Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I like the "no DLR look"! Looks much more aggressive!

These just arrived:

So I will be mounting the new brakes in the following week (hopefully).
That's not in time for the next trackday, but that's fine since I was planning to stretch the VW's legs anyway (BTW, my VW Golf/Rabbit has 987 Base Calipers with special discs, Pagid RS29 pads, Steel brake lines and racing brake fluid and those brakes work very well on the VW).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like the "no DLR look"! Looks much more aggressive!

These just arrived:

So I will be mounting the new brakes in the following week (hopefully).
That's not in time for the next trackday, but that's fine since I was planning to stretch the VW's legs anyway (BTW, my VW Golf/Rabbit has 987 Base Calipers with special discs, Pagid RS29 pads, Steel brake lines and racing brake fluid and those brakes work very well on the VW).
I wouldn't install those on my car, those are from hell! :hilarious:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
:hilarious:
I've seen a lot of people going for Goodridge, but since I used HEL on the VW (again, with 987 Calipers) and I was very happy with the choice, I decided not to switch now.
The brakes will be fitted next Tuesday. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So... As promised, the brake job is done and here is what exactly happened, with pictures of before and after.

What did I exactly do?
Well, I changed the following:

- 981 Cayman Front Calipers with 718 Cayman S/GTS Calipers. These are the same ones as used on the 911 991.2 Carrera, just painted red.

- 981 Cayman Rear Calipers with 981 S/GTS or 718 S/GTS Calipers. Basically the same as the original ones but I wanted to have all the calipers in one color...

- 981 Cayman Rotors 315 x 28 with 330 x 34 Rotors from the 718 (982) Cayman S/GTS or 911 991.2 Carrera

- Changed the front brake cooling spoilers from to 981 Cayman S/GTS ones. The new ones direct the airflow to the brake rotors.

- Added rear brake cooling spoilers from the 981 Cayman S/GTS or 718 Base/S/GTS. Especially because I have the PTV, I thought these are needed.

- HEL brake lines front & rear

- 7mm hubcentric spacers front & rear (photos' after)

So, how does that feel?
Easy answer, worse than before - because I have to bed in the brakes :p . After that I expect these brakes to better handle the occasional track days I have with the car. If I end up tracking the car regularly, this setup is a great starting point - I only have to change the rotors, the pads and the brake fluid and I am ready for some serious trackdays.
But, one thing that I immediately noticed, the car looks much better with the larger brakes and with the red calipers :pomppomp:

Why this kit?
Well, for a number of reasons:
1. I wanted a bolt on kit preferably without changing the Master Brake Cylinder
2. Just buying the 991.2 Carrera calipers (the black ones) would have been marginally cheaper than buying both the front and back calipers I bought (strange, I know...)
3. Considering these brakes are used on the 718 GTS, I think they are more than adequate for me
4. The 991 S 6 piston caliper was much more expensive to get (in Europe)
5. The 981 S Brakes were not an option because I wanted way thicker rotors (34mm vs 28mm).

Any ideas or comments are welcomed, as always.
Next up, the Porsche Experience Day I took part in yesterday. It kinda changed my view on the future Porsche purchase. So, stay tuned :cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So, I was telling you about the Porsche Experience event I took part in last week. Even if it is not directly connected to the Cayman, I think it plays a part in what will happen with the Cayman later on, so here it goes...
Porsche Romania invited me to take part in this event where, for approx 3 hours, you get to experience all the models in the current Porsche range: 718, 911, Macan, Cayenne, Panamera. The had 2 of each (with different engines and specs) and, along with another person, I would drive one of the 5 models (and get to be a passenger in the other one). As the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera are of absolutely no interest to me, I will only detail my experiences with the 718 and 911 (992).

The 911 first... This was to be one of my mistakes, I got to drive the 992 S (RWD) first. After this, all the other models in the range were not even close as exciting. Anyway, I have to say the 911 impressed me a lot. So much so, that I have decided that my next Porsche will be a 911. I was having thoughts about the 718 GT4 (to be released later this year) but not any more. The way the car pulls and the way it handles really convinced me to look no further than the 911. The only thing I didn't like was the sound the turbocharged 3.0 makes in the 911 (even with sport exhaust). So, if all goes well, I plan to keep the Cayman because of its great sounding engine and because of the manual gearbox and get an automatic 911 as well in 3-4 years time.

A few photos of the 911:

And I also wanted to share with you my drives in the 718 - they had a 718 Boxster GTS and a 718 Cayman T. This is quite funny because, before buying the current Cayman, I was in discussions with the Porsche Dealer for 2 configurations really close to what they offered now at the event (except for the gearbox). Back then, I settled for the GTS, but because the Dealer was not at all professional when discussion about the financing - making one deal and then not respecting it - I went with the current car.
After driving the Cayman T and being a passenger in the GTS, I am really glad I did not buy the newer 718 generation! The 718's have a nicer steering wheel, navigation system and seats while my car has the 6 Cylinder Engine and a Manual Gearbox. And what a difference those make! I use the car 95% in the city with a 6 mile commute - so I appreciate the NA engine and gearbox much more.
BTW, the Porsche Dealer said that you CAN'T order ANY Porsche models with a manual gearbox in Romania because of the new emission testings which are not yet complete.

A few photos of the Cayman T:

Whats next?
I will enjoy the car wherever I can (city, highway, tackdays) :drivingskid:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Here you go:
718 GTS Caliperes: Left 982 615 123 C; Right 982 615 124 C
718 GTS Rotors: Left 9P1 615 301 A; Right 9P1 615 302 A
Rear brake air scoops: Left 982 505 569; Right
982 505 570
Front brake air scoops: Left 981 341 483 00; Right 981 341 484 00

Since I see you have a 981 S, you should have those air scoops as standard, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
146 Posts
v-rex

Thanks for supplying the part numbers...

Re: Scoops.... For some reason I seem to recall them looking smaller than the ones in your photos...

·
Vendor
250 Posts
Nice progress going on in here. I couldn't believe you were able to get the front end back to 98% after the light crash. Some of my favorite driving experiences off the race track were in Italy driving over the bridges and through the tunnels.

Let us know if you decide to get a set of lightweight 18" wheels for better performance, we'd love to see a set of our SM-10 wheels on the car. :)

- Ryan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks!
I prefer Austria, Germany, Switzerland and many other countries over Italy when it comes to driving... The Italians are, just like the Romanians, very misbehaved in traffic.

Regarding the wheels, I will keep them in mind.
I certainly like the look, but not so sure about the size... As Pilot Sport Cup 2's can't be found in 235/45/18 and I like to stick to OEM size wheels, I am pretty much constrained to 19 inches.

Cheers!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Putting the ISOFIX mod to good use:

I have not yet used PSE with the kid inside but I am so curious to see what he thinks of it :hilarious:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Questions for v_rex on those very nice brake upgrades that you've done:

1) In going through with the rotor upgrades, does anything need to be done to the rotor (heat / dust) shields?
2) Are the 718 Cayman S/GTS / 911 991.2 Carrera calipers noticeably thicker than the stock 981 calipers? From your pictures, I'm guessin they are, and that is why you needed to add the 7mm spacers to make the wheels clear, right?

Would be very interested to know as this seems like an easy button to meaningfully add quite a bit of additional braking capacity for track usage...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
To answer your questions:
1) Nope. Besides the obvious, (calipers, pads, rotors) only the caliper bolts need to be changed
2) Not sure if they are noticeably thicker or not. But no, the 7mm spacers were not needed. I added them just for the looks. The stock Carrera Classic wheels fit the brakes without the 7mm spacers (this is normal since they are also used on the 718's and they have the same brakes). I would say all the 981 wheels fit the 718 S/GTS brakes but it's just an assumption, please don't quote me on that. If you have some smaller clearance wheels, I can definitely make some measurements for you (just tell me what to measure :))

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you for the fantastic explanation, v_rex! I always like it when there is an easy, direct swap option available using factory parts! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
And the story goes on... but not exactly as I anticipated to :dance:

Since the baby, I have to be closer to home and I can't leave for weeks. Nonetheless, I still wanted to do a track day at Hungaroring or a visit Nurburgring. Since the latter requires at least 4 days, I chose to go to Hungaroring, for now...
I wanted to take the VW Golf but with I some engine issues I can't really enjoy the car and it's not ready for trackdays. So, until I fix or swap the engine I guess I will use the Cayman for trackdays as well.
The car is better prepared to handle the track action than before but as I found out, there are huge limitations...

So, on the 11th of August (exactly 1 week after the Formula 1 Grand Prix at Hungaroring), Hungaroring opened its doors for a track day event. Since I wasn't in the track ready Golf (where I would have as many sessions/laps as possible) I decided to have 4 sessions with the Cayman - not to kill it.
The weather was very very warm and the tires are now, by far, the worst think about this car for the track. I couldn't use the new brakes to their full potential (btw, these brakes are great for the state of the car) because the tire grip was very poor. I had real problems maintaining the optional tire pressure throughout the day. I learned that 2.3 bar (33PSI) is the best tire pressure for this tire (P Zero) but I only had about 4 laps (in total) with the tires at this pressure.
Even at the optimal pressure, these were the maximum G's I managed:

It is clear that if I intend to push the car even more, I need better road tires (like Pilot Sport 4S) or semislicks - Cup 2 or similar.
Before I edit the video with the best laps, here are some photos:

Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Like promised, here is the video with the best two laps of the previous trip:

Compared to my previous trip to Hungaroring, I was 0.8 sec slower. Not the end of the world, but at least I got to see what "went wrong" by looking at the data (I'm using VBox sport + exterior antenna & Circuit Tools and Performance Tools).

I was a bit slower in turns 6 (because of the lack of guts) and 13 because I couldn't find an approach that would not involve loads of understeer (yet).
In the second lap form the video above, I lost all 0.8 seconds in turn 14 when I encountered traffic. Why the hell someone would be either extremely slow (this was the category with the fast cars) or on their cool down lap and still use the racing line is beyond my comprehension...
Anyway, once more, this is a great little car and I had great fun in it. :drivingskid:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Good morning everyone!

I keep telling myself (and you) that the Cayman is not my trackday car but the reality is I am constantly giving you trackdays footage. Well this occasion is not different...
Since I wanted at least one more trackday this year and since Nurburgring is out of the question (for this year), I decided to visit the Transilvania Motor Ring circuit which is 70 miles away from home.
I wanted to go with the Golf (Rabbit in USA) but, after the non resolved missfire issues, I "settled" for the Cayman...

The day started a bit worrying for me since it looked like another cold and wet day but it turned out to be the opposite. I had lots of fun and no issues with the car.
I still like the Golf more in the bends (due to the semislick and suspension setup) and on braking but I love the Cayman for the traction when exiting corners and for the sound. To have the same fun all around I would have to change the tires, the brake pads, the ARB's and probably the springs and shocks. But, once more, that is not something I want to do right now. So, even with these downfalls I will enjoy the car as it is:

A drive-by video (PSE, SportChrono + Downshifts):

And the best lap of the day:

Any advice is welcomed!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts