Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just installed a Porsche (OEM) Music Player Interface, everything went well. Thanks for all the articles on this forum on how to remove the radio and center console.

Everything works fine with the new installation except my IPod (Nano Gen 4) displays a message when it is first pluged in "Not a Compatable Charging Device".

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how do I correct it. This OEM kit is supposed to charge my IPod along with playing my music.

2008 Boxster S

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the music plays with no problems. The only issue I have is the charging.

I contacted Suncoast Porsche, where I purchased the unit, and they are recommending a new cable too. This new cable has two leads, an IPod adapter and a USB connector. Here is a link to the cable: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//IPHONECABLE.html

What are you supposed to do with this cable? Play the music using the IPod connector, then unplug that connector and plug into the USB for charging. That's not how I understood this unit to work.

Here are the details for the OEM kit:

iPod or Aux. Input

Genuine Porsche Music Player Interface
Music Player (iPod) Interface Tequipment. This is a new system that functions with PCM 2.1 or CDR and can be retrofitted to MY 03-present Cayennes and MY 05-present sports cars. The system is FM Modulated, offers two connections (iPod specific and Aux Jack), and will not cause interoperability problems with the OEM head unit. Installation instructions are available, contact us for more information.
  • The music player interface has the following main features:
  • Discrete installation position in the center console storage bin
  • FM Modulated connection for external music players (iPod, MP3 player, etc.)
  • Additional standard connection socket for 3.5-mm jack plug
  • Battery charge function for the iPod
  • Volume control via PCM/Porsche CDR radio
  • Music tracks can be selected using the external music player
The standard 12 volt plug socket in the center console storage bin is no longer used when the music player interface is installed.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, the music plays with no problems. The only issue I have is the charging.

I contacted Suncoast Porsche, where I purchased the unit, and they are recommending a new cable too. This new cable has two leads, an IPod adapter and a USB connector. Here is a link to the cable: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//IPHONECABLE.html

What are you supposed to do with this cable? Play the music using the IPod connector, then unplug that connector and plug into the USB for charging. That's not how I understood this unit to work.

Here are the details for the OEM kit:

iPod or Aux. Input

Genuine Porsche Music Player Interface

Music Player (iPod) Interface Tequipment. This is a new system that functions with PCM 2.1 or CDR and can be retrofitted to MY 03-present Cayennes and MY 05-present sports cars. The system is FM Modulated, offers two connections (iPod specific and Aux Jack), and will not cause interoperability problems with the OEM head unit. Installation instructions are available, contact us for more information.
  • The music player interface has the following main features:
  • Discrete installation position in the center console storage bin
  • FM Modulated connection for external music players (iPod, MP3 player, etc.)
  • Additional standard connection socket for 3.5-mm jack plug
  • Battery charge function for the iPod
  • Volume control via PCM/Porsche CDR radio
  • Music tracks can be selected using the external music player
The standard 12 volt plug socket in the center console storage bin is no longer used when the music player interface is installed.
Is your radio the Navi version (PCM)? if so, is this the kit you installed? PCM 3.0 Audio & iPod Input Kit:Suncoast Automotive Porsche, Audi, & VW

If so, yes, you'll need that cable with the two leads because it will have a plug that fits it. My '10 box S has the CDR 30 unit with the universal interface (simlar to this: CDR 30 Auxillary Interface Kit - Boxster/Cayman 2009+:Suncoast Automotive Porsche, Audi, & VW) and only has the 3.5 mm jack, so that two lead cable does not work. In other words, my interface sucks because songs still need to be controlled through the ipod and not through the radio. I wish I had researched this before I bought the car. oh well.

good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help. I purchased the iSimple Revolt Mini and now my IPod charges, who would of guessed the charging system changed from 12 volt to 5 volt.

My head unit is the standard CDR-24 with a single CD slot. It sounds like a lot of people are disppointed the music cannot be controlled through the head unit, for me it's not a problem, I just select my playlist before I start out.

Thanks again for all the articles on how to remove the radio and center console.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.