision to go PDK -- two manual, two PDK, and then rented a Boxster S PDK (with PASM, Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust) for a day to toss through the White Mountains.

Here's what I've noticed.

6MT

• You feel more involved.
  • Burnouts and donuts are as easy as they've always been.
  • Gearshifts can never be as quick as PDK. It's not physically possible.
  • Gearing is quite long. In 3rd you have nearly another 10mph to chew through than the PDK.
  • Obviously cheaper. Long-term maintenance costs are also lower.
PDK

• Something feels missing, but along the lines of driving a rental car that's unfamiliar to you. It's not bad, but it's different.
  • There is a slight lurch on the 1-2 and 2-1 around 6-8mph if you're crawling along (< 20% throttle) in stop-and-go traffic. In these same conditions, if you pulled both paddles to go to neutral, it may not re-engage in this specific scenario (again, 6-8 mph) and you may need to stop to get 1st back -- seems like a software bug.
  • Gearshifts are VERY quick and very firm in Sport Plus. Its a bit synthetically firm, but it feels good.
  • Sport Plus kind of reads your mind, and is quite aggressive. You really don't need to pull a paddle, ever, though I still tend to shift with the paddles at the same points I would've with a manual, mostly to engine brake.
  • Incredibly smooth in auto mode in both normal and sport. Passengers have said its one of the most comfortable cars they've been in.
  • I've actually not used launch control.
  • Tremendously good highway mileage if you're driving like a normal human being (which I did for break-in). I usually keep stop-start off in the city, so have not seen the improved mileage there. It's a bit weird the first few times coast mode engages on the highway to save fuel, but you get used to it.
The one bug I've found aside, I can't fault PDK. At all. If it were the GT3s PDK-S, the argument would get closer as you can clutch-kick and do burnouts easily. The current-gen PDK was good enough for me. The post-991/981 generation PDK will probably be nearly perfect.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am a bit perplexed that the small difference in mpg would factor into the decision to buy a Porsche sports car. That's a real head scratcher. As far as the sport plus button, I call it the 5 mpg button. I've put 23,000 miles on my '14 981S and these are >95% highway miles. When I first got the car I would hit sports plus all the time and wonder why I got so many mpg less than advertised. The car is noticeably quicker with sports plus engaged, and driving quicker burns more gas. I began cruising without it and would consistently get 26 mpg on the highway. The reason it matters to me is that I was making a 360 mile (one way) trip 3 times a month and with the sports plus button the car barely had the range to make the trip without needing to stop for gas. I still engage sports plus but use it when I am driving in a more spirited manner. The 6MT is a truly magnificent transmission and I am glad I got it. I like shifting gears. You won't go wrong either way as the PDK is also quite exceptional.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, you guys are good. All your inputs are valuable. I have not test driven the PDK yet and will need to experience for myself what you all said. My reasoning for question on PDK/MT6 fuel consumption is that PDK is a much quick shifter and provides better fuel economy, and this seems to be too good to be true (with option cost of course). In the days when general manual/automatic cars are considered, the MT usually get better mileage than the AT. It's reversed in this case.

I like driving like an F1 driver, or like playing Forza on Xbox (sorry Playstation guy), and can't wait to see what the PDK is like. I'm coming from an Audi S4 6MT so MT is no stranger.

Thanks all again for your input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would pick which transmission you like better instead of the mpg it gives you, my brother drove his DCT M3 for a long time and recently started to drive a 6MT. He told me, he almost forgot how fun it was to row gears even in heavy traffic.
Agreed. Couldn't even imagine thinking about buying these pcars with fuel consumption in mind. Get the proper 6MT box before MT is gone or the MT is PDK-rigged like with the 911.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Usually, you have to buy a more powerful car, subsequently with lower mileage, if you want an automatic transmission. When you drive a manual car and want fast acceleration while merging into highway, etc, you can intentionally stay in low gears.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
If you want Adaptive Cruise Control you have to get PDK. I have it and love it, but opinions vary. Depends a lot on traffic conditions, too.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I don't mean to sound arrogant, because I'm asking out of curiosity really.

Does it really matter how many mpg when one pays such sum for a sports car. I can understand the mpg matters between 12 cylinder and 6 cylinder sports cars. But between MT and PDK, how many dollars one could save over a year?

·
Banned
548 Posts
I don't understand why people keep saying the mileage difference between the two should be a non-concern just because it's a sports car. The PDK gets ~25% better economy on the highway according to the EPA and that is not insignificant. There are plenty of times when I appreciate that fact, like when I have a 3-hour+ interstate cruise and it makes the difference between having to stop 3/4s of the way there and get gas or being able to make it in a single shot.

If I wanted a manual I would have gotten it. This guy is clearly on the fence so why can't mileage be a reason to pick one over the other?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts