Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, however I have been reading a ton of posts this past month. I ordered a 2016 cayman last week for a july build and was wondering if there are any options you guys think are necessary that I did not choose before my car build freezes.

White, Manual, 19 boxter s wheels, color center caps, cdr plus, sports design steering wheel, smoking package, convenience package.

I'm on the fence about the x73 as this will be my daily driver. What do you guys think? I really want to keep the sticker below 60.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Looks great. Black interior? I'd consider the Ventilated Seats option if it gets hot where you drive.

The goal of keeping it under $60K is admirable. You'll end up with great value in a Porsche since most options depreciate quickly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you plan on any night driving the Bi-Xeon head lights are a good option. They are only standard on the S and GTS model.
Which seats are you getting? I really like the Sport-Seats Plus. The extra bolster support is quite nice. They are an extra $800, but are leather which is a plus.

I passed on the CDR-plus, and just use a bluetooth adapter. The $2400 I saved there went to other options, so Porsche still got the money.
The only option that is a good deal is the 'premium package' but only if you are getting the 14-way or the 18-way seats.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have a very similar build. White manual with 19 Boxster wheels, sports design steering wheel, bi-xenon, tinted tails, convenience, and smoking package. I also omitted CD-R+ but I did get front and rear parking sensors. The sticker was right below 60k for me. I think you should get the bi-xenon otherwise your car will seem dated already. Plus visibility will be improved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Cayman is very similar to what you are ordering, although I got mine as a CPO from the Atlanta dealer with 2k miles on it. I have the Carrara White, which really looks great, in my opinion. I have the black interior. I do like the BiXenon w/ PDLS lights but they probably aren't a deal breaker. The biggest thing that I like that isn't on your list is the PDK transmission, although that would certainly up the price a little. I like the Sport Plus seats and the Sports design steering wheel. The 19" Boxster S wheels look incredible too! The Sound Package Plus is worth having for sure. If you can get the Bose, it is considerably better. I think you will be very happy with this build! Congrats.
11053555_846868548741292_1296492812103407686_n.jpg Porsche14.jpg

·
Registered
794 Posts
I had a similar goal with my S -- to keep my price with discount under 70. I barely eclipsed that mark, with my painted bits putting me a few hundred over. My philosophy was to get the things that it was impossible (or very difficult) to add later -- financially or from an engineering standpoint -- and leave anything else for later. Seats, steering wheel, and suspension were high on that list. Turns out that most of the interior bits could be bought at or near the same price through Suncoast, if you want to add those later....

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Congrats! 981 is a greatest car even with zero options.

Scratch that. Sport Design wheel is a must :)

Reactions: schuy and Jeff78

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your advice. I have the standard black interior with the normal seats not the sport plus seats. One of my must have options was the manual as I felt it made the car much more fun to drive even though its not as fast as the pdk. I just felt like it suited the base cayman more, being a pure drivers car. The bi-xenon lights might be an option I should consider though. Does it make that much of a difference? do any of you have pictures of the car at night? Again thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I also have a 2016 Cayman Base ordered and it is an adjustment to my 2014 Cayman Base that I currently own.

2014 Base
o Black
o Luxor Beige
o PDK
o 19" Cayman Wheels
o Premium Package
o 14 Way Memory Seats
o Infotainment
o PDLS Plus

2016 Cayman Base
o Mahogany Metallic
o Luxor
o PDK
o 19" Boxster S Wheels
o 14 Way Memory Seats
o CDR+
o PDLS
o Sport Suspension
o SportDesign Steering Wheel
o Sport Tailpipes

·
Registered
51 Posts
My goal was the same as yours when I started then when I added upgraded wheels, stereo, headlights it just made sense for me to get a very basic "S" model for not much more. Regarding options I would drop the CDR plus as you can just get a phone mount from T-Mobile and run an Aux wire to the Aux in or buy a $50 Bluetooth adapter. With those savings I would upgrade to BOSE and consider sport suspension (I really like park assist F&R). I drove a loaner Boxster S w/PDK from dealer last week it felt way soft and non sporty now that I am used to the sport suspension.

·
Registered
371 Posts
No pictures, but when driving at night on twisty roads the BI-Xeons and PDLS worked well. My audi a4 had Bi-Xeons and I did not want to go back.

The manual transmission is a joy to use.
I picked PASAM over the X73 because I was worried about the extra 10mm of drop from with the X73.
If clearance is not an issue then I would go with the X73. I leave my PASAM in sport mode almost all of the time.

There are a couple of options that can be retro fitted.
PSE ,
X73

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I had a long discussion with my friend/sales rep when configuring the 2016 Cayman order. I had driven my current 981 for close to 2 years with the standard suspension. I enjoy it but wanted a bit tighter handling and closing the tire to fender gap. Ultimately, we agreed to do the X73 this was based on permanently reduced ride height, permanent nature of the handling achieved through springs, shocks, sway bars (less complexity for the long haul for something as basic as suspension) and the fact that I drove a Cayman R as a daily driver which had, essentially, the X73 suspension as standard and had liked it. So, different strokes for each of us but that is why X73 vs PASM for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I second everyone's recommendation for the bi-xenon headlights. I don't have any pictures, but they are the brightest and best lights in any car I have ever driven at night. I also have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with auxiliary 55 watt driving lights and even with those on with the high beams, the Cayman lights are far superior. And if you live in deer country like here, having the lights turn into the corners is fantastic and provides that extra second or two of reaction time that you don't get with standard headlights. Personally, I also like the white dials, especially on a white Cayman!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a very lightly optioned 2015 981. My two key options are x73 and PDLS. The headlights really are great, especially if you plan to drive in curves at night. Extremely bright. I was on the fence regarding the sport seats and in the end went with the standard 2 way. I just finished a mini one day 250 mile road trip on some of northern Cal's great curvy roads without the slightest discomfort and plenty of support.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What is a typical discount on base cayman and S with little to no options?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I definitely agree with swessels on vented seats. It works fast and well. The other is the $500 leather package, which adds leather and nice trim piece to the door handles, which I at least think makes a big difference for a relatively low cost.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts