Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Planet-9 but been a member of 6speed and Rennlist for a while. So I picked up a used black 2010 Cayman S PRK about 10 days from a private seller in San Diego to turn into a full track car in the next 6-9 months. I already track a GT3 RS but want something cheaper and different. The car has the chrono sport upgrade along with the dynamic headlights and upgraded speakers. First order of business was to upgrade the seats to the GT2/3 carbon bucket seats which I did this past weekend. :dance:

I'll be ordering some OZ 18" wheels soon and already have an order for the EVOMS intake and Fabspeed Race Exhaust. In terms of coilovers, I'm leaning towards the KW V3 Clubsports with the topmounts....the kit comes with 400 springs in the front and 680 in the rear. Should I get slightly stiffer springs for the front? like 500 or 550?

I'll post some pictures of the car later. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Love the seats, they are one of the best parts of my CR. I will also mod my car, but not as a track car but more a road car with track capabilities, so everyday usability needs has to stay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here's an update on the modding so far of what's been installed...

GT3 Master Brake Cylinder
Agency Power SS Brake Lines
GiroDisc Slotted Rotors (Front & Rear) with caliper spacers
Endless ME20 Pads
Motul 660 Fluid
EVOMS Intake
Fabspeed Race Exhaust
18 OZ wheels with RS3 tires (18x8.5 with 255 wide and 18x10 with 285 wide)
Snorkel Removed
Clear Side Markers

The brakes on the car are confidence inspiring with a pedal feel of what my RS brakes feel like. The car has woken up and you can hear it....slight butt dyno increase in power. Here's a picture of the car from Sunday at Buttonwillow (improved my lap time by almost 4 seconds):

Next up is suspension as that was NOT confidence inspiring. The car almost had as much body roll as my Prius. JRZ coilovers and other RSS/Tarett bits are coming in Jan. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice looking Cayman and the mods seem very well planned.

Do you drive to and from each event in the Cayman? How is the exhaust drone from the Fabspeed?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice looking Cayman and the mods seem very well planned.

Do you drive to and from each event in the Cayman? How is the exhaust drone from the Fabspeed?
Thanks, I'm taking the mods step by step before I do the full track build in the summer.

Yeah, I drive the Cayman to and from the track (Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla) and why I got RS3s versus NT-01s.

The exhaust is a bit loud but I have an RS with no side mufflers so this exhaust is quieter than that. The drone is between 2,200-3,000 rmp so I usually shift down to 6th gear on the highway in manual mode to stay above 3,000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Do you plan to do any engine cooling mods like CSF radiators or additional PDK cooling? I believe only one of the fluids are cooled in your year car. Do you have an LSD as that throws more heat into the gear oil? Consider the use a track engine oil like Joe Gibbs XP9.

Good luck with your car

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you plan to do any engine cooling mods like CSF radiators or additional PDK cooling? I believe only one of the fluids are cooled in your year car. Do you have an LSD as that throws more heat into the gear oil? Consider the use a track engine oil like Joe Gibbs XP9.

Good luck with your car

Rob
Rob, I just have the 3 OEM radiators up front for now. As I move forward I'll be looking to add PDK, oil, and power steering cooling. I think my LSD is toast as the rear end was wiggling under heavy braking at the end of straights yesterday. Does OS Giken or Guard make an upgrade to the OEM LSD? I'm on the RS3 street tires for now but as I get faster and move to sticker tires I'll be looking to do other things, including cooling.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have you considered the Elephant Racing suspension parts instead the RSS/Tarett pieces? I don't have any first hand experience with any of them but they sure do like nice and I have read some good things on them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you considered the Elephant Racing suspension parts instead the RSS/Tarett pieces? I don't have any first hand experience with any of them but they sure do like nice and I have read some good things on them.
ERP stuff is actually manufactured by Tarett. I've already placed my order for the RSS/Tarett stuff.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Congrats! Have you considered JRZ suspension? If not for anything else the KV are a pain to adjust... BTW where are you in located? LA or San Diego area?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rob, I just have the 3 OEM radiators up front for now. As I move forward I'll be looking to add PDK, oil, and power steering cooling. I think my LSD is toast as the rear end was wiggling under heavy braking at the end of straights yesterday. Does OS Giken or Guard make an upgrade to the OEM LSD? I'm on the RS3 street tires for now but as I get faster and move to sticker tires I'll be looking to do other things, including cooling.
Both Guard and OSGiken make LSD for pdk based car, I am also looking into whether or not quaife does.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
DoubleApex,
In your car the power steering is run through the engine "oil cooler" so it is giving up some of its heat to the coolant. The PDK clutch fluid I believe is also cooled by the coolant. So if you go to the three CSF aluminum radiators your will help reduce temps on all three fluids a bit. On my 987.1 2.7 L manual with larger 996 oil cooler and three CSF radiators I see a 10 degree reduction in engine oil temperature at the track to 210 F. Around town I see 190 F. Some customers of Napleton have had PDK gear oil coolers installed. There are some postings on this forum about this. It is similar to my escapade article on cooling the trans axle.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats! Have you considered JRZ suspension? If not for anything else the KV are a pain to adjust... BTW where are you in located? LA or San Diego area?
Yeah, I actually already placed an order for the JRZ RS Pro coilover kit so they should be here in early Jan. I looked at KW but passed and Ohlin didn't have a kit for the Cayman (I have the single adjustable ones in my RS). I'm actually in Orange County. I'm going to be talking to a few local OC shops about getting a full build done this summer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Both Guard and OSGiken make LSD for pdk based car, I am also looking into whether or not quaife does.
Oh nice, when I went to the OS Giken website I only saw that their 987.2 Cayman S application was for 6 speed transmittions (maybe they haven't updated their website).

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
Yeah, I actually already placed an order for the JRZ RS Pro coilover kit so they should be here in early Jan. I looked at KW but passed and Ohlin didn't have a kit for the Cayman (I have the single adjustable ones in my RS). I'm actually in Orange County. I'm going to be talking to a few local OC shops about getting a full build done this summer.
We run the JRZ TA on the race car and they work very well - easily adjustable and not too much of a killer to rebuild.

Have you chatted with Dwain at Vision re: the race car build? Vision built my car and is doing another Cayman S race car now - after just completing two Boxster race cars.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts