Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went about creating a budget Boxster Spyder from my 99 2.5. Stripped it down, added headers, race exhaust, rear rollcage, Spec Boxster like suspension, lightweight flywheel, CF hood and trunk, LSD, 15x7 wheels with cantilever slicks.

Result 2300 lb 215 HP racer that is a fun as heck to drive at track and AX events.

Video of it at an AX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3uYEVnVf-E

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
One of my track buddies went the same route with his 986S, but also added a supercharger - he has no trouble running away from my CS on the track, and he doesn't have to worry as much about putting it into the tire wall, as his 997 Turbo.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Nice job B.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great work!

Now if the body kit fabricators can get to work making a kit to make the cosmetics of a box look like the spider.. It may well be worth getting a box and installing the spider kit. :gossip: That would definitely get my interest.

Reactions: chopsickle

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Great job, and also the right idea completely, I think, about this new "SPYDER" Porsche car. Just get a very good used Boxster or Cayman and make it yourself if you are really serious about getting a 987 that will be a serious track car/sometimes street car. Then the car will still be cheap enough for you to properly use it on a track. These official "Spyder" versions are going to be so expensive and "NEW," that no one will actually be willing to use the car properly in fear of "hurting" it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Good job. I agree its more practical to do that than buy the Spyder for more :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
That rollbar looks nicely installed. Who, where, and how much? :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That rollbar looks nicely installed. Who, where, and how much? :)
Its the back half of spec Boxster cage. TC Design in Milpitas Ca did the work. Requires removal of convertible top and isnt very practical for a street going car but for my dedicated AX car its perfect. I'm still debating on weather I'm going to build front part of the cage.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Question. $10K total investment or just for the car. BTW, way to go. Great alternative to going the MX5 route.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its the back half of spec Boxster cage. TC Design in Milpitas Ca did the work. Requires removal of convertible top and isnt very practical for a street going car but for my dedicated AX car its perfect. I'm still debating on weather I'm going to build front part of the cage.
Thanks! So that means you could still fit a hard top?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well put together my friend. By chance where did you purchase your front and rear CF hatches and did you have any fitment issues? The reason I ask is I have heard of the front hatch bulging out more than OE specifications.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Would love to find a plastic molding manufact. who could make fenders & doors out of the same stuff Saturn used to use for their cars. For track day cars....you add a flare to the fenders on the mold, (if legal) to fit o.s tires and if you bend anything...it just pops back out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bump! update please! I would like to see more photos and any more upgrades you have made to this project. You have inspired me. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Great job, and also the right idea completely, I think, about this new "SPYDER" Porsche car. Just get a very good used Boxster or Cayman and make it yourself if you are really serious about getting a 987 that will be a serious track car/sometimes street car. Then the car will still be cheap enough for you to properly use it on a track. These official "Spyder" versions are going to be so expensive and "NEW," that no one will actually be willing to use the car properly in fear of "hurting" it.
Not this guy. Claimed it was the best track car he'd ever owned including a long list of 911's.

·
Registered
841 Posts
These official "Spyder" versions are going to be so expensive and "NEW," that no one will actually be willing to use the car properly in fear of "hurting" it.
Hardly, my Spyder was at the track 7 days old, again 3 weeks later, at the drag strip 4 times in its first two months of ownership, driven daily to and from work (40 Miles each way) and was just on another two day DE this weekend. I have put 14,000 miles on it and it has yet to have its first year anniversary. I have run in to another Spyder owner at DE events.
There may be some who like to keep their Spyders in Concours quality, but they don't have nearly as much fun as those of us that use it as it was meant to be used. I paid for it and plan on getting every dollar out of it and then some!

Reactions: preetham

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
1 - 19 of 19 Posts