Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have already posted my impressions of my 2009 CS at its first track day. Now, I will just discuss the track day at Road Atlanta.

I only attended on Sat-weather was cool, sunny, darn near perfect. I understand Sunday was wet and miserable.

There were three run groups--novice, intermediate and advanced. I was in intermediate, as I have about 22 track events under my belt, and most of them at Road Atlanta. The cars in all groups were impressive, with more serious track hardware in the upper two groups, and more unmodified street cars in the novice group. I probably should have run novice, as I putted around a lot in my new, stock car.

In my group, a bright yellow C6Z06 with Hoosiers and Brembos and two Nissan GT-Rs set the pace. Fast as he!!! The two Nissans were stunningly fast and dogged each other all day. Both had at least some track mods, not the least of which was a new, loud exhaust. Their closing rate was stunning.

These paddle shifter cars just kill us ol' 6-speed folks. You can see so much consistency in braking and exiting corners--always in the right gear, no issues with heel and toeing and braking consistency. Darn, I shudda gotten PDK!

Everyone seemed to behave themselves. Not too many stoppages for spins, etc. A few, but only a few. A well-run event.

I was there with the Atlanta Motorsports Park membership. Many great folks and great rides. Also there "helping out" for AMP were pros David Murry, Randy Pobst, and Joe Foster. I talked a great while with David and with Joe (Randy always seemed to be heading to the track in yet another car). Both David and Joe are great guys, as I am sure Randy is if he'd slow down!!

David, who currently campaigns a Ford GT in ALMS for Robertson Racing, rode with me and gave me pointers. What fun!

Someone here told me to look out for a blue Mini with white stripes--yes, he was fast and yes I let him pass more than once. But then, I let everyone pass as I topped out at 100 mph or so on the straights to save brakes and my new engine. Still, I had fun and I enjoyed the new car.

As the weather gets increasingly sloppy with winter approaching, I may not run again for a while--this was a good way to end the year. :cheers:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
nice write up...i,m coming from corvettes [07 z what my last] i,m not taking it well...what was i thinking

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi quick, sorry that I missed you. I was in the Atlas Grey CS in the novice group. My buddy was in the cobalt blue CS. First time at RA and was a little spooked at first but really had fun the last session on Saturday. That turn 12 is everything that people warn you about. I too do not have PASM and the car really leaned there too. Time for the TPC sway bars.

When the rain started Sunday, we decided it was time to pack up and head home. No way I was running that track in the rain especially with the worn out street tires that I have.

This was my third time running with MVP and have enjoyed all of them. They will be back at RA next year same time so I will probably be there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know over on some mini site there is probably a posting saying "Blew the doors off a Porsche at the track!" or something like that... ;)

As long as you had fun, that's all that matters, enjoy!
Frankly, at all brand/model websites all over the nation this is being said thanks to yours truly. I apologize to all croc-ophiles. Of course, if any of them were honest, they could tell I ran up to 100 mph and then stayed steady--I was letting anyone by who wanted by, trying to be a good neighbor.

Next time, however, with the proper break-in completed, I will affix some better track rubber and make some suspension adjustments and we'll make up for this shortfall. The GT-Rs and the Z-06s will still eat my lunch, but the rest of these cars will have a tougher assignment. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi quick, sorry that I missed you. I was in the Atlas Grey CS in the novice group. My buddy was in the cobalt blue CS. First time at RA and was a little spooked at first but really had fun the last session on Saturday. That turn 12 is everything that people warn you about. I too do not have PASM and the car really leaned there too. Time for the TPC sway bars.

When the rain started Sunday, we decided it was time to pack up and head home. No way I was running that track in the rain especially with the worn out street tires that I have.

This was my third time running with MVP and have enjoyed all of them. They will be back at RA next year same time so I will probably be there.
I was parking by the skidpad at the far end of the paddock with the Atlanta Motorsports Park crowd--didn't mingle enough. Let me know if you're headed down to RA or Barber, etc., next time and we'll see if we can meet. Sorry about the rain on Sunday. I was there only on Saturday.

Turn 12 takes a bit of adjustment. In my Z06 I nearly hung the wheels off the track once under the start-finish bridge after turn 12 and learned my lesson. Frankly, after crushing your brakes leading into 10A, then schlepping through 10A and B, and then cresting that hill as you line up with the colored panels hanging from the bridge, you feel like you should be ready to rock, and then the world drops off and you are staring at a lot of concrete. Of course, it was a much bigger scare before 10A and B were installed....

Instead of dying in turn 12, I mangled same-said Z on the inside wall near the top of the hill after turn 1. Turn 1 is off camber to the left and when you really cook it, you easily can track out at the very edge of the paving. I hadn't scrubbed enough speed off the front straight (my new suspension parts were so good my seat of the pants meter didn't register any lean and I thought I could carry more speed than the tires could absorb) and I literally slid all four wheels off the outside of turn 1, then panicked (talent overrun), then flew across the track, hitting the inside wall at a 45 degree angle. I walked away--heck, the doors still opened perfectly--but the portion of the Z06 before the firewall absorbed a wee bit of shock. Plus, all of this happened at a PCA DE so I had to listen to all of the jokes from the Porsche owners I had been effortlessly passing (who, to their credit, didn't tease me until it was clear I was okay physically, if damaged a bit financially). Of course, now I am a Porsche owner so I'll have to make fun of the Vette drivers who pass me on the back straight....

RA is a tough track and a little lacking in safe run-off room--but it sure is fun.

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
930 Posts
Nice write-up! Glad to hear you had a good time.

That's a co-worker of mine in the blue Mini. He's really quite a good driver and has made some very effective mods to his suspesion and brakes. Truthfully, he's used to passing all kinds of cars so he doesn't make a big deal out of it. :)

I myself am a believer in limiting speed on most straights to something comfortable and letting others by. Of course, that's not to say I don't see what I can achieve on occasion - especially once I start getting my exit speeds up and can see how much it improves my top speed on the straight. Still, with my "keep the car stock" mantra it does save some wear going into the turns at the end of the straight by taking it easy most of the time.

Thanks again for the write up. I'll get to RA one of these days for sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts