Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the BS in for an alignment and while on the rack, noticed soot on the muffler. A little investigation seems to point to a crack in the weld joining the end cap to the barrel of the muffler. While a magnet doesn't attract to the muffler itself, there is mild attraction to the weld bead. This leads me to believe the mufflers are SS. Anybody have any further info?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
No way the stock one IMO. And probably not even PSE (which I have), but maybe that is. And if it is, it'd be a low-quality SS at that (not all are created equal), since it still seems to rust a little. Most factory exhaust systems are made of 'aluminized steel'. At any rate, unless Inconel (which I'm positive is not on our cars), I believe you can weld them the same way, but lets wait for a welding expert to chime in, since it requires the right welder, especially if you're welding the muffler (very thin sheetmetal). Finally, all exhaust systems usually have a little hole (or holes) for condensation draining. Just to make sure it's not something intended for that purpose, I'd post a picture of your 'leak', and a few of us could quickly tell you if our cars have it or not, and then you'll have the answer of what you need to do (if at all).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No way the stock one IMO. And probably not even PSE (which I have), but maybe that is. And if it is, it'd be a low-quality SS at that (not all are created equal), since it still seems to rust a little. Most factory exhaust systems are made of 'aluminized steel'. At any rate, unless Inconel (which I'm positive is not on our cars), I believe you can weld them the same way, but lets wait for a welding expert to chime in, since it requires the right welder, especially if you're welding the muffler (very thin sheetmetal). Finally, all exhaust systems usually have a little hole (or holes) for condensation draining. Just to make sure it's not something intended for that purpose, I'd post a picture of your 'leak', and a few of us could quickly tell you if our cars have it or not, and then you'll have the answer of what you need to do (if at all).
Thanks but that was our first thought, the right side muffler does not have the tell tale soot nor is there a drain hole, that we saw, on either one. I'll go look again though. Water Metal

I noticed on the picture at home that if I blew it up, at the top of the weld on the right side there appears to be a hole. I suspect that is the problem rather than a crack. Which is a good thing, should be easier to repair.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
The 981 muffler, exhaust tip, & pipes are not magnetic, making me to believe that they are probably 304SS. The 304SS do slightly rust a bit (like my aftermarket cat-back exhaust & headers in my other car) and like any metal, it can suffer cracks from heat & mechanical stresses. Very few cars come OEM with SS and mostly aluminized steel. Advantage: Porsche!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Specialty muffler shop that welds SS confirmed it was some sort of SS. Spot welded the pinhole and cost me $35 and about 10 minutes time total.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.